Retention and Recruitment Crisis

Fat Milley out here doing Fat Milley things!

Walter Reed National Military Medical Center Terminates Catholic Pastoral Care Contract During Holy Week - Archdiocese for the Military, USA

You'd think the president who is supposedly Catholic would be appalled.

Time for me to rant about contracting again, but the BLUF here is "this won't change for years, if at all."

The Franciscans’ contract for Catholic Pastoral Care was terminated on March 31, 2023, and awarded to a secular defense contracting firm that cannot fulfill the statement of work in the contract.

I contracted for almost 17 years before crossing over to the .gov side last year. Regardless, my views on contracting have not changed, views which are favorable and "less than favorable" on contracting as a whole.

I know @BloodStripe is far better versed on the admin/legal/contract side than I ever will be, so he can maybe correct me on this. A thing exists, and I've heard a few terms used, I'll run with what I know, the Contractor Performance and Assessment Reporting System or CPARS; I've also heard it referred to by the form name of CPAR or just PAR. Anywho, this documents exactly that: how well a contractor performs its job, what it is paid to do. You also have a COR, Contracting Officer's Representative. The COR is the government's local (supposed to be at least) eyes and ears monitoring the contractor's performance.

Here's where it shits the bed.

Maybe the COR is honest and doing their job, but more likely the COR is buddy-buddy with the contractors and doesn't drop a PAR on bad performance. Failure 1. When a PAR is written, companies tend to "lawyer up" with their response. A sort of fatigue sets in and eventually the gov't develops "learned helplessness" which to simplify is a mindset of taking a beating until you give up. Thus, the only time a PAR becomes relevant, if at all, is during a contract rebid. Failure 2. The gov't can use PARs as a reason to reject a contractor's rebid proposal, and even that will see the company lawyer up. Some (all of my overseas in this case, but not stateside) contracts are for 5 years with a 1 year "approval"; in theory this gives the gov't an early out for poor performance. The problem is this is very, very rare in my experience. Failure 3. Individual contractors can be total shitbirds and the .mil will rarely press to have them fired and the company is typically only paid if that slot is filled, so there's no incentive to fire said shitbird. Failure 4. There's a lot more to this, but I'm tired of typing and most of you have stopped reading.

Mechanisms exist to "fix" a bad contract, but those mechanisms are only as good as the gov't reps involved. I'm not even remotely religious and even I think this situation is wrong, just flat wrong. Religion is very, very important in the lives of many, so stripping away a religious connection, especially in this context, is very harmful to the patients. At a time when mental health is at an all time low, a positive source of treatment is taken away? That is as wrong as the Dalai Lama around schoolchildren (nod to current events). This CAN be fixed though, there are ways to make the contractor fulfill its contract or tell them to hit the bricks. We just won't do it and it would not matter who is in the WH, once the genie is out of the bottle it is very difficult to return to the "days of old." As much as I support contracting and contractors, the above needs to be fixed but it won't because of lawyers and money. Thus, a very positive tool or method is corrupted with taxpayers and servicemembers paying the price.

Follow me for more hot takes on contracting.

Thank you.

I'll read the twitter thread when I have some time later today. I like how it starts though, from an explanation POV.

Correct me if I am wrong:

I read WRNMC severed the contract, but they still have Catholics on site and on call to provide Catholic pastoral care. The Franciscan order is still able to provide pastoral care, they have not been barred from the site or from their services.

If this is true, the outrage seems a bit misplaced. If the headlines are true, it sounds like Catholics are barred from providing services to Catholics at WRNMC.

I read WRNMC severed the contract, but they still have Catholics on site and on call to provide Catholic pastoral care. The Franciscan order is still able to provide pastoral care, they have not been barred from the site or from their services.

If this is true, the outrage seems a bit misplaced. If the headlines are true, it sounds like Catholics are barred from providing services to Catholics at WRNMC.

Due to the massive priest shortage WRMC was serviced under a contract. That contract expired and then was handed to a non-Catholic org that has no ability to provide Catholic pastoral services. So where do you get that take?

