Retention and Recruitment Crisis

One way to address recruiting needs is to focus on stuff that doesn't increase lethality (saying climate change is your number one priority) and publicly tell everyone you intend to shrink the fleet.

Navy secretary cited climate change as top priority as Biden proposes shrinking the fleet

SecNav and SecArm really need to focus on stuff like weapons. Not bullshit. But hey that's why they were appointed, to be shills and not advocates of their services.

One way to address recruiting needs is to focus on stuff that doesn't increase lethality (saying climate change is your number one priority) and publicly tell everyone you intend to shrink the fleet.

Navy secretary cited climate change as top priority as Biden proposes shrinking the fleet

SecNav and SecArm really need to focus on stuff like weapons. Not bullshit. But hey that's why they were appointed, to be shills and not advocates of their services.

It truly is a climate change issue...command climate change.

on stuff that doesn't increase lethality (saying climate change is your number one priority) and publicly tell everyone you intend to shrink the fleet.
Lethality has an effectiveness factor interrelated to intimidation factors encouraging enemies to think twice before attacking. As far as warfare goes it becomes either a matter of how many fleets and units needed or how indiscriminately lethally massive one form of weaponry can deliver.

The danger of unintended consequences is putting faith in weapons of mass destruction is the reduction of military capability to contain and deter on a less massive lethality level increases the need to resort to using weapons of mass destruction. So who is likely to go first strike first in a regional conflict that spirals out of control when there is no effective conventional force available?

Last edited:
I knew that Army would figure out their recruiting issues eventually!

Army unveils ribbon for soldiers who refer a friend

I mean…why should Air Force get all the bling?

To add…and I’m only being kinda-sorta sarcastic, but how long before this ribbon becomes an unoffical prerequisite for certain promotions or schools…a symbol of ‘great’ leadership and influence!

5AE7164B-8F4E-4C7D-856C-FF86227ED0E9.jpeg

So we've got a situation wherein a component of society we might naturally assume to be more likely to enlist (Conservatives) telling people not to join because of liberal polices, and a different component of society (Progressives) telling their young people that their country is irredeemably racist and contemptible. Combine that with the fact that a large section of military aged Americans are too dumb/drugged/criminal/fat/sick/weak to join... who's left to sign up?

Yeah, but...if your focus is on the LGBT community then wouldn't 19D's be at like 470% manning? Shit, if you're willing to dress up like infantry then you're certainly into drag shows...

Sit down signal!

So we've got a situation wherein a component of society we might naturally assume to be more likely to enlist (Conservatives) telling people not to join because of liberal polices, and a different component of society (Progressives) telling their young people that their country is irredeemably racist and contemptible. Combine that with the fact that a large section of military aged Americans are too dumb/drugged/criminal/fat/sick/weak to join... who's left to sign up?

Well Sir, if you notice who 44 and 46 put in charge of the Army, you can see why we've gotten really soft and become a kinder and gentler Force that doesn't focus on training people that need killing.

Fanning and Wormouth are the best these people have?

I'll keep my commentary on how Fanning was only appointed because he was gay.

Last edited:
The Military can thank itself for this problem. The services are now no different than major international corporations. Human resources, mandatory diversity training, “loss of confidence” punishments for unknown and often bullshit political reasons. Etc. etc.

Now we sit at a point where many Veterans, myself included, would not recommend their own children go into to the military, even as officers.

I have two young sons whom I could definitely see be successful officers in both the Air Force and the Marine Corps. Never once did I recommend it, and if they had come to me, I think I would’ve tried to talk them out of it.

The everyday and mundane bullshit of the military is normal and expected, but I don’t trust leadership anymore. And there in lies the problem.

All the cute inclusive commercials, and Knights playing chess, can’t fix that.

Not sure if I want to start a thread about how Democrats and Democratic rags are advocating for cutting VA benefits...and I won't link the oped by the BezosPost editorial board that went live yesterday. This follows the CBO report saying we should do a means test for veterans who make over 170k...sorry, but if you lost both your legs and you are making 170k, I don't care, you earned your disability.

You break it, you buy it.

Air Force loosens applicants' body fat requirements amid US obesity surge, recruiting struggles | Fox News

Bring on the fat bodies!

I have mixed opinions about this. On one hand, not everyone needs to be a physical specimen to contribute to their country (looking at you, cyber). But on the other hand, obesity comes with its own inherent risks that add costs to the healthcare system, as well as lost man hours from simple injuries attributed to carrying extra weight.

In the article, I’m glad it’s addressed that it’s a different generation, and looking at things like changes to tattoos and such that are now new societal norms is happening.

The Military can thank itself for this problem. The services are now no different than major international corporations. Human resources, mandatory diversity training, “loss of confidence” punishments for unknown and often bullshit political reasons. Etc. etc.

Now we sit at a point where many Veterans, myself included, would not recommend their own children go into to the military, even as officers.

I have two young sons whom I could definitely see be successful officers in both the Air Force and the Marine Corps. Never once did I recommend it, and if they had come to me, I think I would’ve tried to talk them out of it.

The everyday and mundane bullshit of the military is normal and expected, but I don’t trust leadership anymore. And there in lies the problem.

All the cute inclusive commercials, and Knights playing chess, can’t fix that.
The military is not the reason we have all of that training. It's directed by political appointees. I guarantee we wouldn't be doing at least half of the stupid shit we're doing if it wasn't pushed on us.

Not sure if I want to start a thread about how Democrats and Democratic rags are advocating for cutting VA benefits...and I won't link the oped by the BezosPost editorial board that went live yesterday. This follows the CBO report saying we should do a means test for veterans who make over 170k...sorry, but if you lost both your legs and you are making 170k, I don't care, you earned your disability.

You break it, you buy it.
It's going to happen. Why? Because the .gov desperately needs money to fund other (vote-getting) social programs. And:

Vets.
Don't.
Riot.

Back