Military Fitness Brainstorming

Sorry man! I wish. That night turned into a rescue op when my friend got kicked out of the bar. Had to be up 3 hours later for class too. :ninja:

From what I gathered from the video, he's just talking about a neutral position and the little things that will break your posture/positioning. So for instance, using a pullup bar that is too short for you will break your positioning and cause over extension(i believe that ties in with rib cage positioning), keeping your head tall and facing forward vs chin pointed up changing your spines neutral position. And keeping the ribcage pointed down makes it easier to externally rotate. When the shoulder is internally rotated, it is very loose, unstable and not a good position to be taking a beating in, as well as place unnecessary angle/pressure on the elbows.

I hope that made sense/I interpreted that correctly.

SkrewzLoose,
Yep, it's pretty subtle- but you should feel a slight bit more tension in your shoulder, you'll be hanging more by musculature and not so much connective tissue.

To follow up what Hillclimb said about keeping a neutral position- I noticed I had a lot better form doing chest-to-bar pull ups because it's pointless to try to reach with your chin because that's not the goal. Now that's all I do- when I'm no longer able to get my chest up the bar, it's time to quit because I know my form will start falling apart.

SkrewzLoose,
Yep, it's pretty subtle- but you should feel a slight bit more tension in your shoulder, you'll be hanging more by musculature and not so much connective tissue.

To follow up what Hillclimb said about keeping a neutral position- I noticed I had a lot better form doing chest-to-bar pull ups because it's pointless to try to reach with your chin because that's not the goal. Now that's all I do- when I'm no longer able to get my chest up the bar, it's time to quit because I know my form will start falling apart.

So are you saying not to go to muscle failure, just go till you're form becomes compromised, and then begin a new set?

I switched to the NB Minimus after my first pair of Frees. I think I was trying to be cool. Figured I would have outgrown that a long time ago. Anyhow, I have a set of the Free Run 3.0 as well. I wore them for the first time today and needless to say, I won't be switching back.

Picked up a pair of Nike Lunarglide 3's. Went from shinsplints to running on a cloud. Best shoe I've ever worn.

Picked up a pair of Nike Lunarglide 3's. Went from shinsplints to running on a cloud. Best shoe I've ever worn.

I was on the fence between those and the free runs when I went shopping. My brother has both and said all around, he preferred the free runs. We're very different though. 6'2" 220lbs and 5'8" 160lbs.

Have you tried the free's? I'd like to hear a second opinion on a comparison of the two.

I was on the fence between those and the free runs when I went shopping. My brother has both and said all around, he preferred the free runs. We're very different though. 6'2" 220lbs and 5'8" 160lbs.

Have you tried the free's? I'd like to hear a second opinion on a comparison of the two.
I have tried free's, but never owned a pair.

I got my LG's after going to a running store (not champs, or footlocker). They put me on a treadmill for a couple minutes and filmed my feet, ankles and legs to analyze my gait. Then the woman/marathon beast that worked there picked out a few shoes based on what she saw. From there on out it was personal preference.

I think that's what it comes down to also between free's and LG's. They both seem pretty similar to me. I'm not really sure how much height and weight has to do with shoe choice as much as your running gait, how your foot strikes and the length of your legs in relation to one-another. I can only really speak for the LG's though. Those shoes combined with concentrating on proper running form from tips I got here and other places on the web, eliminated my shinsplints and shot my times down on my runs dramatically.

I recently got a pair of the Saucony Fastwitch's and I love them. Great for everything from running to CrossFit workouts. They are considered a "neutral" shoe and are good for people with higher arches.

This is more of a "what I saw in the gym today" post vice brain storming, but anyway...
Older Asian (looking) guy over at the DB rack, near the heavy end. Picks up 2 125# DB. I'm thinking, shit, one of those things weighs as much as he does. He struggles to make it 5 feet away from the rack and then puts them on the ground. I stop what I'm doing so I can see what this guy is about to do...and possibly administer some kind of first aid in case he breaks his spleen or something. He starts "dead-lifting" the 2 125# DB. And by "dead-lifting" I mean he's just bending over at the waist, picking them up and then putting them back down with a rounded back the whole time. He puts the 125s back and picks up 135s...then 150s...does the same thing.
How do people like this not seriously break themselves? I've seen poor form due to way too much weight on a bar before but this was in a whole 'nother league.

