Raid on President Trump's Home

So I wanted to revisit this (fmr. Gov Cuomo's comments regarding the raid) for a moment. Why would he do this?

Is he that mad at the Democrat party for his ouster that he's lashing out?

Is he desperately trying to stay relevant and in the political spotlight after his unceremonious fall from grace?

Does he already know that this was a legit(ish) action, and by coming up on the net help bolster Dems' claims that it's legit.

..."
Fear. Coumo is a criminal and knows that when the tables turn he has no cover, no protection, and that he'll likely end up in a cage.

This shift in incivility, means he (Coumo) and a lot of other bureaucrats and politicians are done. We're about to see the beginning of the French Revolution a la style Américain.

Honest question-

What would it take for those of you who view this as a “sham,” “politically motivated” or a sign “we live in a banana republic” to change their mind?

What evidence needs to be provided that would lead you to believe this was warranted? What info would need to come out of this raid that would lead you believe the former president deserves to be brought up on charges?

What source would have to report this information for you to believe it? Is there any outlet you trust to give you straightforward information regarding the former POTUS and any alleged crimes he may have committed?

I agree with the posts above about having five plus years, almost 6 years, of fabricated stories, lies, propaganda, the left has come up with against Trump, and naturally people would see this as yet one more of the same. After these past years, why wouldn't they?

If the Justice department would say, "We have a warrant to search to look for these based on this information which was submitted to the Justice department as basis for a legal search," and then to find those items and lay out a logical case before the American people, it would at least be above the appearance of impropriety and politics and maybe lay out a logical and rational case as to why they're doing that.

But even attorneys are saying that there is no legal basis for what's going on (to which I can't confirm or refute since I don't know the law).

As far as media outlet goes, I don't trust a damn one of them to give me unbiased, entirely accurate information.

Fear. Coumo is a criminal and knows that when the tables turn he has no cover, no protection, and that he'll likely end up in a cage.

This shift in incivility, means he (Coumo) and a lot of other bureaucrats and politicians are done. We're about to see the beginning of the French Revolution a la style Américain.
I hope not brother, the French Revolution got a lot of good people killed and destroyed a country. None of us want either of those things to happen here.

Honest question-

What would it take for those of you who view this as a “sham,” “politically motivated” or a sign “we live in a banana republic” to change their mind?

What evidence needs to be provided that would lead you to believe this was warranted? What info would need to come out of this raid that would lead you believe the former president deserves to be brought up on charges?

What source would have to report this information for you to believe it? Is there any outlet you trust to give you straightforward information regarding the former POTUS and any alleged crimes he may have committed?

I am no Trump cheerleader. I supported many of his policies but not his behavior. I want him to STFU and retire.

But I honestly can't think of any media source, Left or Right, that isn't (or hasn't been) tainted by political bias. I agree with @Devildoc 's reply above. Show me the evidence. Lay it out. Convince me that this man committed a crime worthy of arrest and prosecution. Convince me that it's worth the damage it will do to the office of the Presidency.

I hope not brother, the French Revolution got a lot of good people killed and destroyed a country. None of us want either of those things to happen here.

It is inevitable though. We’re going to keep dividing our country until you have two extremes with a group in the middle trying to just hang on and survive. That’s just man’s nature supported by a few thousand years of history.

Agreed. Who knows... maybe we'll get a more surgically precise, marked for global export, Romanian-esque version instead. I don't see us fracturing or being destroyed though.

Honest question-

Very tough, but a really good question.

I kind of view this situation like a spouse that's been cheated on. You saw the best in them, but they betrayed your trust...so now what? If you truly love the person, you try to make it work...but you have to establish boundaries, often extremely inconvenient ones usually involving additional oversight.

For me at least, if the rumors about, keeping Trump's lawyers from observing the process and ordering them to turn off cameras are proven to be false based on video evidence, that would be step one toward earning back my trust.

Steps 2-3 involve the FBI having a legit reason for the raid, and it better be damn close to earth shattering, followed by a successful acquisition of said earth shattering documents/tapes/whatever.

Anything less, and I will assume the FBI is in Tijuana, playing STD roulette with a bunch of Mexicans who, bless their hearts, are trying to save up money to build that beautiful wall I was told about circa 2016.

Apparently he could release it himself, but his legal team has said they don't want to.

Trump team won’t release FBI warrant for Mar-a-Lago raid as judge weighs motion to unseal it

If this warrant was so "thin and weak" as his lawyer said, why not jump on the moment and take control of the narrative? If they weren't looking for anything major, why hold that information back?

Looks like from the article that even if the Trump legal team has it, they cannot release it. Maybe I misread or misunderstand. Edited to add, it also looks like from the article they are trying to control the narrative, painting this to be a malicious infringement based on politics. They are requesting a hard copy of the paperwork, affidavit, and inventory of what was taken.

Also interesting that the FBI kicked out Trump's lawyers, kicked them off the property.

