MKD Knives Combat Bowie WIP

Mike,
.. It never get's used and most are honestly pieces of garbage. ... I am not sure who makes the particular one you have, and that makes all the difference. ..keep in mind each one was the lowest bidder at the time. ...do you think ANY company that is shooting for the LOWEST bid to MASS PRODUCE a knife is going to be meticulous while heat treating? ... The M9 is also probably the most counterfeited knife in the world and hell some of those may be better than the GI version and I am pretty sure they are made from melted down Coke cans.. ;)
So to summarize... it is an outstanding and innovative design that served a purpose for the average infantryman. I think because of poor quality materials and workmanship it has gotten a well deserved bad reputation, ...

Yeah, what he said. PLUS, those spine thingies get stuck in bodies when you stab them bad guys too...

Tell me what you guys think. You guys are a perfect sounding board.. you all actually USE your knives!
Suggestions.. comments.. critiques..

How stable is it while in action?

There isn't a whole lot of contact with the hand unlike a T handle punch dagger (for example), so that would be my one internet viewing concern.

My .02c

I also believe bayonets today on the modern battalfield are probably out dated and truth be told, no one carries them anymore. So if you did get into some crazy situation and you needed one, no one would have one to use anyways.
Didnt realize I had so much opinion on this subject.. lol

(This is not a dig at you Gary)

GAAAH! :mad:

I want to pull my teeth out with a chainsaw every time I hear this said.
The bayonet is a viable tool on the modern battlefield.

It places the user several feet away from the enemy he is engaging.
It is psychologically empowering to the user.

I have read/heard of many reports of troops running low or out of ammo, then reverting to or thinking about reverting to a fighting knife.
That is fucking stupid, the bayonet is the first line once you are black on ammo (regular troops without pistols) and it takes no transition (providing people have done their jobs properly and bayonets were fixed at the appropriate times).

After that you may use fighting knives/tomahawks etc...

Is a bayonet going to be used much? No, of course not but that is irrelevant IMO. How often have people thrown grenades, used Bangalore torpedo's, fighting knives, tomahawks etc...
How often does a CCW holder use their pistol?

There isn't a whole lot of contact with the hand unlike a T handle punch dagger (for example), so that would be my one internet viewing concern.

My .02c

The stability is provided in a much different manner than a punch dagger. You can easily use this as such but a punch dagger probably does that job a little beter. For your normal knife work I.E. Slicing items, cleaning fish or other game etc this does a MUCH better job. I still am surprised how secure and stable it feels and easy it is to work with. I'll some of the guys who bought one to write a quick review.

I have read/heard of many reports of troops running low or out of ammo, then reverting to or thinking about reverting to a fighting knife.
That is fucking stupid, the bayonet is the first line once you are black on ammo (regular troops without pistols) and it takes no transition (providing people have done their jobs properly and bayonets were fixed at the appropriate times).

Is a bayonet going to be used much? No, of course not but that is irrelevant IMO. How often have people thrown grenades, used Bangalore torpedo's, fighting knives, tomahawks etc...

The stability is provided in a much different manner than a punch dagger. You can easily use this as such but a punch dagger probably does that job a little beter. For your normal knife work I.E. Slicing items, cleaning fish or other game etc this does a MUCH better job. I still am surprised how secure and stable it feels and easy it is to work with. I'll some of the guys who bought one to write a quick review.

Understood, interesting. Looks like a cool little knife.
Thanks.

My .02c

As far as a dig... Dig away brother! My wife regularly reminds me how often I am wrong. I wasnt dodging the second part of your question, I answered the knife issue and tried to answer the second part from my wife's phone and I fat fingered something and my very well articulated, brilliant response (ha ha even I think that is funny)was forever lost into cyber space and now you'll have to settle for something much less ....
I know what you are saying essentially, "it's better to have and not need than to need and not have" much like a first aid kit or any type of insurance...
Personally, I just disagree applying that concept to the carry and use of a bayonet for several reasons. First being that after 2 tours to Iraq and Afghanistan I have never personally been in any situation nor even so much as heard of a situation that would warrant the use of a bayonet. (not to say it never happend) My other issue is that as stated above, all the GI bayonets I have ever seen were either junk or in such a state of disrepair that I dont think they are worth carrying. My main issue is that even in the peak of either Iraq or Afghanistan the moments where a bayonet could have been used I guarantee would be thousands of times less likely than the benefits of the use of a CCW stateside. I think the possibilities of the use of a bayonet are honestly SO miniscule that the space they take up just could be used by something much more useful. That brings me to another point.... Today the modern battlefield requires the soldier to carry more garbage with us than ever before. We have tons of shit we need/want to carry, then a ton more that we are required to carry just to even leave the wire. Before I redeployed in APR of this year from Afghanistan we were required to carry on us TWO different Personal Locator Beacons... both taking up more space and weighing more than the bayonet we are speaking of. This is just one of many of the requirements, and soldiers today are more than ever faced making hard choices on what to take and what to leave, what to leave in the truck and what to keep on their person etc... We all have at least one radio, all have double basic load most times, all have water (a must given our war theatres), all have body armor and helmet... I mean all of our trucks are so full of shit you can’t move; I mean they really are ridiculous. I know we have to consider all the complex scenarios and possibilities that we may confront on the modern battlefield and then do some risk management when deciding what gear we have to take. Given all this, I still believe the bayonet is an antiquated fighting tool and is WAY down the list of items that I would considered to take on a mission and don’t because of lack of space. IMHO
I also know now that I have stated all this, sometime in the future I am gonna be in a trench somewhere, out of ammo, and the jihad horde barrelling down on me, wishing I had a freakin bayonet!! THANKS Pardus!!

