National Protest and 'disband the cops' discussion (please review page 1)

Almost as if video of events is what usually fully highlights the issue and gets people riled up.

They did, you just likely didn't see or hear about it if you aren't in that circle.

Those are just the two I remember off the top of my head.

Are you forgetting that Congresswoman Michelle Bachmann called him an affirmative action hire days after the shooting, and tried to imply he shot Damond because he "came from a culture in which women should always be covered?". People were calling out the hypocrisy of the "Blue Lives Matter" crowd who immediately started calling for his death.

The only parallel is both are cops who had multiple issues with abusing their power and should have been fired long ago.

The only double standard is Chauvin managed to be involved with more killings than Noor.
That's just not right, although I agree the issue here is one of poor training and misuse of authority. In Minneapolis PD, specifically, that appears to be an issue.

In re: Damond, I can tell you, there were a few candlelight vigils and one march with a few hundred people after Damond's killing. I can also tell you 100% there were absolutely zero widespread protests or outrage that even remotely approaches what we're seeing now, although the Chief of Minneapolis PD did step down as a result. This took place only a few miles from where I live and spend a.lot of time in the area, so I'm very familiar with it.

@Blizzard

As I said, you likely don't see large protests because we don't have video.

Even in instances like Drummond's in which there's no good way to defend the cops, protests don't really happen with video. Breonna Taylor is the most recent one, and about the only reasons protests started happening was after the Arbery video came out.

We have to take into account two the events around these cases.

People being unemployed, out of school, and the Floyd video being so graphic all helped to push this into a larger thing

So I've been told being in streets (when they have a permit and police close it off for them) is violating orders, we've discussed how some people think standing on your porch (which was allowed btw) but not going inside was violating orders, and numerous other instances where "you lose first ammendment rights for XYZ"

Well how about someone explain this one to me? (1:45ish if you wanna skip the speech)

So I've been told being in streets (when they have a permit and police close it off for them) is violating orders, we've discussed how some people think standing on your porch (which was allowed btw) but not going inside was violating orders, and numerous other instances where "you lose first ammendment rights for XYZ"

Well how about someone explain this one to me? (1:45ish if you wanna skip the speech)

Am I correct to assume you have zero experience in peacekeeping operations during rioting?

What the hell thats terrible

@Blizzard

As I said, you likely don't see large protests because we don't have video.

Even in instances like Drummond's in which there's no good way to defend the cops, protests don't really happen with video. Breonna Taylor is the most recent one, and about the only reasons protests started happening was after the Arbery video came out.

We have to take into account two the events around these cases.

People being unemployed, out of school, and the Floyd video being so graphic all helped to push this into a larger thing
I get video is a powerful tool. However, it's absence doesn't explain the difference in response. Could it more likely be that Damond's death didn't fit the BLM narrative? In addition, many people were calling for the immediate arrest and charging of all 4 officers with first degree murder, which I hope everyone here understands is a ridiculous demand. A key problem I have is with many making this about race or a certain community when there truly is no objective evidence to support such an assertion.

Am I correct to assume you have zero experience in peacekeeping operations during rioting?

Ah yes, how could I forget that I must have extensive background in peacekeeping operations and riots in order to engage on a topic.

We may as well delete the political thread(since non of us are politicians), limit the coronavirus thread to only those with medical backgrounds, and any thread in which laws are brought up should only be discussed by the lawyers on the board.

Ah yes, how could I forget that I must have extensive background in peacekeeping operations and riots in order to engage on a topic.

We may as well delete the political thread(since non of us are politicians), limit the coronavirus thread to only those with medical backgrounds, and any thread in which laws are brought up should only be discussed by the lawyers on the board.

So I will take all of that as a simple no, and move on with the point and conversation.

In my experience dealing with rioters, it is often times easy to identify a possible agitator that could potentially and intentionally escalate the situation. It looks exactly like every time we had executed a snatch. Officers designated to do the pull go up behind the wall, wall is opened, and team goes in and extracts. It's textbook

I'm not suggesting that this was the right thing to do and have zero context out of this one clip. But a decision was made that he was to be removed from the situation and we are not privy to that reasoning.

As shown in the Damond killing, it's not true. No one rises up every time a white person is murdered by a cop. No one rises up everytime a Mexican gets killed by a cop.
Except you are wrong. “White Privilege” does exist. We could debate until eternity at what level, but it does.

I watched multiple examples of it this weekend when police were approaching groups of black protesters. Young happy whites would circle the groups of blacks and “immediately” the tone of the officers changed that of cooperation and a peaceful resolution. It was almost ... almost comical.

I don’t expect you to agree with me. Hell, I refused to even acknowledge it until a few years ago, but it’s true.

Except you are wrong. “White Privilege” does exist. We could debate until eternity at what level, but it does.

I watched multiple examples of it this weekend when police were approaching groups of black protesters. Young happy whites would circle the groups of blacks and “immediately” the tone of the officers changed that of cooperation and a peaceful resolution. It was almost ... almost comical.

I don’t expect you to agree with me. Hell, I refused to even acknowledge it until a few years ago, but it’s true.

I don't disagree with that at all. It also got me thinking, if white privilege exists, does black privilege? Brown Privilege?

