Multiple shootings + explosions in Paris

...I think Vietnam changed society in a number of ways, but one is that we can't stomach a long fight. We want wars measured in days if not hours and I'd bet if WWII happened today AND we made it to 1944, we'd negotiate away portions of China, the whole of Korea, Taiwan, and a number of Pacific islands minus the Philippines. We would not have the stomach to use nukes OR invade. We'd give the Japanese (and Germans) territorial concessions to end the war...

Yes, we've lost our tolerance for high casualties. 5000 Marines died in the course of 29 days on Iwo Jima. Imagine if we'd lost that many in that span of time in Iraq or Afghanistan. During my war, 200 Americans, on average, were dying every week. Even those "moderate" losses (compared to WW2) would be considered horrific now.

I agree with most that the general population doesn't have the stomach for war (a real war) but having it or not, when people start dying at their Starbucks while drinking their eggnog, the attitude and direction can be changed. I'm hoping some sound minded individuals step out and use their leadership to push that direction on eradicating these Islamic extremists assholes. World would be a much better place without them.

On the Topic of ISIS, I came across this article that many of you may find interesting. It is worth a read and focuses on their propaganda machine known as Dabiq magazine. Some may not care for the source, but the article was well written. Enjoy.

7 Things I Learned Reading Every Issue Of ISIS's Magazine

A lot of it's what you'd expect, like scripture-dense articles quoting the angriest verses of various holy books to make an insane point....

But it also features fawning People Magazine-like spreads of "celebrities," a word which, for the Islamic State, means dead suicide bombers and insurgents.

Fully agree with you until the religious part. When we OPENLY back a Shia-Iraq government and support Iran and Azerbaijan, we're siding with Shia. Add that we OPENLY support Sunni governments that are anti-IS, we get lumped into the heretics and apostates that the IS wants to overthrow/destroy.

What is not understood in Western press is that we can dodge the religious overtones of this war but THAT plays directly into the hands of leaders and financial backers of IS. To our enemy, is absolutely is 100% a Sunni vs the kufar and munafiqun. It is no wonder that right after IS volunteers finish with the admin crap that every country's inductees/volunteers go through, they go right to sharia training.

The only thing that will stop this is overextending supply lines, attrition of fighters, and Muslim civil war...basically a rehash of the 750AD expansion. Unfortunately air travel has negated the natural barrier of the Atlantic Ocean.
No, we get lumped into heretics and apostate status because we don't follow the religion. No matter who we backed, we would still be viewed as heretics and apostates. We could put al Baghdadi out there and back him- wouldn't matter to the rank and file. Do you see this differently?

As for the rest of your comment, I am not following. I have said it 4 times or so now- I don't want to dodge the religious overtones of this conflict, because that's what it is, at least as ISIS views it. I want that directly addressed and then dismissed in order to gain public favor and hurt their recruiting and ability to use rhetoric to gain support, both financially and with personnel.

How would the coalition "play directly into the hands of the leaders and financial backers of IS" if our posture was, "Yes, they are religiously motivated. We aren't. This is not a case of East vs West, Islam vs the World. We understand their tactics and ideology, and how they use those things in concert to carry out their operations, but we don't act that way. We are here to stop their spread."

As for the bolded- while it may be true- I don't see how that matters at all. They're indoctrinated after they inprocess... ok? I tend to do the same thing with my new guys. I think we all do.

No, we get lumped into heretics and apostate status because we don't follow the religion. No matter who we backed, we would still be viewed as heretics and apostates. We could put al Baghdadi out there and back him- wouldn't matter to the rank and file. Do you see this differently?

As for the rest of your comment, I am not following. I have said it 4 times or so now- I don't want to dodge the religious overtones of this conflict, because that's what it is, at least as ISIS views it. I want that directly addressed and then dismissed in order to gain public favor and hurt their recruiting and ability to use rhetoric to gain support, both financially and with personnel.

How would the coalition "play directly into the hands of the leaders and financial backers of IS" if our posture was, "Yes, they are religiously motivated. We aren't. This is not a case of East vs West, Islam vs the World. We understand their tactics and ideology, and how they use those things in concert to carry out their operations, but we don't act that way. We are here to stop their spread."

As for the bolded- while it may be true- I don't see how that matters at all. They're indoctrinated after they inprocess... ok? I tend to do the same thing with my new guys. I think we all do.

I might have misunderstood your previous post, and do agree with what you said here.

Once again it would seem IS's best ally is not Boko Haram, AQIM, Hezbollah, Hamas, or any other Jihadi terror group. It is our own politicians. http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/troops-clearing-space-at-cfb-kingston-for-syrian-refugees-1.2670111 They are putting these people on military bases knowing full well there are terrorists in with the refugees. Great plan Mr.Trudeau do you plan on giving them the keys to the parliment buildings as well? Perhaps we could put up some tents for them in the CSIS HQ. Fuck it might as well hand the whole country over to ISIS since we are allowing them to live on military bases.

If it's not discussed here in this thread, it would be great in its own thread.

I've wondered the same thing eve as I helped with the "takeover." As soon as I can figure out what to move I'll do just that.

Bataclan: un commissaire et son chauffeur, premiers sur les lieux, ont abattu un jihadiste

Quick translation:

"A police commissioner of the anti-crime brigade (BAC 75) and his driver were the first to enter the Bataclan during the hostage crisis. The commissioner managed to shoot and kill one of the jihadists, stopping him from firing on more civilians. Unfortunately, they arrived armed only with their standard handguns and standard body armor. After the initial exchange, they had to pull back in the face of multiple AK-wielding jihadists."

Attentat à Paris: Comment les policiers de la BRI ont sauvé des otages au Bataclan.

Update on this. Interview with the officer in question.

Paris attacks: First policeman into Bataclan speaks of horror - BBC News

The first police officer to arrive at the Bataclan has described the "indescribable moment of fear" he felt on entering the scene of the massacre. The policeman, a department head at the Paris anti-crime brigade (BAC), told FranceInfo radio (in French) that he and his colleague had been responding to reports of an explosion at the Stade de France when they were redirected. They were ordered to go to the 10th and 11th arrondissements of Paris following news of shootings. On the way, they found panicked concert-goers fleeing the Bataclan and quickly decided to go inside.

"What surprised us immediately was the extremely bright light that blinded us," said the officer, whose identity has been protected for security reasons.

"The bewildering silence... and then hundreds of bodies one on top of the other."

Soon after entering the music venue, the police duo saw a gunmen walk on stage and point a Kalashnikov at an audience member.

"He was very calm," the officer said.

"Given the carnage, there was no doubt about what we had to do. We opened fire straight away. We kept shooting until he fell to the floor."

The gunman was later identified as Foued Mohamed-Aggad, a 23-year-old French national from Strasbourg.

'I phoned my girlfriend'

The two officers, who reportedly only had service weapons and light bulletproof vests, then heard an explosion from elsewhere in the building and realised there were likely to be more attackers. Faced with extreme danger, the men phoned their loved-ones.

"We decided we could not leave the scene - we could not leave these people," the officer said.

"I was ready to die with my team that night. I phoned my girlfriend to say goodbye."

Elite police units soon arrived at the scene. Two other attackers who took people hostage in the concert hall eventually died in a final police assault hours later.

They were later identified as Frenchmen Omar Ismail Mostefai, 29, and Samy Amimour, 28

Back