Report: DoD Investigating Whether Navy SEALs Strangled Green Beret To Death In Mali

Again, as I lead that comment with, I'm not saying it was the due justice - just that his punishment is far from the slap on the wrist that folks are calling it.
No, the demotion and forfeiture of pay doesn't come into this. It's a year in confinement for a murder. If it was five years, we'd be talking much different. I get it, you need someone to roll, but this is a legit slap on the wrist. One year, is not enough time to even reflect on how fucked of a person he is.

Considering that anyone who murders a brother in arms should be hung. (IMO)

Last edited:
I have mixed feelings. While I feel it is little, too little, the end result of a big chicken dinner exclusive of hard time will severely restrict his post-military life. Between that and the notoriety, he'll be lucky if he works at a convenience store. That said, I am super torqued he's not getting any significant time.

I have to rationalize this that part of the plea is his rolling on other evidence against other people.

Maybe I'm the only one here who's been busted down...

Not to say that this plea is "justice", but (assuming the max penalty spelled out above) reduction to PVT (from E7!) plus 2/3 pay forfeiture for a year plus a year in prison plus a BCD is hardly a slap on the wrist. Chief's career and professional life is done. And anyone he's supporting financially (family?) is now proper fucked.

Again, not saying this somehow balances the scales for his involvement in the murder/manslaughter of a Green Beret, just pointing out that this is no slap on the wrist.
Just for giggles, what's your idea of getting off easy after committing murder/manslaughter?
As someone who has served as a Juror I can say this is lighter then he should/could have received.
E-1 makes a lot less money then an E-7, so you are really looking at a 80-90% reduction. So his family is financially fucked is an understatement. His wife (or Ex) better have a nice job. I would also guess he will be divorced within a year.
Year in prison only if he is stupid, DOD generally paroles out at the 15% served mark, so 60 days is a probability.
The good news, he loses his clearance and VA Medical/burial bennies, loss of clearance will reduce his employment options.
I still think the SEAL Community will find a way to get him back on his feet.:thumbsdown:

Plenty of people go to prison for murder and their felonies stick for a lifetime. Boohoo. However, don't we expect our community to hold to a higher standard, and the SOF community to one even higher? This isn't an average drug deal gone wrong or gang shooting. It's trust within a community that was lost and for that...a year doesn't cut it for me.

There is the possibility that they went "easy" on him so he will flip on the others...
There are numerous conspirators that participated in this murder/hazing - maybe they are planning to stick it to the "next" one
...or not
Time will tell

Murder One in any DA's office in the country. But it won't happen here.

Andrew's copped a plea...but still insists it was an "accident." So that means he's not going to rat out anybody for premeditated murder. That makes the plea deal worthless for anybody trying to get a murder conviction.

Last edited:
There is the possibility that they went "easy" on him so he will flip on the others...
There are numerous conspirators that participated in this murder/hazing - maybe they are planning to stick it to the "next" one
...or not
Time will tell

Wouldn't be the first time someone got a deal for their testimony, standard prosecution strategy. I'll wait to see how this shakes out....

...or not
Time will tell
3 of the 4 have flipped.
It looks like the Gy Sgt is all whose left.

One thing I can't wrap my head around is how someone trained in hand to hand combat somehow "accidentally choked" the victim too hard. This whole situation is sad and should of NEVER happened.

I read this article earlier today, it read in part (emphasis added):

died on June 4, 2017, when Matthews and three other U.S. service members hazed him with the permission of Melgar's team leader.

I must have missed that tidbit earlier.

What kind of team leader green lights what is essentially a blanket party for one of their own guys, outsourcing the "remediation" (term used in the story) to not only a whole other unit, but to whole other services? This was a combined and joint beat down, it seems weird to me that the SEALs would have gone to an SF team leader (not sure if they mean the officer or the team sergeant) and say "Hey we want to beat the shit out of one of your guys" and that team leader being OK with it.

This whole thing is bizarre.

Reduction to E5, bad conduct discharge, and only one year in prison? How the fuck is this justice?!

The more I read about this case, the more pissed off I get. I'm with his mother. Someone had better burn for what they did to Logan.

Since when does an experienced "fighter" put someone in a blood choke for 3-5 min. I'm pretty sure some dip shit private knows what happens when you choke someone for 3-5 min, so how do supposedly elite sEaLs get away with it being an "accident"?

What happened about these fuckers skimming Opfund? Is that getting swept under the rug?

I also want to know why the other SF guy green lit the whole thing, if that's actually what happened. This whole thing is a mess.

"Matthews suggested that the Marines felt Melgar had abandoned them in an urban setting that has been the target of terrorist activity."

This is such lame-ass bullshit. They were on their way to a fucking embassy party and were following Melgar and they lost him...or he lost them.

The particular "urban setting that has been a target of terrorist activity" could describe any city in the world, New York, Paris, London. It's not like he unassed the AO in the middle of a firefight.

These guys were partying their asses off in Bamako, which, as I've mentioned, has a healthy nightlife and it wouldn't surprise me to learn that they were using the cashbox for booze, drugs and hookers.

Melgar wasn't a "team player" because he wasn't a thief like them...so they fucking murdered him.

From the Army Times

After the party snub, the four defendants and others hatched a plan to bust into Logan’s room, subdue him, tie him up and video record the incident to humiliate him in order to put him in line with what they said was expected of him when working with the other members of the unit.

But they were not in his chain of command.

So Matthews said he told DeDolph to get permission from Logan’s team leader Morris. Matthews testified that DeDolph woke Morris just before 5 a.m. Morris allegedly said yes and then went back to sleep.

I'm gonna hazard a guess that asking for permission was more "Hey, we're gonna go fuck with Logan a bit" and less "we have this whole plan to tie up and haze Logan, you cool with that?"

The defense is hilarious. "Yeah, we knew we were breaking the law, but we didn't think it would go this far. So, let us go because we really meant to break lesser laws, not murder the guy."

I hope someone shanks these fucks.

Back