As shown in the Damond killing, it's not true. No one rises up every time a white person is murdered by a cop. No one rises up everytime a Mexican gets killed by a cop.

As an aside, I posted in the Open Mic thread a TL,DR about what I've been feeling over the past several weeks.

I hate to say this, but it is by and large media coverage. We have protests in Omaha for floyd, but we also had mass protests for the pregnant white officer that was killed off duty who was assisting.

The only parallel is both are cops who had multiple issues with abusing their power and should have been fired long ago.
Hard, fast, emphatic, passionate, shout-it-from-the-rooftops, 24pt font "FUCK NO!!!!!" for the above. That’s a fucking crock of bullshit, and I’m calling you on it. That part of @Blizzard ‘s reply that this was directed to is spot the fuck on. In fact, dare I say that the institutional rot present in the failed leadership of this department goes past training, and sits firmly entrenched in the day-to-day function of same.

The chief of police is appointed by those elected officials that the general public hold in good faith (🤣) to keep the safety and best interests of the citizens in mind. These same elected officials aren’t going to appoint a leader who is diametrically opposed to their vision. They are going to hire someone who has similar ideals. Someone from outside a given metropolitan area may not have the same specific plan for moving a particular department and municipality forward walking into that interview. However, they aren't going to get hired if they aren't generally agreeable to what the mayor/council/commission have in mind overall for that central plan. That means any subconscious disdain that the elected leadership may harbor for the local electorate can be reflected in the leadership of the enforcement arm of that local government.

Now, when you hire in someone that genuinely gives a damn about the community they're policing, they're going to make damn sure that the officers are on the same page. It's a painfully slow process at times, depending on what the prevailing culture is at the department at date of hire. Sometimes the negative influences openly push back on the new leadership; sinecures need to be protected, after all. The chief makes sure his or her standards for hiring are met, and the changes at the bottom eventually rise to meet the change at the top. This is how you get cops on departments that aren't afraid to stand out in the age of Twitter and protest against police brutality.

When you're in an area that the elected officials don't give two shits about their local electorate beyond their tax bracket and vote counts, they're going to hire in a chief that gives less of a tinker's damn than they do, because guess who's never going to run for office. That subtle outlook on the "unwashed masses and rabble rousing proletariat that votes every couple of years" transfers through the chief and to the boots on the ground. That exacerbates the "us vs. them" mentality that already exists simply as a function of what they do. The subordinates become convinced of their own authority as conferred by that piece of tin and a sidearm, and they eventually believe themselves to be nigh on untouchable. The local police union doesn't help to disavow them of that misconception. This is how you get trigger happy policemen with zero compunction regarding how they treat the citizens they are sworn to "protect." Anyone that speaks out against the negative environment gets hammered out of the department, and most likely leaves law enforcement altogether. One-man-armies never win wars.

A Hispanic shot Philando Castile. A Somali shot Justine Damond. A Caucasian killed George Floyd. This isn't racism; this is indicative of a pervasive rot in the leadership of the Minneapolis metro area (I insert that caveat because the PC shooting happened in a suburb of Minneapolis). Power tripping is allowed and supported; prove me wrong.

They did, you just likely didn't see or hear about it if you aren't in that circle.

First of all, I wouldn't trust Shaun King to tell me the sky was blue. His debacle with resurrecting the North Star publication is but the latest incident that serves as a solid indictment of his character.

Secondly, I guess Tariq Nasheed isn't in that circle, either. Then again, Twitter is an eternal flame style dumpster fire that serves as a portal straight to Dante's fifth circle of Hell. Many of the replies to his tweet were far less supportive of "justice for Justine" than the OP. "Folks only care because the deceased was white," was the overall theme I detected.

So I will take all of that as a simple no, and move on with the point and conversation.

In my experience dealing with rioters, it is often times easy to identify a possible agitator that could potentially and intentionally escalate the situation. It looks exactly like every time we had executed a snatch. Officers designated to do the pull go up behind the wall, wall is opened, and team goes in and extracts. It's textbook

I'm not suggesting that this was the right thing to do and have zero context out of this one clip. But a decision was made that he was to be removed from the situation and we are not privy to that reasoning.

Cool, thanks for the context. Follow-up; what does a "possible agitator" look like?

Figure it's obviously pretty easy if dude's walking around with rocks and bottles, but gets harder like situations in that video

Floyd's family just released the results of their "independent" autopsy which found that, shock, Floyd died from asphyxia due to sustained forceful pressure on his neck.

The final autopsy result Hennepin County Coroners Office are still pending but the preliminary results, while not completely inconsistent, differed in conclusion from the family's results.

Still waiting to hear how the Hennepin County Coroners Office is part of the problem...

I'm sure it doesn't need to be said to anyone here but keep your head on a swivel.

Warning: Groups "canvassing" rural neighborhoods, taking photos of homes with police cars in driveways
Just like any terrorist organization they're gathering intel to stage hits. Terrorists and collaborators are being shown an incredible amount of mercy.

My apartment building got hit last night. Nothing broken, but I've been helping clean paint off it all day. I'm thankfully on the third floor.

The rioters are making demands for the release of all black inmates, expungement of criminal records, etc or they will continue for another week.

I just want to go have a scotch at a bar...is that to much to ask?

Back