MKD Knives Combat Bowie WIP

I had this DS in OSUT (SFC Thomas) he was 10th Mountain veteran and was part of the group that pulled TF Ranger out of Mogadishu, he had 3 kills with an E tool (said they ran out of ammo quick and resorted to smashing and breaking). He was the talk of Sand Hill around that time frame; he would give the in processing speech down at 30th AG always intro’ed by another DS “this is SFC Thomas, he has 3 enemy kills with a shovel” then Thomas would give the speech while twirling an E tool. LOL dude looked crazy as shit…

HA! That is fucking awesome mate!

3 kills, no mean achievement at all! Kudos! That is a man dedicated to his profession, and yes, I'm sure he was crazy as batshit. Seen many many that are.

I had this DS in OSUT (SFC Thomas) he was 10th Mountain veteran and was part of the group that pulled TF Ranger out of Mogadishu, he had 3 kills with an E tool (said they ran out of ammo quick and resorted to smashing and breaking). He was the talk of Sand Hill around that time frame; he would give the in processing speech down at 30th AG always intro’ed by another DS “this is SFC Thomas, he has 3 enemy kills with a shovel” then Thomas would give the speech while twirling an E tool. LOL dude looked crazy as shit…

Dude carried an e-tool in Mogadishu- seriously? Was he going to dig in at Bakara Market or something? Interesting story, just sounds a little fishy to me.

Interesting, I'm not that versed with the story, did the 10th get into heavy combat during the battle?

If a Ranger had an e-tool I'd have no problem believing it was at least possible. 10th? No idea.

I just don't see anyone carrying an e-tool in that environment. Then again, maybe it was SOP for the unit, I think it was mandatory in the 101st when I was in; yeah I did a lot of digging in with my TOW platoon :rolleyes:

Dude carried an e-tool in Mogadishu- seriously? Was he going to dig in at Bakara Market or something? Interesting story, just sounds a little fishy to me.

I don’t know for sure if he actually did or not, just the story we all got and he never denied it. I know he was one of the very few DS’s who had a CIB and combat patch (I think 4 DS’s all 10 Mountain from Mogadishu), and my silly PV1 ass was not going to question the truth of it. LMAO:eek:

FYI: I have heard more than a few accounts of E tools, Bayonets and enemy weapons being used by soldiers who were in Mogadishu. But I was not there so it could be BS, you never know though…

I don’t know for sure if he actually did or not, just the story we all got and he never denied it. I know he was one of the very few DS’s who had a CIB and combat patch (I think 4 DS’s all 10 Mountain from Mogadishu), and my silly PV1 ass was not going to question the truth of it. LMAO:eek:

FYI: I have heard more than a few accounts of E tools, Bayonets and enemy weapons being used by soldiers who were in Mogadishu. But I was not there so it could be BS, you never know though…

Roger, good call :)

Not saying it didn't happen, just saying it's a bit unusual. If you're going legit hand-to-hand, it means that you AND the enemy have BOTH run out of bullets at the exact same time; otherwise someone's getting shot.

Interesting, I'm not that versed with the story, did the 10th get into heavy combat during the battle?

If a Ranger had an e-tool I'd have no problem believing it was at least possible. 10th? No idea.

When Task Force Ranger and the SAR team were pinned down during a raid in what later became known as the Battle of Mogadishu, 10th Mountain units provided infantry for the UN quick reaction force sent to rescue them. The 10th had two soldiers killed in the fighting, which was the longest sustained firefight by regular US Army forces since the Vietnam War.[4]

Pulled from 10th's History.

Roger, good call :)

Not saying it didn't happen, just saying it's a bit unusual. If you're going legit hand-to-hand, it means that you AND the enemy have BOTH run out of bullets at the exact same time; otherwise someone's getting shot.

Not necessarily, especially in an urban environment. Coming up on a corner and all the sudden a dude pops out and runs into you, if all you have left is an E tool then you got to make it work or yes you will get shot. I think I would be jumping into an up armored truck if I was out of ammo, or at least grabbing whatever weapon did have ammo. Who knows, it was a different Army back then. I could see some commanders pushing his unit through even being black on ammo. I would never want to be in that situation though.

Pulled from 10th's History.

Yeah I know they went in etc... but my limited knowledge was that the 10th didn't do to much outside of their vehicles.
Two dead tells me the 10th were bloody lucky or they didn't get into much heavy fighting that would cause someone to be A, black on ammo and/or almost overrun and needed to use an etool.

Mara, trust me, I'm going to take weapons that many will think are strange. When is the last time someone was killed in combat with a Viking axe? ;) :D

Pussy!

DS: "I killed motherfuckers with an etool!"

pv1 JAB: "Bullshit you cunt!"
:D

LMAO dude when I was a PV1 cherry I was scared to death of anyone with chevrons, don’t get me started on a senior NCO/Officer (I remember literally shaking at the knees during a few encounters). I was a “roger, moving” kind of troop up into my first deployment (watched a few buddies die) and I changed to a “fuck you, you do that stupid shit” kind of troop. :-|

Yeah I know they went in etc... but my limited knowledge was that the 10th didn't do to much outside of their vehicles.
Two dead tells me the 10th were bloody lucky or they didn't get into much heavy fighting that would cause someone to be A, black on ammo and/or almost overrun and needed to use an etool.

Mara, trust me, I'm going to take weapons that many will think are strange. When is the last time someone was killed in combat with a Viking axe? ;) :D

Somalia, 1993

On 3 October 1993, 2-14 Infantry was part of the quick reaction force which helped rescue members of Special Operations Task Force Ranger which had conducted a daylight raid on an enemy stronghold.

2-14 Infantry fought a moving battle for 3 hours from the gates of the Port of Mogadishu to the Rangers' perimeter. They successfully linked up with the Rangers and then began to withdraw under fire.

During the 12 hour ordeal, 29 soldiers from 2nd Battalion were wounded and one was killed.
[/QUOTE]

About complete on this knife for a Chaplain currently deployed. I finished the handle on this and put it on and MAN.. I just had to stand back a check this thing out! This is a multi cam micarta, I have used it before but it was on highly textured handles and not on a more traditionally contoured handle.. man it's sexy.. it made this whole knife. I had just washed these and apparently didnt dry them enough, hence the water spots you see both on blades and handles. Thought you guys might like to see it. . I of course want to hear all of your thoughts on this knife.. the good, the bad, the ugly... I know you guys need encouragment, everyone is SO concerned about hurting people's feelings!!:ROFLMAO:

g1.JPG g2.JPG g3.JPG

Troll.... I need you (never thought I would start a sentence with those words:eek:) and your camera skills... I suck at photography!
Enjoy!

Having watched this knife develop (all that needs to be said on the OPSEC side)... the final product is truly the Sword of God for the Chaplain:thumbsup::bow:... Saint Michael himself would carry it proudly.

Keep the design specs for this one... it's going to fly out the door.

I will bring the camera down and snap photos.

Ok... thanks to the tutoring and persuasivness of our resident Italian Paratrooper... We (MKD) are now on facebook. It was a international effort but we pulled it off and I have stepped into the 21st Century! I have thrown off the old useless vestiges of face to face interaction with people and now concern myself only with a society that I can neither touch or confirm authenticity. Where eveyone is recognized by a picture known as an Avatar and are judged by the wit and humor of said picture... LOL.. I am actually not THAT bitter about my surrender to the IPOD Nation... it's actually kinda fun lol...
So make me your friend!!! Or I will start a blog and slam all of you!! Ha!! Facebook UN: Gary Melton and Melton Knife and Design.... See you there!

Back