National Protest and 'disband the cops' discussion (please review page 1)

There’s enough evidence for a conviction, enough raw footage to charge individuals with looting/disorder, but what will all this look like in six months? As I’m led to believe there are more people legitimately protesting on issues; poverty, housing etc. than a small group of rabble rousers, so what will change look like? Will cops get more resources? Will individual states listen & act on what their constituents want?

There’s enough evidence for a conviction, enough raw footage to charge individuals with looting/disorder, but what will all this look like in six months? As I’m led to believe there are more people legitimately protesting on issues; poverty, housing etc. than a small group of rabble rousers, so what will change look like? Will cops get more resources? Will individual states listen & act on what their constituents want?

Legitimacy is getting lost. People are getting sick of their neighborhoods burning.

We're still on lockdown, so I'm not sure what people would be doing otherwise. Seems like everyone is allowed to not socially distance now, but still can't go to church/temple.

Legitimacy is getting lost. People are getting sick of their neighborhoods burning.

We're still on lockdown, so I'm not sure what people would be doing otherwise. Seems like everyone is allowed to not socially distance now, but still can't go to church/temple.

Legitimacy for the protest/riots might be getting lost, but I can't imagine we get through this without some major push for change in law enforcement, whatever that may be.

Remember, for every video of rioters doing shit, there's a video of officers shoving down a man with a cane, macing a woman just walking with her groceries, or other things that (out of context or otherwise) sours the community on police

That’s another question, will this lead to more infections? This is Day 8 (?) & C-19 take 14 days to reveal itself.

Legitimacy for the protest/riots might be getting lost, but I can't imagine we get through this without some major push for change in law enforcement, whatever that may be.

Remember, for every video of rioters doing shit, there's a video of officers shoving down a man with a cane, macing a woman just walking with her groceries, or other things that (out of context or otherwise) sours the community on police

The POTUS has done more to help minorities than any other recent previous president, so I don't know where the federal/global law enforcement change has to occur. It's all predicated on a narrative that lots of people don't care, and even more have zero capacity to change. I mean.. putting up that black box on your social media yesterday is doing wonders I'm sure

There was an NAACP letter put out that had some requests, but I can't seem to find it. Off the top of my head, they asked for;

Ban to using neck restraints and chokeholds

Demilitarization of police departments and equipment

National level guidelines for what police escalation of force should looks like

Make public all officer documentation regarding complaints, retraining, and certifications

The establishment of community review boards

The POTUS has done more to help minorities than any other recent previous president, so I don't know where the federal/global law enforcement change has to occur.

Citation wanted on the POTUS aspect of your comment, but we can discuss that in the politics thread if you'd like.

I think any system can improve, even if your perfectly fine with where it is. We can get into the finer points of the specifics of what some groups (see my NAACP post) are asking for, and see if maybe those are something that might actually help improve policing and community relations.

There was an NAACP letter put out that had some requests, but I can't seem to find it. Off the top of my head, they asked for;

Ban to using neck restraints and chokeholds

Demilitarization of police departments and equipment

National level guidelines for what police escalation of force should looks like

Make public all officer documentation regarding complaints, retraining, and certifications

The establishment of community review boards
Ok, that’s a start, but underlying causes; housing, health, jobs. I’ve heard that there’s real concerns regarding these areas.

As for police resources of any hue, I’ve worked in private security for years & my catch all phrase is ‘security: last thing you think of & the first thing you scream at.’

The POTUS has done more to help minorities than any other recent previous president, so I don't know where the federal/global law enforcement change has to occur. It's all predicated on a narrative that lots of people don't care, and even more have zero capacity to change. I mean.. putting up that black box on your social media yesterday is doing wonders I'm sure
While I agree with the first half regarding POTUS, the second half is inaccurate (law enforcement change). This whole episode (the video that started it) is not an issue with race. People need to stop with the race, there is nothing on that video that shows any form of racism. What it does show is a long time problem with policing and policing administration in general. What I am about to say is probably not going to be popular here. Many will initially scoff, but all I ask is for you to hear me out and let me try to explain.

How many LEOs and former LEOs here have had similar training as seen in the video?

How many have heard in training (and said the same thing) "if you can talk, you can breathe"?

How many times have we heard police administrators make rude and disparaging comments about members of the public? Or given an officer a hard time for trying to go the extra mile with a citizen?

