Missing/Captured: Bowe Bergdahl

God damned sad that the military judicial system is just as crooked as the civilian world.

Politics should never play a part, but I think it did in this case. I cant be sure ,and hoped it wouldn't, but it appears the Judge felt like he had to impose a sentence which would clearly separate him from Trump's comments. IMO, its cowardice to allow the thought of what others think to sway your decision from right to wrong. I understand the Judge was between a rock and a hard place, but now I am not sure how he can look in a mirror.

Just another example of President Trump spouting off before thinking through the ramifications of what he's about to say. I am disappointed in the verdict, and I am disappointed that it very well may have turned out differently if the Commander in Chief had maintained a bit more professionalism.

I've thought about this one a lot and I think I land in disagreement with most of the forum. Bergdahl was a stupid Soldier who did something stupid with terrible consequences for everyone involved - including himself. But did so without malice or intent, and paid five years of his life as a prisoner to the Taliban - that's hard time by anyone's measure.

I'm not sure what I would have done in the judge's place but, I think his verdict was in the realm of justice. I don't think the judge or Bergdahl deserve to be pilloried like a Manning or a Calley. I don't think what Bergdahl did or the sentence he deserved was commensurate with theirs - and he served a much harsher punishment.

Just my opinion, I see where others are coming from - just not the way I see it.

I've thought about this one a lot and I think I land in disagreement with most of the forum. Bergdahl was a stupid Soldier who did something stupid with terrible consequences for everyone involved - including himself. But did so without malice or intent, and paid five years of his life as a prisoner to the Taliban - that's hard time by anyone's measure.

I'm not sure what I would have done in the judge's place but, I think his verdict was in the realm of justice. I don't think the judge or Bergdahl deserve to be pilloried like a Manning or a Calley. I don't think what Bergdahl did or the sentence he deserved was commensurate with theirs - and he served a much harsher punishment.

Just my opinion, I see where others are coming from - just not the way I see it.

I agree with you.

and paid five years of his life as a prisoner to the Taliban -

I think there is a lot to be said for this, and I also have long believed that part of the Bergdahl feeding frenzy had to do with:
- President Obama traded 5 “badguys” to get him back
- President Obama paraded Bergdahl’s parents out expecting ... what exactly? Well that backfired - especially once dad opened his yap and folks tracked down his Twitter Page.
- Bergdahl is rather feminine looking
- Bergdahl claimed he was trying to get to another unit to report “whatever”. Well in Merica, we like to think our military is near perfect and are not really interested in rabble-rousers who claim otherwise.
- Members of the military died and were injured as part of the search.

In the end I strongly believe that he needed to come home. You cannot really “know” the circumstances of his disappearance until he is free, and “what if” he was captured when he went to take a leak, or wandered too far and got complacent? You cannot knowingly leave a soldier as a POW. As a student of Vietnam, that’s a sensitive one for me. I’m still not convinced that there was not more that could have been done for our Nam POW’s.

To add - i still think the judge was wrong. And sent the wrong message. He could have said “stuff” and ended with the fact that Bergdahl still owes a debt to America and that will cost him 1 year in prison.

- Bergdahl is rather feminine looking

Could you elaborate more on this please? I'm not arguing or disagreeing with you. Would like more insight on whether you mean physically or due to his actions/behavior.

Could you elaborate more on this please? I'm not arguing or disagreeing with you. Would like more insight on whether you mean physically or due to his actions/behavior.

In my opinion, he looks (in appearance and mannerisms) rather effeminate.

See where you are coming from here but I still think it sets a new standard. I agree with Ooh-Rah that some prison time would have been appropriate here. Also, I think its a little "soft" to say he was just stupid. Apparently, his past performance had shown otherwise. He did make a stupid decision but he was not a young and dumb soldier. I believe he understood the repercussions. Someone said it, but soldiers get dishonorable discharges for a lot less harmful offenses in garrison.

See where you are coming from here but I still think it sets a new standard. I agree with Ooh-Rah that some prison time would have been appropriate here. Also, I think its a little "soft" to say he was just stupid. Apparently, his past performance had shown otherwise. He did make a stupid decision but he was not a young and dumb soldier. I believe he understood the repercussions. Someone said it, but soldiers get dishonorable discharges for a lot less harmful offenses in garrison.

Soldiers definitely get punished for far less - but leaders sometimes get off for significant offenses as well, GOs abusing subordinates, lying, etc. and retiring with benefits as a COL (I'm thinking Sinclair but I'm sure there are other examples). Shit like Abu Ghraib where the Soldiers were fried and leaders walked away - that shit had a ton of operational and strategic consequence that got people killed.

Again, I think it comes down to opinion and how you weight things/perspective. I'm not saying mine is correct - I can just see how the judge could have come to his decision without being a traitor, accomplice, etc.

Desertion in War Time carries the maximum penalty of death...the Authority presiding just created a new minimum. Bergdahl needed to sacrifice portions of his life for those he got killed. What some are saying is that it's okay because he hung out with the Taliban for five years. This guy is a scumbag and you should have no sympathy for him at all.

Every time you degrade a standard, you've set a new standard.

Desertion in War Time carries the maximum penalty of death...the Authority presiding just created a new minimum. Bergdahl needed to sacrifice portions of his life for those he got killed. What some are saying is that it's okay because he hung out with the Taliban for five years. This guy is a scumbag and you should have no sympathy for him at all.

Every time you degrade a standard, you've set a new standard.

I agree with you. But technically, we're not in a state of war.

I agree with you. But technically, we're not in a state of war.

We are in a state a war with multiple countries. If you're arguing that Congress has not formally declared war, roger; but that doesn't make a difference in the misbehavior charge in the UCMJ, which specifies "the enemy" irrespective of the status of the conflict: What is an Article 99 Violation of the UCMJ

Back