National Protest and 'disband the cops' discussion (please review page 1)

I think we're overlooking something: did the officer act within the constraints of his department's policies? The guy who kneeled on George Foreman or whoever's neck in MN was following dept. procedure.

I was kind of incensed at the shooting, but would like to know if the officer was within the law. Not common sense, not our bias, not some Twitter videos, not our own LEO/ Mil background...but the law as it applies to this case.

From looking at the video....I can't see where using deadly force would be warranted. Physical force, or less lethal, yep.

Unless there was a pistol/knife/club in her hand that we didn't see and "disappeared" after she fell. I have only seen that one vid and can't tell.

EDIT: I would be curious what ROE's USCP might have.

Last edited:
Here's an interesting article that examines riots as a group coordination problem.

It would be pretty nice if we could generally strip away the 'moral' (tribal) valence from our discussions of these kinds of things so that we can actually examine the underlying processes, then improve our systems (now I'm sounding naive!).
What a nice read. I love how s/he described to a tee the rioting patterns that I have personnally witnessed occurring between individual people (testing with minor acts of carnage) and other onlookers (following suit after seeing at least one other person do it first) during demonstrations.

This line summed up the article for me: "No civic order can be breached until the ambitious few have broken a few windows."

My favorite bit/definition:

Entrepreneurial rioting:

Haddock and Poisby describe the individuals who go about testing the desire of the crowds riot entrepreneurs:
Even in an unstable gathering, the first perpetrator of a misdemeanor is at risk if the police are willing and able to zero in on him. Thus, someone has to serve as a catalyst—a sort of entrepreneur to get things going—in Buford’s account usually by breaking a window (a signal that can be heard by many who do not see it). In civil rights, anti-war or anti-abortion marches, it is probably pretty common to find participants eager to expose themselves to arrest in exchange for the chance to optimize the desired impact of their protest. This sort of self-sacrifice is certainly rare in ordinary riots, where potential rioters’ behavior is consistent, we suppose, with something like the following calculation: “If somebody else gets the riot started, I can participate without much risk. But if I stick my neck out and nobody follows, I’ll be the only one arrested. So I’ll wait for somebody else to go first.” If every would-be rioter reasoned thus, nobody would cast the first stone, and the riot would not ignite. This is a typical free-rider problem, as economists have called it. It is usually sufficient to prevent riots from occurring, even where there is a plentiful supply of disposed participants. Riots await events that surmount the free rider problem. The entrepreneur will throw the first stone when he calculates that the risk that he will be apprehended for doing so has diminished to an acceptable level.

Here's an interesting article that examines riots as a group coordination problem.

It would be pretty nice if we could generally strip away the 'moral' (tribal) valence from our discussions of these kinds of things so that we can actually examine the underlying processes, then improve our systems (now I'm sounding naive!).
Interesting article & the rebellious few who lead the way is food for thought with the idea of the few who urge the disorganised rabble. This ignores Antifa & how well organised they were in 2019 recently. The Hong Kong protesters were similarly well organised, though their aim was different.

I have to say that the BLM/Antifa riots are really impressive with they are able to mass on "targets" in multiple locations across the country. Something conservative groups can barely do on one "target".

Remember the lone baton-wielding officer backing away up the stairs from an approaching mob that vastly outnumbered him?

1610429549336.png

In the original video, he appeared exactly as an officer getting overwhelmed by a mob that kept pushing, until this article indicated that he had deliberately incited the mob to pursue him by pushing the guy in front, repeatedly, to get him and the rest of the mob to follow him away from the Senate chambers leading the other direction.

A very ballsy and well-executed spur-of-the-moment crowd manipulation.

Capitol Police officer being hailed as a hero for drawing angry mob away from Senate floor

Back