National Protest and 'disband the cops' discussion (please review page 1)

All five cops are charged, I hope they all get convicted.

The question remains- if we see what happened and the system has already started the process to punish the criminal actors, what are we protesting? What is the goal of the protest- to get more charges? Or a harsher penalty? Or stop future behavior?

I would assume, to stop future behavior, but I don’t actually know. Personally I don’t get protesting for instance in Durham, who has one of the most progressive police forces in the state. But what do I know?

Last edited:
I would assume, to stop future behavior, but I don’t actually know. Personally I don’t get protesting for I stance in Durham, who has one of the most progressive police forces in the state. But what do I know.
Yeah this is what I mean. I’m 110% for protest and civil disobedience- but not just for the sake of protesting.

Yeah this is what I mean. I’m 110% for protest and civil disobedience- but not just for the sake of protesting.

I understand everyone’s frustrations. Really on both sides. I think people are sick of watching people get killed by police. I also think people are sick of protestors causing violence. I am both.

This is one of, if not the worst instance I have seen of police brutality.

Well this thread certainly makes for an interesting read...

I have a friend, former Memphis PD, they have been lowering standards for more then 10 years to achieve the racial profile they want. Per him, lowering standards to allow people convicted of crimes to become cops.
IMO, Citizens of Memphis got what exactly they voted for.

Has the FBI/DoJ Civil Rights Division showed up yet?

Stu
I have two words regarding the Memphis incident. Leadership failure.
Stuff is starting to percolate out about hiring practices, and how these cops were hired. Memphis PD Chief came from Atlanta, IIRC, and had personal/personnel issues there.

I think a big part of the problem is Chiefs who are too political, and not leader enough. San Antonio has one.

At this point, anyone on scene who jaywalked is getting fired. Right, wrong, or other that's how this will play out. How bad did those three screw up? Would doing their jobs have changed the outcome? Dunno.

When the family is done with inevitable lawsuit they will be part owners of Memphis. I really doubt we've seen the last of the firings and charges being brought.

The "initiate patient care" line is what stands out to me.

Sweat added when the ambulance arrived, nearly 15 minutes after the fire truck arrived, the emergency personnel initiated patient care and transported Nichols to St. Francis Hospital.

That sounds like the Fire EMTs saw Nichols was beat to shit and called for transport, but didn't do attempt to provide care or stabilization on scene.

If that's how the situation played out, then they absolutely got fired for a legit reason.
Need more details, but it sure reads like they just disregarded the patient.

Back