MOS and becoming a Ranger

Sepukku is my only honorable escape...

I think the Troll has a blade for that.

A Cold Steel Tanto would be appropriate for seppuku... it's finding the good Katana for the guy standing beside you to have a single swing t oseparate head from neck....

On the thread... LAPEs sucks, especially if the pallets are not packed properly. Normal resupply bundles tended to survive much better.

Watched this type of extraction of heavy equipment many times in the 80's out on Sicily DZ. (LAPES)

Wouldn't want to be in that bird when they release the drogue shoot.

X_SF is correct. Resupply was generally good to go but other heavy equip was usually damanged one way or the other. I don't care how much of that packing shit you put underneath the equipment.

Lapes is gone; though SOF Crews still have HSLLADS capabilities (different, but similar).

Lapes pallets had a tendency to dip down, catching the leading edge of the pallet. This usually resulted in the pallet rolling down the DZ.

This was on the youtube clip...

C-130 Hercules mishap. Terrible disaster.
Plane Crash
I thought i should add some info, mind this is from a comment and may not be entirely accurate.
More info:
"1) The pilot was descending at a rate of 2,200ft/min from an altitude of 1,100ft.
2) The pilot had tried a similiar stunt 2 days prior during a practice run, and was lucky enough to pull out. When confronted by his crew for reckless flying he only laughed at them, subsequently the navigator went to the Commander and DEMANDED to be removed from that plane (lucky for him). Though the commander did switch nav's he did however applaud the pilot for such fine flying, instead of grounding his butt."
"It was Sicily, At Ft. Bragg in 1987 at the CAPEX. Capabilities exercise. I was the wrecker operator on duty that day with the 782 MT BN 82nd Abn. The CAPEX continued on down at the firing range after the explosion. There was also a heavy drop (Gamma goat) that was dropped in a farm about 15 miles away from the intended dropsite. LAPES was a good system back in the sheriden days. - fj40jeep (6 months ago)

Low Altitude Parachute Extraction - An a/c would fly 5 or so feet off the ground and a large drogue chute would be released, pulling the cargo out (which was mounted on a pallet). They killed a couple of crews doing this, one was in front of a crowd IIRC during a demonstration, and they've pretty much abandoned the whole thing.

Yep, It was Sicily Drop Zone during a public demo. The pilot came in too steep and too fast, Sheridan's drogue chutes were already out, back end went up, the A/C bounced, nose went forward and down and ...well, you know the rest.

Yep, It was Sicily Drop Zone during a public demo. The pilot came in too steep and too fast, Sheridan's drogue chutes were already out, back end went up, the A/C bounced, nose went forward and down and ...well, you know the rest.

IIRC the Wing King told the crew to steepen the approach so it would look "cooler". The practiced it (empty) and then flew it with the Sheriden on board, extra weight didn't allow as quick a pullout as they had done in practice. illed most of the crew and two soldiers at the end of the AZ IIRC.

If you want to be a Ranger. A true Ranger that is, you should go infantry. Airborne School is pretty gay if you ask me, but once you go to RIP (or RASP) as they call it now, dont quit. If you lack the intestinal fortitude, they'll weed you out. If you make it, then you still have to prove yourself in Regiment, or Regiment will weed you out. If you think that its easier once your in Btn, your sadly mistaken. Just follow orders, be respectful, and be a hard charger. Make sure that you show lots of aggression because they like that. If you go to another unit and manage to get your Ranger tab, you'll probably spend most of your career explaining to people that your not a true Ranger. Ranger school is just a leadership school..Hope this advise helps a little bit and just remember...The Tab doesnt make the man, the man makes the Tab, and its the Scroll that makes it a way of life. Good Luck

Back