National Protest and 'disband the cops' discussion (please review page 1)

Found a better story of the EMTs failure to assist.
Seems they were just standing around until the ambulance showed up.

Opinion | The Medics Are Also to Blame for Tyre Nichols’ Death

The video also shows EMS workers failing to render what we call the “standard of care” for trauma patients. Based on national standards and Tennessee state EMS protocols, this consists of, at minimum, assessing the victim’s airway, breathing and vital signs, and in the setting of head trauma, immobilizing the victim’s spine and neck and applying oxygen to prevent brain damage. In recent days, two Memphis Fire Department EMTs on the scene were released of their duty pending an agency investigation. It has not been confirmed if these were the two medics seen in the video

(There are two sections here talking about providing oxygen and the necessity of speedy transport)

Based on the released footage, the medics on the scene of Tyre Nichols’ assault appeared to squander what could have amounted to precious time for the victim to receive care at a trauma center. While the definitive cause of death is pending the final forensic examination (autopsy) and toxicology reports, the combination of delay in delivering care, specifically oxygen, and the delay in transport may have contributed significantly to the death of this young man.

As stated, if the engine EMTs did not perform pt care for whatever reason, they will get fried. As as stated, anyone on the scene will be part of this shitshow.

The medics that responded must have done their jobs properly or they would have been named.

This reminds me of a job I had a month or so back, similar to this, though, our cops did not murder the dude, he did fight the cops and got planted, review shows cops acted with restraint, we were called for pepper spray, ended up calling a level 2 trauma since the dude reportedly "passed out" after a head strike.

Dude was awake, calling police brutality but was cool with us, though, he refused things we needed to do, was refusing at ER/trauma too.

This event (Memphis) and similar are reasons why as a medic/EMT, you better fucking be Johnny on the spot with treatments/assessments.

Found a better story of the EMTs failure to assist.
Seems they were just standing around until the ambulance showed up.

Opinion | The Medics Are Also to Blame for Tyre Nichols’ Death

(There are two sections here talking about providing oxygen and the necessity of speedy transport)

Yeah, the dude is jacked up with obvious head injuries, airway and breathing is necessary. EMTs are stuck waiting for medic transport because, like Philly and every urban area, medics are busy, across the city with cunts having sore throats and belly pain while trauma, strokes and heart attacks wait

Yeah, the dude is jacked up with obvious head injuries, airway and breathing is necessary. EMTs are stuck waiting for medic transport because, like Philly and every urban area, medics are busy, across the city with cunts having sore throats and belly pain while trauma, strokes and heart attacks wait
Yea, same thing out here in my neck of the woods. Fire would always get there first and then wait for AMR to transport.

Not doing the basic ABCs and giving him O2 is crazy to me. I know fire sometimes is short on supplies on the truck, but it'd have been too easy to do the bare minimum in this situation.

IDK if it would have changed Nichols outcome, but those dudes would still have their jobs.

Here's the thing with fire-based EMS, and particularly first-responder engine companies--they want nothing to do with EMS. While some FDs put firefighter/paramedics on fire engines, and others put firefighter/EMTs, the operative word is firefighter. Speaking broadly, no EMS provider wants to work an engine and no firefighter (really) wants to do EMS. They earn the credentials only so they can ride the big red truck and put the wet stuff on the hot stuff. It's not because they have any interest in medicine.

So, why do FDs use first-responder engines? The answer is to justify their existence in a world where fire calls are going down and EMS runs are going up. If they didn't respond to EMS calls, some engine companies wouldn't turn a wheel. In fact, one could argue that most fire departments should be renamed as EMS departments (who occasionally respond to working fires).

The result is what you saw. FF/EMTs (most likely not paramedics) standing around and saying, "The squad is on its way." I see this quite often.

So the guy allegedly just stabbed someone. He was clearly mobile. Motioned to throw the knife. And family said he “recently lost his legs in a prior altercation with police”.

Sucks that someone lost their life, but if he hadn’t stabbed someone, had a knife, ran from the police, followed orders, he wouldn’t be in this situation.

So the guy allegedly just stabbed someone. He was clearly mobile. Motioned to throw the knife. And family said he “recently lost his legs in a prior altercation with police”.

Sucks that someone lost their life, but if he hadn’t stabbed someone, had a knife, ran from the police, followed orders, he wouldn’t be in this situation.
Have to agree on this one.
Sometimes folks bring it on themselves.

My apologies, I should have put some context to my post. I agree that it is very likely a good shoot based on the description in the article. It's the optics and how it affects the narrative that I was sighing about. The people screaming about defunding the police don't care whether it was a good shoot or not, all they care about is 2 cops shot and killed a dude with "no legs" and the race of the dead guy. Watch and wait, this one will blow up as soon as the last one starts to slow down and gets into the media cycle.

In our city, all firefighters are also paramedics. Every station has Ambulances and trucks staffed. That's pretty normal in north Texas.....except for Fort Worth...they have always had a separate medical organization...Medstar.

Some places make it work better than others, but it’s always a bad idea to use the FF/paramedic model.

In your city’s case, it forces people who want to fight fire to become paramedics, and people who want to be paramedics to learn to be firefighters. Neither group is going to do the job they don’t like well. There is a small subgroup that likes both jobs, but those guys are rare.

Even assuming everyone likes being dual role, skill degradation becomes a problem. The larger the number of paramedics, the fewer procedures each will perform. Clinical abilities become diluted rapidly.

I always say it’s the equivalent of requiring someone to be an accountant before they can get hired as a baker.

I’m not (totally) opposed to fire-based EMS but I do think paramedics should be paramedics and firefighters should fight fire.

The guy’s on stumps. He’s not going to the next county. He’s not attacking the cops, he’s retreating. On stumps. I’m sorry, but knife or not, if I was a cop I’d either bop him on the head or tase him.

Uvalde made me sour on hyper-risk averse cops. Have some fucking balls. When somebody’s shooting kids, get the fuck in there and kill the fucker. When a guy on stumps is “running” away from you—even if he has a knife—try non lethal a few times before you pump 8 rounds into him.

Last edited:
Lemonade out of lemons, guys.

Ren and Stumpy

What falls from chairs,
and can't use the stairs,
or even clear a speedbump?
Uses a knife to attack,
gets shot in the back,
It's stump, stump, stump!

(I'll just take your low opinion of me and mosey to another thread...)

Back