Post up Your pet pics, not Youtube

So, I’ve been dealing with this for a couple weeks.

Jedi managed to lacerate his right foreleg pretty well, just under the dew claw. Two sutures, 750mg cephalexin twice a day, plus wound care. Oh, and no work. Leash walks only. He can’t be kenneled at home or in the truck because of the cone of shame (can’t fit). Carprofen for pain and trazodone to keep him calm.

No work and no exercise in a high drive, working Malinois. The dog is an Olympic class athlete who suddenly can’t work or exercise. Yeah, this is going to go well.

Sutures lasted about 3 days.

No infection and the wound is healing as it should, from the inside out with good granulation. But it’s going to take a while.

He hates the bandage. He’s gotten it off a couple times despite the cone of shame—he’s learned to use it as a tool, little fucker—and swallowed the whole thing once. Off to the emergency vet for apomorphine.

I’ve been doing the wound care and we’re now using menuka honey dressings since the course of antibiotics is done.

I say all this because if you own a dog you should learn some level of canine first aid. Bandaging a dog, particularly a limb or paw, is not like bandaging a human.

IMG_6023.jpegIMG_7485.jpeg

Jedi managed to lacerate his right foreleg pretty well, just under the dew claw. Two sutures, 750mg cephalexin twice a day, plus wound care. Oh, and no work. Leash walks only. He can’t be kenneled at home or in the truck because of the cone of shame (can’t fit). Carprofen for pain and trazodone to keep him calm.

No work and no exercise in a high drive, working Malinois. The dog is an Olympic class athlete who suddenly can’t work or exercise. Yeah, this is going to go well.

No infection and the wound is healing as it should, from the inside out with good granulation. But it’s going to take a while.

He hates the bandage. He’s gotten it off a couple times despite the cone of shame—he’s learned to use it as a tool, little fucker—and swallowed the whole thing once. Off to the emergency vet for apomorphine.

I’ve been doing the wound care and we’re now using menuka honey dressings since the course of antibiotics is done.

I say all this because if you own a dog you should learn some level of canine first aid. Bandaging a dog, particularly a limb or paw, is not like bandaging a human.

View attachment 43659View attachment 43660

We’ve previously had to resort to multiple layers of socks for a similar injury on our lab (not nearly the same crackhead energy) and it was a struggle. At least the socks stabilized the leg some and he had to lick/chew through those which bought us some time. Good luck with that.

View attachment 43659View attachment 43660

Glad to hear the wound is healing, but trying to keep a Malinois sedate enough to help his own recovery is a challenge. We’ve been through a hip injury with TR that demanded house rest…and it drove him crazy. Good luck and get well, Jedi.

We’ve previously had to resort to multiple layers of socks for a similar injury on our lab (not nearly the same crackhead energy) and it was a struggle. At least the socks stabilized the leg some and he had to lick/chew through those which bought us some time. Good luck with that.

Part of the trick is to use tape ‘stirrups’ under and over the first layer of bandage. A tape collar at the top helps too. But nothing is Malinois proof.

Part of the trick is to use tape ‘stirrups’ under and over the first layer of bandage. A tape collar at the top helps too. But nothing is Malinois proof.

Yeah. Leash walks, hahaha. Then he sees a squirrel.

We also tried inflatable neck “donuts” in place of the cone of shame. More comfortable for the dog but similar effectiveness.

I have stockpiled bandages, especially when the emergency Vet is a good hour away. Lost track of the number of pad, toe or leg lacerations from zebra mussels or sharp rocks over the years.

@policemedic I think I've asked you before but are there any canine specific QuikClot products? Or would regular QuikClot be safe? Obviously covering it to prevent licking.

The owner of our kennel teaches K9 and equine first aid. We're planning on having the kids take courses when they get old enough. Always a good skill to have.

I have stockpiled bandages, especially when the emergency Vet is a good hour away. Lost track of the number of pad, toe or leg lacerations from zebra mussels or sharp rocks over the years.

@policemedic I think I've asked you before but are there any canine specific QuikClot products? Or would regular QuikClot be safe? Obviously covering it to prevent licking.

The owner of our kennel teaches K9 and equine first aid. We're planning on having the kids take courses when they get old enough. Always a good skill to have.
SOMA has several canine classes available. The K9 CPR was super informative.

ETA: The Deployed Medicine app has several K9 offerings as well.

Back