Retention and Recruitment Crisis

I also guess my point is more abstract. I have a Yarborough, and a DD-214 that says I was an 18D. Even if the commander of SWC was like “your tab was revoked”, it wouldn’t mean anything. I have a DD-214, all my grad certs, and still did what I did. There would be zero point in revoking a tab after service.

https://www.rand.org/paf/projects/dopma-ropma/retirement-and-separation/recall-to-active-duty.html

...Notice there is nothing about regular veterans who are separated if their entire initial contract has been fulfilled...
I was in the IRR when Desert Storm started. As a result, I was recalled and during the process, I was talking with the Sergeant Major about general "stuff" concerning recalls and that is the way he explained it to me. He stated that once my contract was completely fulfilled, I was no longer eligible to be recalled.

I was in the IRR when Desert Storm started. As a result, I was recalled and during the process, I was talking with the Sergeant Major about general "stuff" concerning recalls and that is the way he explained it to me. He stated that once my contract was completely fulfilled, I was no longer eligible to be recalled.

I went reserve --> AD --> reserve (recalled a few times) --> IRR (recalled once). If you are trying to milk until retirement 'credit' IRR can be the way. I remember the debacle of IRR folks being recalled...so out of standards, all sorts of medical issues...they basically told 99% of us to go home lol.

I don’t. I am speculating and legitimately asking.

However, I do not think the military has any ability( for misconduct not committed in the service) to pull you back into service once your obligation is over. That being your entire obligation. From what I read, only retirees are subject to involuntary recall.
Same. But I know you were SF for a long time and around SF for even longer, whereas I was a support guy who was only in an SF unit for a couple of years, so if you knew for sure I wasn't going to bother asking anyone else for an answer. Since none of us on the site seem to know I'll ask someone who does--or at least should ;) I'll post up here when I get an answer, I'm now very interested.

//break

When I was doing some research on this subject I recalled a situation where a young lieutenant was murdered in Moon Hall on Fort Bragg back in 1993. I thought that this was a case where a separated or retired soldier got recalled for misconduct during service, but I conflated this case with another.

Although it was 30+ years ago and my memory is hazy, I remember when this happened. It was a shocking development--an NCO tried to rape, and then murder, a brand-new 2LT right there on Fort Bragg. ROTC Advanced Camp used to take place at Fort Bragg, and IIRC this lieutenant was cadre and she may have been killed while I was at Camp, I don't recall the timing. I came back to Advanced Camp as cadre after I graduated in 1995 (was supposed to be 1994, but hey, "victory lap") and stayed in Moon Hall for a couple of days before they moved us into the barracks out at Camp MacKall.

What I either didn't know, or didn't recall, until I read the below article is that at the time of the murder the NCO in question was assigned to Georgia Military College, one of my alma maters. I didn't know him, but I think I just missed him by a couple of months.

At any rate, here is the story: Divided by Shared Grief: Slaying Shatters Two Proud Army Families (Published 1993)

Last edited:
^ I don't have an issue with it being all female, but I wonder how much the operation cost and why we are wasting DOD money on this kind of nonsense?
They probably have to jump anyway, so no big deal. To me, it's kind of like when people get bent out of shape at flyovers for sporting events. Proficiency flights are needed anyway, so what does it matter where they do it. Just my $.02.

They probably have to jump anyway, so no big deal. To me, it's kind of like when people get bent out of shape at flyovers for sporting events. Proficiency flights are needed anyway, so what does it matter where they do it. Just my $.02.

More cost effective and cohesive training to jump with their unit. Women or men doesn't matter. No need for a special event in this case, it's just virtue signaling IMO.

But really its fine and not something I'll lose any sleep over.

Last edited:
No different than a law day jump, or any other special jump.
I disagree with you on the flyover. The usually have to orbit near the stadium, which is not a training event, and we fuck maintenance troops over by making them work on a day off.

More cost effective and cohesive training to jump with their unit. Women or men doesn't matter. No need for a special event in this case, it's just virtue signaling IMO.

I was in the field with SOCM last December when 'they' (not sure who 'they' were) had a bunch of drops on a nearby DZ for some charity Christmas event, Operation Toy Drop I think. So I guess my point, my question, is where is the cut-off for meaningless and superfluous activities like this?

I disagree with you on the flyover. The usually have to orbit near the stadium, which is not a training event, and we fuck maintenance troops over by making them work on a day off.
The difference is special treatment based on sex. That shouldn't be allowed. How would a deliberate, explicit, and exclusionary "men only" jump have gone over? I would be equally opposed to something like that if it happened--maybe it already happens but I doubt it--because, you know, "equality."
I was in the field with SOCM last December when 'they' (not sure who 'they' were) had a bunch of drops on a nearby DZ for some charity Christmas event, Operation Toy Drop I think. So I guess my point, my question, is where is the cut-off for meaningless and superfluous activities like this?
Airborne ops are expensive and inherently dangerous. If we're already doing a jump for proficiency or training, I think in some circumstances it would be OK to rebrand the operation. "This month's mass tac proficiency jump is going to be in support of Operation Toy Drop." Something like that.

The difference is special treatment based on sex. That shouldn't be allowed. How would a deliberate, explicit, and exclusionary "men only" jump have gone over? I would be equally opposed to something like that if it happened--maybe it already happens but I doubt it--because, you know, "equality."

Airborne ops are expensive and inherently dangerous. If we're already doing a jump for proficiency or training, I think in some circumstances it would be OK to rebrand the operation. "This month's mass tac proficiency jump is going to be in support of Operation Toy Drop." Something like that.

Ah, I dunno. I just don't see any 'there' there, and I am one of the first people to jump on stuff like this. But I am OK in being wrong on this if I have blind spots.

Not to mention some flyovers are staged from bases close to the venue. Now you add the cost and time of moving maintainers and some equipment to go with the planes and aircrews.

Ah, I dunno. I just don't see any 'there' there, and I am one of the first people to jump on stuff like this. But I am OK in being wrong on this if I have blind spots.
This goes back to the discussion we (the site) have from time to time about equal rights vs. special rights. If it's wrong to restrict privileges from a specific group based on race, ethnicity, sex, religion, etc., then it is equally wrong to grant them special privileges based on those same characteristics.

"The way to stop discrimination on the basis of <anything> is to stop discriminating based on <anything>." Allowing special privileges to some groups is still discrimination.

This goes back to the discussion we (the site) have from time to time about equal rights vs. special rights. If it's wrong to restrict privileges from a specific group based on race, ethnicity, sex, religion, etc., then it is equally wrong to grant them special privileges based on those same characteristics.

"The way to stop discrimination on the basis of <anything> is to stop discriminating based on <anything>." Allowing special privileges to some groups is still discrimination.

I respect that. I just don't see it that way. What if rangers wanted to do a D-Day jump. Historically it was all men, is it discriminatory to exclude women? I don't think so. I see about a billion whataboutisms with this topic.

But if the army said, "no, that's not cool, you wanna do that go to the jump club," I would be OK with that, too.

Back