Military Fitness Brainstorming

Ah chlorine, how I've missed the burning sensation you cause in my eyes. Went for my first real swim in over a year. A few quick warm up laps CSS & FS then a CSS 250m in 5:30. I guess not too bad, all things considered.

Ah chlorine, how I've missed the burning sensation you cause in my eyes. Went for my first real swim in over a year. A few quick warm up laps CSS & FS then a CSS 250m in 5:30. I guess not too bad, all things considered.

Are you using the pool on base? I haven't been up there when it's open (I think.) How is it? The only pool there I've used is the one for RTC. I've been bouncing back and forth between pools at two gyms (one near work and the other downtown.) Both have a tendancy to be crowded in the lap lanes. That combined with my goofy work schedule tends to mean I can't get a swim in when I do bother to budget time and pack a suit/towel. I'd make the slight trek on base if I knew it was okay and not terribly busy.

Yeah, the one on the TSC side.
I was there right when the lap swimming opened at 1630. I swam for 20 mins with no bother. I was the only one actually swimming, plenty of room too. It was the first time I went, but I'd assume that if you're there right at 1630, you'll be GTG.

It's the one just east of the NEX, right? I'll be pulling some extra duty a couple days next week and could probably fit it in right after I'm off.

They recently converted a pool on Bragg to saline- it's awesome.

That might be what they tell you, but it's really just all the pee in the pool...:D

Here's my 5/3/1 spread sheet after 3 4-week cycles.

Also, an interesting video(s) I found on mobilityWOD about using a hook grip for pull ups. I've always kept my thumbs on top of the bar, but I used this grip a few times last week. It feels like it allows your elbows to stay wider, thus utilizing more of your back and less of your arms. If that makes sense... Thanks to Freefalling on this one. He told me if I didn't use mobilityWOD I was essentially raping myself. :thumbsup:

http://www.mobilitywod.com/2012/08/...ip-and-better-pull-up-shoulder-stability.html

Attachments

• 5:3:1.pdf
    26.8 KB · Views: 40

A few questions on 5/3/1 if I may? I've just started reading the 5/3/1 manual.

1. On the 5/3/1 + days, that is taking the weight to lift on that day and doing max reps correct?
So week 1 bench for you was 5+ means at least 5 reps, but do as many as you can. Of which you got 10 reps at 140.
2. How did you break up your lifts and days? Hope that makes sense. I'm trying to think of a better way to say that, but I'm not coming up with much.
3. Any running and accessory/calisthenics work in your week?
*ETA: Reread your post earlier in this thread about how you decided to do this. Is this still the same, or has it evolved into something else?

MWOD never ceases to amaze me with the info they put out. I will be trying out that hook grip asap.

Thanks for sharing Skrewz. :thumbsup:

A few questions on 5/3/1 if I may? I've just started reading the 5/3/1 manual.

1. On the 5/3/1 + days, that is taking the weight to lift on that day and doing max reps correct?
So week 1 bench for you was 5+ means at least 5 reps, but do as many as you can. Of which you got 10 reps at 140.
2. How did you break up your lifts and days? Hope that makes sense. I'm trying to think of a better way to say that, but I'm not coming up with much.
3. Any running and accessory/calisthenics work in your week?
*ETA: Reread your post earlier in this thread about how you decided to do this. Is this still the same, or has it evolved into something else?

MWOD never ceases to amaze me with the info they put out. I will be trying out that hook grip asap.

Thanks for sharing Skrewz. :thumbsup:

1) Correct. The 3rd set on any given day/lift/weight is AMRAP. Week 1 at 5/5/5+ or week 3 at 5/3/1+, the 3rd set is always balls to the wall. If you can only get the RX'd number, leave it at that. So, that 3rd set on week 1 @ 140lbs was 5+ (as many more as you can get) I hope that makes sense.
2) M - Bench/T - Squat/Th - OH Press/F - DL
3) Now that I'm in SD, I'm going to find a CF gym (that hopefully doesn't break the bank) and work in CF on M/W/F. I'm swimming 2x a week as well right now because my foot is bothering me. Getting old is for the birds.
4) I'm still using this as a tool to gain strength. I now have a kitchen directly across the hall from me with a fridge and an oven, so I'll be eating much healthier as well.

I hope this answers your questions. If I've confused you at all or misunderstood your questions (highly likely) just let me know and I'll try to clarify.

...mobilityWOD about using a hook grip for pull ups. I've always kept my thumbs on top of the bar, but I used this grip a few times last week.
Keeping your hands anchored also keeps them from twisting (if you do kipping pullups) and it allows you to put a bit of torque on the bar (like when you "break" the bar or pull it apart when benching). I started doing this about 6 months ago and it helped out a lot with shoulder pain I was having from pull ups.

Keeping your hands anchored also keeps them from twisting (if you do kipping pullups) and it allows you to put a bit of torque on the bar (like when you "break" the bar or pull it apart when benching). I started doing this about 6 months ago and it helped out a lot with shoulder pain I was having from pull ups.

He talks in this vid about pull up mechanics, primarily head position, and how it relates to shoulder problems. I like his vids, just wish I had more time to go through em :thumbsdown:

I have such a hard time breaking down a video like that with so much great information. My brain can't compartmentalize everything contained within because I don't know what a lot of that stuff means. I'm starting to get elbow pain and I think this would be a huge help. All I was really able to take away from it is the position above the bar, kind of an acute angle with chin "arriving" over the bar and the legs/feet angled in with the feet forward of the bar. Can anyone break it down a little more for me as far as the internal/external rotation? Etype , like what you were saying about pull ups and bench pressing.

Hey I have access to the Crossfit Journal...I saw you guys were looking at mobility stuff. If any of you want my login, just hit me up.

Can anyone break it down a little more for me as far as the internal/external rotation? Etype , like what you were saying about pull ups and bench pressing.
When you externally rotate, you tighten up your shoulders. Even if your hands are in a pronated grip (palm facing away) you can torque them outward (externally rotated)- even if they don't move much, the torque will tighten your shoulders. The external rotating is what you hear powerlifters refer to as "breaking the bar". You can do this for push ups by trying to twist your hands externally on the ground (similar to what you do with your feet when squatting), and on bench and pull ups by breaking the bar. Doing it without your fingers wrapped lessens the amount of torque you can put on the bar and your shoulders.

Kelly Starrett gets pretty deep into the how and the why- he's a doctor who lives and breaths this stuff. I listen to what he says with the predetermination that it works, and that he knows more than I ever will.

Hillclimb , you still recovering from all those umbrella drinks you had a couple nights ago? :D
So, this "breaking the bar" is more hand placement which leads to better shoulder position/rotation?
If I'm understanding correctly (I tried it today with the SOFWOD workout), you place your hands on the bar and then move your hands as if you're trying to "break" the pull up bar. This moves the outer part of the hand (pinkie area) down towards the bar and the index/thumb part up. These movements are very slight, as you pointed out Etype , but am I doing this correctly? This, in turn, allows more torque and better rotation via better positioning of the shoulder on the way up for pull ups.
Finding a pull up bar around here that allows my feet to hang freely is a whole 'nother issue... :-/

Back