Important to note they continued to provide pastoral care until the cease and desist order was sent.

Last edited:
Due to the massive priest shortage WRMC was serviced under a contract. That contract expired and then was handed to a non-Catholic org that has no ability to provide Catholic pastoral services. So where do you get that take?

Important to note they continued to provide pastoral care until the cease and desist order was sent.

"For many years, a Catholic ordained priest has been on staff at WRNMMC providing religious sacraments to service members, veterans and their loved ones. There has also been a pastoral care contract in place to supplement those services provided."

"Currently a review of the pastoral care contract is under review to ensure it adequately supports the religious needs of our patients and beneficiaries," the statement said. "Although at this time the Franciscan Diocese will not be hosting services on Sunday parishioners of the Diocese while patients at our facilities may still seek their services."

I could be misreading it. My basic comprehensions skills can be sus from time to time.

Time for me to rant about contracting again, but the BLUF here is "this won't change for years, if at all."

I contracted for almost 17 years before crossing over to the .gov side last year. Regardless, my views on contracting have not changed, views which are favorable and "less than favorable" on contracting as a whole.

I know @BloodStripe is far better versed on the admin/legal/contract side than I ever will be, so he can maybe correct me on this. A thing exists, and I've heard a few terms used, I'll run with what I know, the Contractor Performance and Assessment Reporting System or CPARS; I've also heard it referred to by the form name of CPAR or just PAR. Anywho, this documents exactly that: how well a contractor performs its job, what it is paid to do. You also have a COR, Contracting Officer's Representative. The COR is the government's local (supposed to be at least) eyes and ears monitoring the contractor's performance.

Here's where it shits the bed.

Maybe the COR is honest and doing their job, but more likely the COR is buddy-buddy with the contractors and doesn't drop a PAR on bad performance. Failure 1. When a PAR is written, companies tend to "lawyer up" with their response. A sort of fatigue sets in and eventually the gov't develops "learned helplessness" which to simplify is a mindset of taking a beating until you give up. Thus, the only time a PAR becomes relevant, if at all, is during a contract rebid. Failure 2. The gov't can use PARs as a reason to reject a contractor's rebid proposal, and even that will see the company lawyer up. Some (all of my overseas in this case, but not stateside) contracts are for 5 years with a 1 year "approval"; in theory this gives the gov't an early out for poor performance. The problem is this is very, very rare in my experience. Failure 3. Individual contractors can be total shitbirds and the .mil will rarely press to have them fired and the company is typically only paid if that slot is filled, so there's no incentive to fire said shitbird. Failure 4. There's a lot more to this, but I'm tired of typing and most of you have stopped reading.

Mechanisms exist to "fix" a bad contract, but those mechanisms are only as good as the gov't reps involved. I'm not even remotely religious and even I think this situation is wrong, just flat wrong. Religion is very, very important in the lives of many, so stripping away a religious connection, especially in this context, is very harmful to the patients. At a time when mental health is at an all time low, a positive source of treatment is taken away? That is as wrong as the Dalai Lama around schoolchildren (nod to current events). This CAN be fixed though, there are ways to make the contractor fulfill its contract or tell them to hit the bricks. We just won't do it and it would not matter who is in the WH, once the genie is out of the bottle it is very difficult to return to the "days of old." As much as I support contracting and contractors, the above needs to be fixed but it won't because of lawyers and money. Thus, a very positive tool or method is corrupted with taxpayers and servicemembers paying the price.

Follow me for more hot takes on contracting.

You nailed it on the head about the COR. Almost every single fraud thing involving a contract has had a COR who was either in on it or naive to the whole thing because they lacked oversight. I also know of at least two large defense companies who get almost everything sole sourced to them don’t give a rats ass about their CPARS rating. When I heard this guy (who happened to be this company’s top lobbiest say that, I was at first shocked and appalled and then thought, you know I’m not shocked since they are basically given A CAT program contracts for free.

The question is: Are the contract priests ordained, and still permitted to conduct services?

Someone could be forcibly retired, then slide into a contract if you are not careful.

