National Protest and 'disband the cops' discussion (please review page 1)

Yes, it was.

Ordinance

Nothing about this challenges what I said.

This often happens when dealing with noncompliant lawbreakers.

And he is welcome to challenge that officer on his home turf - in court.

My point being that he wasn't committing a criminal act, but a municipal violation punishable by a fine. But thank you for being pedantic

And yet here we are.. The perpetrator of this heinous act in Waco Texas is only just demanding a public apology from the officer and department.
Waco PD investigating officer pulling taser on unmasked man

ETA: to that.. I don't even know what the fine to the individual is. I can only see the violation to the business for not requiring visitors. I'm sure there is one.. I mean it's on par with other city ordinances like littering..

ETA2: No citations had been given at this point, back in September, and they've been opting for educating apparently.

Maybe if he started the encounter with the slightest bit of mutual respect.
Hard-pressed to start off any more respectfully than, rather than just arresting someone actively breaking the law in front of signs explaining that it was illegal to do so, instead breathing an audible sigh before asking him where his mask was, stating that it was illegal not to be wearing one inside, and telling him to leave until he had one.

I’m curious about the gun. Last time I was there, Texas wasn’t an open carry state.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the city/county/whatever decided to go with “brandishing” just to save face and justify the tazer.

Hard-pressed to start off any more respectfully than, rather than just arresting someone actively breaking the law in front of signs explaining that it was illegal to do so, instead breathing an audible sigh before asking him where his mask was, stating that it was illegal not to be wearing one inside, and telling him to leave until he had one.
I think you’re grabbing at straws. It wasn’t just an audible sigh, he was barking a rhetorical question at him.

To play devil’s advocate, how did he know that the gentleman didn’t have a medical reason preventing him from wearing a mask? ADA laws protect people like that.

Where did this happen at?
Cop just pissed off another pro-cop individual.

@Florida173 found it. Waco, Texas.

I’m curious about the gun. Last time I was there, Texas wasn’t an open carry state.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the city/county/whatever decided to go with “brandishing” just to save face and justify the tazer.
If he has a Concealed Carry license in Texas that then allows him to open carry, apparently since 2016.

Open Carry | AustinTexas.gov.

Hard-pressed to start off any more respectfully than, rather than just arresting someone actively breaking the law in front of signs explaining that it was illegal to do so, instead breathing an audible sigh before asking him where his mask was, that it was illegal to have one, and that he needed to leave until he had one.
Wrong on so many levels. Gov has superseded all county/city mask ordinances with a State order.
Work around is to fine the business for not requiring masks. Officer fatass should have found the manager.
The way it works is the Manager asks the customer to mask up or leave, the customer can then be cited for CIVIL trespass.

All Officer fatass did was piss off a lot of future jurors.

Cartman as a cop is supposed to be a cartoon, not an example of how to do it.

The guy arrested was wearing a body camera, I didn't see a clear sign requiring a mask as he walked in.

The only knock on the guy is Texas is very clear about LTC/PD interactions, and this guy will be used as an example of how not to do it.

My point being that he wasn't committing a criminal act, but a municipal violation punishable by a fine. But thank you for being pedantic
Your nitpicking of my word choice didn't actually affect my point, so I didn't understand why you were making the distinction if you weren't addressing it.

And you're welcome too!

I think you’re grabbing at straws. It wasn’t just an audible sigh, he was barking a rhetorical question at him.

To play devil’s advocate, how did he know that the gentleman didn’t have a medical reason preventing him from wearing a mask? ADA laws protect people like that.
Because he didn't provide a medical reason, and it is reasonable to ask someone why they are breaking a law if an exemption to it isn't immediately apparent.

Wrong on so many levels. Gov has superseded all county/city mask ordinances with a State order.
Work around is to fine the business for not requiring masks. Officer fatass should have found the manager.
The way it works is the Manager asks the customer to mask up or leave, the customer can then be cited for CIVIL trespass.

All Officer fatass did was piss off a lot of future jurors.

Cartman as a cop is supposed to be a cartoon, not an example of how to do it.

The guy arrested was wearing a body camera, I didn't see a clear sign requiring a mask as he walked in.

The only knock on the guy is Texas is very clear about LTC/PD interactions, and this guy will be used as an example of how not to do it.

and ultimately was only issued a written warning.

This is a 5 month old video. Why'd you post such an old video, and regardless of that what ended up happening?

I'm guessing because the officer's video was released through FOIA recently.

This is a 5 month old video. Why'd you post such an old video, and regardless of that what ended up happening?

1. Just saw it today, the original tweet before it was retweeted was posted on 26 JAN. So, didn't have the context of that article.

2. The next thing that seemed to happen was an anti-mask protest in front of WACO PD HQ.

Anti-mask protest held outside Waco PD headquarters

3. Story seems to fade away. But it's been making the rounds on social in the last week.

1. Just saw it today, the original tweet before it was retweeted was posted on 26 JAN. So, didn't have the context of that article.

2. The next thing that seemed to happen was an anti-mask protest in front of WACO PD HQ.

Anti-mask protest held outside Waco PD headquarters

3. Story seems to fade away. But it's been making the rounds on social in the last week.

From his video on what he recorded, seems like the cops thought he was just a first amendment auditor. I think most of those guys are super obnoxious, but whatever.

His video is here. records much more of the encounter

Entire encounter is about 20 minutes with him walking away and the officer saying that he agrees with the guy, but just enforcing the ordinance.

There may well be a "causation vs. correlation" argument to be made here, but it seems logical to me that a reduction in funding, massive increases in police officers walking away from the job, and a general reluctance to mix it up on the street due to the "Ferguson Effect" could be the cause of murders rising among all races in America.

Between 2010 and 2019, there was an average of 5,954 White murders, which is roughly 16% lower than the 10-year average of Black murders. During that same time period, an average of 6,927 Black Americans were murdered each year, meaning Black murders shot up by 43% in 2020 compared to the previous 10-year average.

There was a roughly 21% increase in White murders in 2020 compared to 2019.

Massive increase in Black Americans murdered was result of defund police movement: experts

The Latte Liberal policies of "defund the police" has adverse and direct effects on the communities in which need law enforcement the most. If we go to Kenosha for Jacob Blake, the BLM Riots that occurred didn't touch the rich part of town. They burned down working class businesses and other things that created major effects upon the lives of low income people. If anything that whole situation was created by agitators...when a dude was in the midst of kidnapping and had just committed sexual assault.

But that happened in many communities, go to Minneapolis and see what was torched.

Back