How many have been ordered to do something they weren't sure about but didn't want to lose their jobs? Or forced to re-write a report because the supervisor doesn't support the narrative they want vs the truth?

How many have seen where administrators look the other way (and order subordinates to do so) for citizens that contribute to their campaigns?

How many times have you as an officer, needed some mental health days or a day off and been told to suck it up and move on? Or afraid to make use of any mental health counseling or job assistance for fear of reprisal or negative effect to your career?

How many have been told if you don't publicly or financially support the head cop that you could lose your job? Or if you support the opposition you risk reprisal?

I have seen all of these and more in the short time I was in LE. In a town that was heavily political with a moderate-sized agency (around a 1000 sworn). Law enforcement's problem is that they (meaning administration and thereby the culture that permeates through the ranks...aka old-timers) think they are above the citizenry. For the longest time, it can be argued that on the micro-scale cops are inherently good. On an individual basis, cops try to do right by the community. On the macro-scale cops (their administrators and culture) are inherently power-hungry and abusive.

Now, if you've never been the target of an IA witch hunt (where the administration wants you gone) or false criminal accusation, then it is easy to say "I never saw any of that" or "you're just jaded". I am jaded, but that doesn't mean I am wrong either. If you have been the subject of such actions then you know that a lot of what I have said is true. While much of what I have seen and experienced is anecdotal, I have seen it an heard it from other people within the profession.

Does that mean we abolish the LE profession? Certainly not. However, the profession needs to evolve and change. If you have spent any time in that profession you know this to be true.

Now before any current or former LEs decide to jump on me consider this, YOU may have not seen any of the above, and there are bad apples in society that cause trouble, but with as much as we have seen come to light as a result of incompetent leadership and policing in agencies across the nation. You have to ask yourself. Could I be right? Does law enforcement need to evolve? Could their interactions with the public be improved?

While I agree with the first half regarding POTUS, the second half is inaccurate (law enforcement change). This whole episode (the video that started it) is not an issue with race. People need to stop with the race, there is nothing on that video that shows any form of racism. What it does show is a long time problem with policing and policing administration in general. What I am about to say is probably not going to be popular here. Many will initially scoff, but all I ask is for you to hear me out and let me try to explain.

I'm watching videos of white people apologizing for being white and kissing boots of black people out on the streets. You might not think this is about race, and I can suggest the real problem might not be, but the BLM movement absolutely thinks it's about race.

I can't rebuttal anything from the rest of your post because of I have zero experience. I'll leave it to the current and past LEOs.

Last edited:
I'm watching videos of white people apologizing for being white and kissing boots of black people out on the streets. You might not think this is about race, and I can suggest the real problem might not be, but the BLM movement absolutely thinks it's about race.

I can't rebuttal anything from the rest of your post because of I have zero experience. I'll leave the current and past LEOs.
You're absolutely right. They and everyone else on both sides is making it about race, unfortunately. Thanks for the response.

ETA: also agree on Mattis one. Everything so far response wise has been in accordance with the Constitution.

Does he {Mattis} also take issue with all these State's Governors are currently activating their National Guardsmen to support the defense of their cities burning down?
Governors mobilizing the State National Guard and the President of the United States sending in active-duty troops is not even remotely the same thing. You know it, I know it, and the American People know it.

Governors mobilizing the State National Guard and the President of the United States sending in active-duty troops is not even remotely the same thing. You know it, I know it, and the American People know it.

General question. Minneapolis is your city. I've only seen the BDA on television, twitter, etc. There are several previous precedents for sending troops to restore order. It is not common, but right now many places look like LA 1992. You have police forces with limited ability to contain the violence in addition to having no political back up. (President threatens to use the Insurrection Act, New York Governor Cuomo tells DeBlasio he'll be displaced)

Here in Phoenix we personally don't need active duty troops as backup, comparatively we haven't had major riots. But we do need the elected leadership in Phoenix to grow a spine.

This could end up dying down in most places, but certain places may need to be reinforced whether that is with active duty troops or other guard units that get placed under local command authority.

Historically it hasn't. Most times if there is an event that would bring an active component, an dual-status commander is identified through NORTHCOM for both title 10 and 32 authorities. Happens during natural disasters and happens to the significant events like Super Bowl and DNC/RNC.

Coming from Florida, I've probably been activated more times than most people on here with Guard experience and have done a crazy amount of DSCA training for it. Admittedly doesn't make me an expert, but gives some of my perspective.

Back