Military Misconduct

Wild, I had an LT in one of my old units go to a birthday party where one of Soldiers shot a dude in the eye with an airsoft pistol. He was relieved for cause...but when I reviewed his OER it was all favorable. His CO didn't have the balls to destroy his career. He was no shit the worst PL in our SQDN. I had a HMMWV get pulled over without a TM and I got fried on my OER...

I've seen some crazy shit in barracks but this ^^^ is a first. BITD it never would've happened. We had open squad bays with just some wall lockers separating enlisted from NCOs. Nobody had "rooms" until E5...and E5's had to double up in a room.

West Point's Garrison Commander did...something?

Top US Army Garrison West Point officer suspended pending investigation

The U.S. Military Academy's Public Affairs Office confirmed the suspension of Col. Anthony Bianchi with Fox News Digital but did not provide further details.

"U.S. Army Garrison West Point Commander has been suspended of his duties for alleged conduct pending the outcome of an investigation," it said in a statement.

I pulled up his LinkedIn page and he's spent a total of 6-ish years on staff at West Point.

I have a hard time believing the Governor didn't know about the investigation. The article calls it a "Pentagon investigation", but he was Guard so that's an NGB thing; even GO's answer to the NGB. Given that the Guard is "dual hatted" so to speak, the Governor is in this guy's chain. The Gov. should have told the general to stay home. I can't fault Biden's staff, but the Utah governor and NGB...they knew.

I have a hard time believing the Governor didn't know about the investigation. The article calls it a "Pentagon investigation", but he was Guard so that's an NGB thing; even GO's answer to the NGB. Given that the Guard is "dual hatted" so to speak, the Governor is in this guy's chain. The Gov. should have told the general to stay home. I can't fault Biden's staff, but the Utah governor and NGB...they knew.
I'm talking about the vegetable of a bi-pedal object that claims to be potus. The article didn't reference the governor not knowing, I'm assuming he did. But how this guy got to be a guest at the SOTU and then greet the potus person shows a massive failure by Byron's staff.

I'm talking about the vegetable of a bi-pedal object that claims to be potus. The article didn't reference the governor not knowing, I'm assuming he did. But how this guy got to be a guest at the SOTU and then greet the potus person shows a massive failure by Byron's staff.
It's the Guard.
He's politically connected and (FWIW) all GO IG investigations are handled by the DoD IG, which is why the can nail Guard GO's (two of my former Wing Commanders were nailed this way).
Probably a good Mormon too.

Plenary of misconduct inside and out of the military on this one.

The Inside Story of How the Navy Spent Billions on the “Little Crappy Ship”

What, I thought these things were here to support Marines in the Littorals? Like the Navy was preparing for this stupid force design 15 years before the Marines thought of the Littoral regiment...

The LCS, especially the Freedom class jas been pretty trash. But I love how the ships were designed around "modules" which were just cargo containers slotted into the back that never developed.

Ship acquisition in this country is so bad that we don't have a cruiser replacement, when the LCS was first designed there were other ship designs going forward. DDG (X) which became the Zumwalt. We were suppose to order 50, then 10, and now 3...the FFG (X) and CG(X) programs got killed.

But you know, nevermind just order more Burke Block II IS?

F-35 program is almost 200B over budget? Why didn't we order more airframes at the outset to keep our unit cost down?

FFG(X) is going forward, but with only 20 planned. Arleigh Burke's have another 20 planned, but upgrades have made them very, very capable ships. We could arguably use more, but at some point we need to fund and deliver a replacement.*

Acquisition, and its failures, covers books with a range of topics. Take one, concurrency, which substantially drove up the costs of the F-35 and Gerald Ford carriers. Add new technology which might barely be in the prototype stage, and you have a recipe for a costly disaster. @BloodStripe and @DA SWO have some contracting/ acquisition experience (I'm on the very fringe of that world), so they probably have a better perspective.

And then we have politics where saving a few hundred jobs becomes more important than a nation's needs because votes.

* - To highlight some of our myopic thinking, take two portions of our nuclear command and control network: the E-4 Nighthawk and the E-6 Mercury; both are "doomsday" planes, but the E-6 is capable of remotely delivering ICBMs. Yup, the planes have the ability and authority to launch ICBMs from anywhere on the globe. Those planes are based on the 747 and 707 respectively. The E-4's were built in the 73-75 timeframe and the E-6's are the last 707's built in the late 80's. The Navy is replacing the E-6 using an airframe based on the C-130J, but that replacement won't hit the fleet until...2030 at the earliest. The E-4 doesn't even have a replacement frame selected.

We're building new ICBM's and new ballistic missiles, but the nuke C2 infrastructure won't be overhauled for at least a decade. We're talking about using existing airframe types, of which you have maybe a dozen, probably less, capable of performing those missions (size, endurance, cost of operation) and it still take 3-5-ish years to select a specific airframe. That's choosing, not buying, not engineering, not building, just "Hey, let's use that."

We don't just have a politics problem, we have an acquisition problem because everybody and their brother wants a say. Everyone wants a piece, so in essence that also politics. Human nature rears its ugly head and costs us billions in the process. That's all before we get into how we pay for such trinkets and yearly budgets and blah, blah, blah.

I've typed enough and don't feel like proofreading.

Well well well...believe women they say?

Well, how does Jon Meredith get his reputation and career back? And will his accuser and her husband face stockade for this?

The evidence shows Jon Meredith’s “accuser and her husband, a lieutenant colonel, colluded to create a false sexual-assault allegation against Meredith because the accuser’s husband was upset about the rater comments on his officer evaluation report,” Bunn said. The evidence was discovered in the couple’s cell phone messages from October 2022, she said.

Charges dropped against Fort Cavazos colonel facing court-martial over sexual allegations

Well well well...believe women they say?

Well, how does Jon Meredith get his reputation and career back? And will his accuser and her husband face stockade for this?

Charges dropped against Fort Cavazos colonel facing court-martial over sexual allegations
I don’t understand the article. He was cleared of the court martial charges but the Army is still taking admin action against him? So he won’t go to prison, but the his Army career is still over. Was there some truth to to original accusations or something?

The stuff about the accused’s wife is wild. But given the nature of the underlying offense that got this whole thing started, maybe drop her charges too. Getting relieved of brigade command is probably enough.

Back