Apparently he could release it himself, but his legal team has said they don't want to.

Trump team won’t release FBI warrant for Mar-a-Lago raid as judge weighs motion to unseal it

If this warrant was so "thin and weak" as his lawyer said, why not jump on the moment and take control of the narrative? If they weren't looking for anything major, why hold that information back?

The government executed a search warrant but the accused should release the details of said warrant?

Lol

Looks like they are using a law he signed to prevent him from running again. And if this is the reason for the raid, I want to see similar raids on all former Presidents homes.

On Monday at about 10 a.m. EDT, two dozen FBI agents and technicians showed up at Donald Trump's Florida home to execute a search warrant to obtain any government-owned documents that might be in the possession of Trump but are required to be delivered to the Archives under the provisions of the 1978 Presidential Records Act. (In response to the Hillary Clinton email scandal, Trump himself signed a law in 2018 that made it a felony to remove and retain classified documents.) The act establishes that presidential records are the property of the U.S. government and not a president's private property. Put in place after Watergate to avoid the abuses of the Nixon administration, the law imposes strict penalties for failure to comply. "Whoever, having the custody of any such record, proceeding, map, book, document, paper, or other thing, willfully and unlawfully conceals, removes, mutilates, obliterates, falsifies, or destroys the same, shall be fined" $2,000, up to three years in prison or "shall forfeit his office and be disqualified from holding any office under the United States."

The act, and concerns about the illegal possession of classified "national defense information" are the basis for the search warrant, according to the two sources. The raid had nothing to do with the January 6 investigation or any other alleged wrongdoing by the former president.

Exclusive: An informer told the FBI what documents Trump was hiding, and where

Looks like they are using a law he signed to prevent him from running again. And if this is the reason for the raid, I want to see similar raids on all former Presidents homes.

I think one of the differences is as president he has the authority to declassify the materials, even if it's in his house. Clinton never had that authority. At least that's one legal theory. We will see how it goes.

That would have to be a hell of a good source, with super placement and access, whose testimony would be above reproach. So… probably not the maid, probably not the gardener.

Either someone in President Trump’s inner circle, or someone on his Secret Service detail?

That would have to be a hell of a good source, with super placement and access, whose testimony would be above reproach. So… probably not the maid, probably not the gardener.

Either someone in President Trump’s inner circle, or someone on his Secret Service detail?

I'm thinking SS detail. I think the Trump team has likely, weeded out potential leaks from his inner circle.

Democrats have been much better about the weaponization of the DOJ than Republicans ever were. But regardless of whether you think there was a legal basis for it, this idiot AG never thought to even think about whether they should do this and set a massive precedent by doing such. The optics of how the FBI colluded with the Clinton Campaign to attempt to halt Trump's candidacy should have saw Comey behind bars. No one from that episode has face justice, in fact many of them are becoming rich off book deals.

Post inauguration this whole government has TDS, the only thing they focus on is Trump. We're turning into a banana republic, and here's the thing. Just like removing the Filibuster to get some nonsense done bit the Democrats in the ass. When a new regime takes power, the precedent has been set. And if you don't think the current administration is corrupt and incompetent...you have been living in a coal mine sealed off from everyone else.

Honest question-

We're clearly living in different worlds. But let's start with Garland and Biden resigning.

Democrats have been much better about the weaponization of the DOJ than Republicans ever were. But regardless of whether you think there was a legal basis for it, this idiot AG never thought to even think about whether they should do this and set a massive precedent by doing such. The optics of how the FBI colluded with the Clinton Campaign to attempt to halt Trump's candidacy should have saw Comey behind bars. No one from that episode has face justice, in fact many of them are becoming rich off book deals.

Post inauguration this whole government has TDS, the only thing they focus on is Trump. We're turning into a banana republic, and here's the thing. Just like removing the Filibuster to get some nonsense done bit the Democrats in the ass. When a new regime takes power, the precedent has been set. And if you don't think the current administration is corrupt and incompetent...you have been living in a coal mine sealed off from everyone else.

We're clearly living in different worlds. But let's start with Garland and Biden resigning.

I live in the world where you ask questions to better understand varying viewpoints. I guess you’re off in the echo chamber world.

The government executed a search warrant but the accused should release the details of said warrant?

Lol

If the accused is arguing that the search was over nothing and basically had no legal basis, yes.

I'm not saying the government shouldn't release the warrant, which should have been done within 24 hours of the raid given the enormity of it, but that the legitimacy of the warrant could already be known.

If I want to control the narrative that this is a political witch hunt, I'm releasing those documents. The only reason I'm not is if the warrant specifies things that aren't being reported on yet.

I appreciate the irony of him getting caught by a law he pushed for and signed, but I really hope this isn't the case. It fully creates precedent for every new election to have political prisoners.

I'm thinking someone in the inner circle who is facing charges/investigations themselves. I'm sure we'll know when they announce their book in 6-8 months.

Back