Lawmakers demand answers after priests booted from Walter Reed campus

At least the Congress Criminals are doing something important.

The question is: Are the contract priests ordained, and still permitted to conduct services?

Someone could be forcibly retired, then slide into a contract if you are not careful.

No. And a private company wouldn't have priests anyway, priests belong to the church. But this is how insidious fat Milley and his cronies are. They took the pastoral care contract and gave it a staffing company. Wtf, over.

Mack Global, LLC

They claim they do Catholic staffing on their website, but the only people whom are civilians that can assist priests to do things like serve communion need to be Catholic. Company has five employees on LinkedIn. But even then, they still would not have priests or deacons.

Last edited:
I'm sure Cardinal Glick would approve; after all, It's the Army - we're supposed to kill folk - not pray for them. Besides, if they wanted reliable emotional support they should have mutilated their genitals instead of believing in things like Santa Clause and the Easter Bunny - something, something, something, yada, yada, yada...

Wow.jpg

We contract out for religious services to outstations in EUCOM and AFRICOM. Can confirm that they are ordained.

We contract out for religious services to outstations in EUCOM and AFRICOM. Can confirm that they are ordained.

For Catholic Priests it would be to dioceses or holy orders though. Not a private for profit company that has no ability to hire priests. Priests belong to the Church.

I suppose Joel Osteen types could work for this company though...but again, that would not fulfill a contract for Catholic pastoral care.

An opinion piece in The Wall Street Journal.
======================

The Military Recruitment Crisis Is a Symptom of Cultural Rot

By David McCormick And James Cunningham

America’s cultural cancer manifests itself in many ways, but no symptom is more telling than our low military recruitment. Last year the Army hit only 75% of its recruiting target, while other services had to scramble to meet theirs. This year looks to be worse. The all-volunteer force, formed 50 years ago, is in peril and threatens our ability to defend ourselves in a dangerous world. What does this say about America?

It says we have a national health crisis. A volunteer military requires able-bodied recruits, but 77% of young Americans would be unfit to serve for health reasons. Behind that statistic lies a mountain of concerning data. Every year, fentanyl and other drugs take more than 106,000 lives and affect millions more, reducing the pool of recruits.

It says that partisan politics have infected America’s core institutions. Civilian leaders have used the uniformed services as political pawns and directed them to push progressive priorities. This makes it harder for military leaders to accomplish their central mission—fighting and winning the nation’s wars. It also explains why less than half of Americans (48%) express a great deal of confidence in the U.S. military, a 22point drop in five years. The politicization of institutions, whether the military, schools or professional sports, divides our country where it should be most unified.

Those divisions contribute to the atomization of American society, which the U.S. military hasn’t escaped. In the late 1980s, when a young Lt. McCormick looked at his platoon in the 82nd Airborne Division— with a Southern Baptist from Alabama, a black man from Newark, and a Puerto Rican platoon sergeant— he saw a strong, diverse and confident America. Now the military

draws from a shrinking pool, most with parents or close relatives who served. The rest of society has few family ties to the military. This is only one of the thousands of small fractures subdividing our society, stoked by social media, the left’s obsession with race, sex and identity, and extreme figures on the right as well.

These factors fuel the greatest cultural ailment of all: waning confidence in American exceptionalism. Members of the military carry on a proud tradition, and the nation owes them our gratitude. But their willingness to wear the uniform stands out in a country where only 9% of those eligible to serve wish to do so.

How did it come to this? Americans have been fed a narrative of victimhood. Our society treats veterans as victims or, worse, charity cases, not as warrior-citizens taught leadership, discipline and camaraderie. On campus, in the media and across popular culture, grievance is the new currency of the realm.

Children are taught to doubt, not love, America, and leaders on both sides of the aisle question its goodness. Perhaps we shouldn’t be surprised that only 38% of Americans highly value patriotism and an equal share say they are “extremely proud” to be American.