Thanks for the input Gary.
I can't argue with most of your points.
I'd like to put a decent blade onto a bayonet and carry that as a multi purpose fighting/utility/bayonet weapon. Something I think should be easily done right?

Best bayonet Ive ever seen is the British P1888, If I could fit that to my M4 I'd take it with me.

Remember, the bayonet has been written off as obsolete many times since the late 19th century and has been found time and time again to be indispensable despite that. ;)

Although I agree that the current issue bayonet is a piece of shit and needs improvement, I also agree that a bayonet is a very necessary piece of equipment for an Infantryman. I believe the Black Watch regiment did a bayonet charge after running dry on ammo during an ambush in Iraq 2005 time frame, but I could be wrong. I carried a bayonet on both of my deployments to Iraq as did everyone in my IBCT (SOP).

I believe the Black Watch regiment did a bayonet charge after running dry on ammo during an ambush in Iraq 2005 time frame, but I could be wrong.

:eek:
Wow. I didn't even know that kinds of stuff still happened. I'm imagining a 18th century bayonet charge a la Napoleon. That takes some serious balls.

:eek:
Wow. I didn't even know that kinds of stuff still happened. I'm imagining a 18th century bayonet charge a la Napoleon. That takes some serious balls.

:eek: :rolleyes:

Wow, that is the kinda shit that makes me shake my head...

hmmm... sounds like an an updated bayonet design may be in order. I mean the thing is, if you have a nice, usable (trust-worthy) fighting knife that could quickly and easily transfer to the role of bayonet.. who (combat arms) wouldnt have one? This idea is growing on me. I mean a custom bayonet made of some real quality steel. I may have to do some figuring on this.

The stability is provided in a much different manner than a punch dagger. You can easily use this as such but a punch dagger probably does that job a little better. For your normal knife work I.E. Slicing items, cleaning fish or other game etc this does a MUCH better job. I still am surprised how secure and stable it feels and easy it is to work with. I'll ask some of the guys who bought one to write a quick review.

hmmm... sounds like an an updated bayonet design may be in order. I mean the thing is, if you have a nice, usable (trust-worthy) fighting knife that could quickly and easily transfer to the role of bayonet.. who (combat arms) wouldnt have one? This idea is growing on me. I mean a custom bayonet made of some real quality steel. I may have to do some figuring on this.

thinking out loud.... non knife geeks, this might hurt your heads....

The re-designed bayonnet would need a differential heat treat so that there was edge retention, and the flexibility/toughness/durability/bend in the body of the blade:thumbsup:... a smooth austensite/martensite transition is going to be essential or a layered laminate transition for edge to body:-/.... it's the heat treat that's going to be the bear on it.... the basic design still needs to be a modified spear point with a short sharpened edge on top and a full sharpened edge on the bottom - so the there would have to be a "C" shaped heat treat at the "stabby end" of the design - hmmm...... a bayonnet that actually stays sharp enough to use, and isn't brittle ..... differentially heat treated Powdered metal or a well done multilayer laminate of powdered and nominals to get the edge and the light tool/spring for the body.....

Gary... this could be doable.... not cheap but doable.... for an outstanding addition for Infantrymen... I've seen your stuff... but 'tiny', 'doc', 'gun bunny' and the 'mad african' might have to be asked some questions..... at least by me.

Missed the sarcasm. Badly.

lol welcome to the internets!

Bloody good idea!

I could combat test that for you if you have it up and running in the next 6 months.

Despite being a friend of the Troll I'm begining to think you are a good guy. :D

... Despite being a friend of the Troll I'm begining to think you are a good guy. :D

If it matters to anyone, the soon to be Mr Melton is good to go in my book. He's managed to land a hot wife, and his kids are adorable and well minded. Of course, we'll see what happens when they reach the teenage part of life. I'm sure the boyz will be properly trained to repel all potential boyfriends of their sisters... :D

LL

Back