National Protest and 'disband the cops' discussion (please review page 1)

@Muppet this article made me think of you and what you do…

Killing of Burnsville first responder an extreme example of growing dangers for Minnesota’s paramedics

The fatal shooting of a Burnsville firefighter while he was tending to a fallen police officer is an extreme example of what Minnesota first-responders describe as an increasingly dangerous profession.

Deaths in the line of duty remain rare, and occur mostly when ambulances crash or medics are hit on roadsides by cars. But state and federal data both point to more injuries as emergency medical technicians and paramedics encounter violence. Forty Minnesota medics suffered violence-related injuries in 2021 and 2022 that were so severe that they missed work or were transferred or had their duties restricted, according to the most recent federal data.

Medics are trained to wait until police officers secure crime scenes and then move in to treat injuries, but seemingly stable scenes can turn dangerous quickly, said Sen. Judy Seeberger, DFL-Afton, a volunteer first-responder for the Lower St. Croix Valley Fire Department. "Sometimes I am on a scene and I can feel things shift, I can feel things change. Maybe something that was safe before becomes unsafe. It's hard when it happens."

A 2022 survey of medics represented by the Hennepin County Association of Paramedics and EMTs in Minneapolis found that 87% reported being affected by violence at work and 78% were assaulted by patients or bystanders on the job. Leaders of the union declined further comment while "full details are unknown and it is important to allow Burnsville and the families involved time to process the situation."

Medics across the world are heartbroken by the shooting, said Dylan Ferguson, director of Minnesota's Medical Services Regulatory Board, which oversees licensing of the state's first responders. "Today and in the days to come, the entire Minnesota EMS community stands shoulder to shoulder with the City of Burnsville during this difficult time as we honor the bravery and selflessness of these fallen heroes."

Veteran firefighter Adam Finseth was killed after a standoff in Burnsville early Sunday morning between police and a man who had barricaded himself in the house with a woman and several children. Finseth was caring for a wounded officer when he came under fire himself. In addition to Finseth, two police officers died and a third was wounded by gunfire.

Finseth was trained as a tactical paramedic, allowing him to embed with SWAT teams and go with them to higher-risk crime scenes so he could respond immediately if injuries occurred. His death might be the nation's first in the 52 years in which these specially trained medics have existed, said Jim Etzin, a Michigan-based consultant who ran a professional tactical EMS association.

"I cannot recall someone whose primary duty or responsibility was to be a medic or a physician on a SWAT team to be killed in the performance of their duties," he said.
Whether such a tragedy will drive more people away from Minnesota's EMS systems is unclear, but the state is already running short of medics — especially in rural parts of the state that are seeing longer wait times in response to their 911 calls for help.
Seeberger co-led a legislative task force that recently toured Minnesota to learn about the EMS shortage and why it is happening. She said most medics are aware from the start that they will be working in stressful and potentially violent situations, and that this risk wasn't cited much as a reason for the growing shortage. Medics routinely receive updated training on assessing "scene safety" in order to maintain their licensure.
However, Seeberger said she suspects violent incidents are contributing to the stress and burnout that many medics did cite in their decisions to give up working or volunteering in their local fire departments.
Rest in God’s peace, gentlemen.

Final call…

Yesterday morning my wife's at work and two cops show up and asked her if she saw an alleged fight/ DV incident in their parking lot 20-25 minutes ago.

"I'm gonna' take a few steps back in case an acorn falls on one of your cars."

The male cop started laughing while the female cop just stared, red faced, at my wife and never said a word. She just stood there and mean mugged my wife for a few minutes until some other managers joined the conversation.

Yesterday morning my wife's at work and two cops show up and asked her if she saw an alleged fight/ DV incident in their parking lot 20-25 minutes ago.

"I'm gonna' take a few steps back in case an acorn falls on one of your cars."

The male cop started laughing while the female cop just stared, red faced, at my wife and never said a word. She just stood there and mean mugged my wife for a few minutes until some other managers joined the conversation.

Fucking gold. Let me guess, the female cop was a fucking rookie with no sense of humor and male cop was an FTO with one?

Fucking gold. Let me guess, the female cop was a fucking rookie with no sense of humor and male cop was an FTO with one?

Brother, I have no clue. We live in a very middle-class, low crime city/ town outside of Orlando. We have...50-ish officers (maybe less). One or two detectives and they are part of a country-wide task force or something. This is one of those quiet departments where you go if you don't want any major drama and major crimes are handled by the county SO. I can't imagine there's much turnover.

I hope both of them from those videos get charged. No PAB needed. It's on video, they have a COC, and they have courts. Get rid of them ASAP.

I'm in the PD hiring process for the right now. Did not get picked up this next academy though.

This clown needs to fry. Good news, there was an arrest warrant. Have fun in county.

Off-duty Connecticut cop punches driver in traffic for honking at him at red light: ‘What are you doing?’

In no way do I condone that behavior, but I get it. I was offered a position here on a local force after I retired. I didn't take it because I would've snapped. My brother was a cop for 28 years. He's retired now, but you can't believe some of the shit cops deal with. I didn't believe it until I witnessed it myself. People calling officers shit names and starting shit for no other reason than they are wearing a cop uniform. Some people suck. He always says "people hate cops until they need one"

Of course there are those of us who get it and appreciate the good police officers.

That police officer was completely in the wrong. This reminds me of the videos they'd show us in the police academy of what NOT to do.

--There was no need to leave his vehicle or to take any other action. Period. Get on with your day.

--Flashing your badge because the driver honked his horn at you? GTFO.

--Punching a dude in the face after he points out--correctly--that you're in the wrong? Thank you for your service, time for you to find another line of work.

This was basically a road rage incident, and the corporal used cover of authority to intimidate, harass, and ultimately physically assault a civilian. I wonder how much he did over his time in uniform, that wasn't captured on video for the world to see.

This officer demonstrated his character, which is deeply flawed. Tactical mistakes we can mitigate. Character flaws, especially after such a long time on the force, well...

This clown needs to fry. Good news, there was an arrest warrant. Have fun in county.

Off-duty Connecticut cop punches driver in traffic for honking at him at red light: ‘What are you doing?’
School Resource Officer, 5 day suspension.
Pleads guilty to a misdemeanor and gets probation.
No lawsuit as he was not acting in an official capacity.

Defense attorneys are salivating, any arrest he makes will generate an excessive force claim.
This incident will be brought up at any trial during his testimony.

Story didn't say how many years he has as a cop.

Defense attorneys are salivating, any arrest he makes will generate an excessive force claim.
This incident will be brought up at any trial during his testimony.

Story didn't say how many years he has as a cop.

If I was the dude, I would hammer the PD and press hard about assault charges.

Again, the cop was wrong and should pay for it. He's an asshole who shouldn't be a cop.

This incident aside, I couldn't be a cop because I also hate assholes who honk their horn, yell, and throw tantrums from the safety of their car...acting like they've never made a mistake in their life. I'd honestly like to punch them too. I've sat patiently and waited at many green lights without honking my horn, realizing people are not perfect. If you want to honk your horn and yell at people, flip people off....whatever...well play stupid games and all that.

Last edited:
Interesting. At my shop, once the word police passes your lips or you flash the badge, you’re on-duty (and paid) and acting in an official capacity.

Back