The same forces that threaten the all-volunteer force endanger American society at large. These concerns animate our new book, “Superpower in Peril,” in which we chart a path to national renewal. But policy alone can’t heal a spiritual problem. The American spirit fills our national character with courage, ambition and creativity. It is our source of strength when times get bad, and the defining feature of American exceptionalism. That spirit has been neglected—or worse, suppressed—by the forces laid out here. The military recruiting crisis is a direct result of its decline.

We need new leaders to cultivate the American spirit and restore institutional integrity: in the Pentagon, to put war fighting and deterrence first; in schools, to teach civics and America’s exceptional story; in business, to reaffirm the principles of merit and capitalism; and across society, to create a new national commitment to citizenship.

William F. Buckley Jr. defined citizenship as the union of privilege (because to be an American is to be blessed with liberty and opportunity) and responsibility (because as Americans we have a duty to preserve the republic and serve our nation). Today, we have the balance wrong, emphasizing privilege and too often forgetting responsibility.

Perhaps the military recruiting crisis is the lagging indicator of America’s cultural collapse. Or maybe it’s the canary in the coal mine, an early warning that it is time to rescue American exceptionalism. What we do next as citizens will decide.

Mr. McCormick, a combat veteran and former CEO of Bridgewater Associates, was a candidate for the Republican U.S. Senate nomination in Pennsylvania in 2022. He is author, with Mr. Cunningham, of “Superpower in Peril: A Battle Plan to Renew America.”

LINK

I don't know anything about that world (the God squad). Seems to me that the hospital could have or would have billets for AD chaplains and call in a local denomination for anything denomination-specific (looking at you, Catholic, Muslim, and Jewish brothers...).

I don't know anything about that world (the God squad). Seems to me that the hospital could have or would have billets for AD chaplains and call in a local denomination for anything denomination-specific (looking at you, Catholic, Muslim, and Jewish brothers...).
They do, but their is a huge shortfall in non protestant chaplains.
Chaplains have been leaving/retiring faster then replacements can be recruited.
Friend of mine, Catholic Chaplain, just retired. Surprised most of us as he didn't stick around for his Majors board. 20 years and a couple of days.

Different subject than pastoral care. And I'm out...but how is this possible?

Soldiers Are Away from Home Now More than Ever Despite No Major Ongoing Wars

When I was still on Active Duty I was in a unit that had one of the highest operational tempos in the Army that wasn't OPFOR at a CTC or deployed. Thank you Army Priority units! The Training Tempo we had created a lot of problems, I was a single PL at the time and I wanted to do the field portion of my job so it was cool. But I was still in the field 100/of my first 180 days while at Fort Bliss. That mission now rotates amongst brigades, on top of that you had guys that were stuck there forever, it was as if you were deployed because you got fenced by HRC. It wasn't because guys chose to hop from Brigade to Brigade like they do at Bragg or Drum (why people do that at Drum I'll never know).

Last edited:
Different subject than pastoral care. And I'm out...but how is this possible?

Soldiers Are Away from Home Now More than Ever Despite No Major Ongoing Wars

When I was still on Active Duty I was in a unit that had one of the highest operational tempos in the Army that wasn't OPFOR at a CTC or deployed. Thank you Army Priority units! The Training Tempo we had created a lot of problems, I was a single PL at the time and I wanted to do the field portion of my job so it was cool. But I was still in the field 100/of my first 180 days while at Fort Bliss. That mission now rotates amongst brigades, on top of that you had guys that were stuck there forever, it was as if you were deployed because you got fenced by HRC. It wasn't because guys chose to hop from Brigade to Brigade like they do at Bragg or Drum (why people do that at Drum I'll never know).

I've had friends go officer and come back to our old brigade and say it has a higher optempo today than it did when it was surging in Afghanistan.

Although the Army is maintaining it's retention mission for enlisted, we aren't doing a good job of retaining mid-career officers or warrants. In the MI community it has become so bad that MI WOs are expanding BZ promotions to CW3, and the exodus of senior CPTs is so severe we might get 95% selection rates for Major. On one hand it's good news for several people, but if retention dips, we may actually have more vacancies than promotable officers to fill them..

Back