Oh, and by the way, if you're doing seated calf raises and your forearms and triceps are twitching because they're being worked too much on the handles on top, you're probably doing it wrong big fella... :rolleyes:

Count me as one of the people for whom minimalist shoes and POSE running didn't work for. I first tried the Nike Frees, and later the New Balance Minimus, but no matter what I tried my run times increased and my knee were constantly sore. I will grant that I never had real instruction on POSE running, but I did what I had read. So the question now is this: What are some good shoes that I can heel strike all day in?

Count me as one of the people for whom minimalist shoes and POSE running didn't work for. I first tried the Nike Frees, and later the New Balance Minimus, but no matter what I tried my run times increased and my knee were constantly sore. I will grant that I never had real instruction on POSE running, but I did what I had read. So the question now is this: What are some good shoes that I can heel strike all day in?
I'd advise you go to a running shoe store if you haven't already. The good ones will do to you what they did to me- put you on a treadmill and have someone who knows their stuff analyze your gait and arches and recommend a pair of shoes based on that data. It's worked for me a few of my buddies.

If the store is any good they'll let you run in them to get a feel for them too.

Alright, this has been consuming my thoughts so I have to type this out or I'll never fall asleep. I'm going to give this a no BS 2 month trial run to see what happens. Actually doing it will expose any weaknesses or shortcomings.
  • 4 Days a week, M-T-T-F, Wednesday is optional for recovery work.
  • 3 Protocols-
    1. Strength- Basically a Westside style max effort day complete with repetition method assistance work. I'll alternate squat/DL and press days.
    2. Single Mode Endurance- Run, ruck, row, or swim.
    3. Crossfit Style Conditioning- I'm going to use the MGW method to randomize it.
  • I'll go through each training protocol in order- with 4 workout days in the week, each week will be different.
  • I'm going to exclude everything that has historically cause injury. If I use barbells in conditioning workouts, I'm going to front load it in the circuit and separate it with prescribed breaks James Fitzgerald style. No high rep box jumps, no sumo deadlift high pulls, no kipping pull ups.
  • I'm also going to cut back on the oly lifting. It's something that's been disputed by a lot of folks who are smarter than me. If it comes into question, there has to be some efficacy to the argument. Here's how I feel about it- you can take a long time practicing it and getting good at it, or you can spend that time doing box jumps, squats, OHPs, etc and reap the benefits of actually exercising and not practicing exercising.
I'm going to start out tomorrow with a strength day. Probably box squats, then GHD sit ups and GHRs.

Resurrection as I would like to see how this ended up. I've read through the thread and didn't really see much of an end-goal kind of summary.

I'm SERIOUSLY considering starting to (covertly) video tape some folks at the gym here on base. I've seen some funny/dumb shit go on at gyms where I work out, but some of the non sense I've seen here over the past 2 weeks is mind boggling.

WTF!?
So I'm using this week (supposed to be my de-load week for 5/3/1) to see where my 1RM are for my 4 lifts. This is the end of my 4th cycle or my 12th week. Today was bench.
I did a light warm up of:
95 x 5
135 x 3
Then I put 185 on the bar. Got it up with just a bit of struggle, not much. I was pumped.
195...couldn't get it past 90* and had to rack it on the lowest hook. I was pissed. 185 was my starting 1RM 12 weeks ago. I've posted my spread sheets as I've progressed, am I doing something really fucking wrong here? Not sure what to think...:(

Not sure if this is related or not, but decided to do the BB complex as a warm up for my conditioning after my lift. I did 3 rounds @ 95lbs and felt better than I ever have at that weight. I didn't have to drop the bar once and my resting between sets was minimal. What the dick!?

SkrewzLoose, Hillclimb hit the nail on the head. Deload weeks are there for a reason. Even if you feel good, your body is not primed for maximal output after 3 hard weeks of training. Your numbers would very likely be different had you followed the deload week and then tested the following week.

Back