Retention and Recruitment Crisis

When my grandfather passed I found his Shell back certificate he got while en route to Africa during WW2. I sometimes try and Imagine what that ceremony was like…

My dad got it in the late 50s, I don't have the certificate but I have a wallet-sized card around somewhere.

I had the opportunity to return to active duty as part of an attempted remedy for the recruiting and retention debacle. I declined.

This is a mess of the Executive Branch and the Army's own making. They made it pretty clear that they wanted fewer soldiers like me when I was in, and I'm not coming in now to help bail them out of the situation they created .

I had the opportunity to return to active duty as part of an attempted remedy for the recruiting and retention debacle. I declined.

This is a mess of the Executive Branch and the Army's own making. They made it pretty clear that they wanted fewer soldiers like me when I was in, and I'm not coming in now to help bail them out of the situation they created .
What incentives are they offering?

I was wondering if they were offering base of choice or any other goodies.
I think the headline says it all:

Air Force’s pitch to retirees: Come back! No bonus or promotion, though​

Retired officer, enlisted can rejoin active duty amid shortfalls

^ that's just one news source and it was from a couple of months back so I don't know what's current.

So you still have to pass height/weight and the PT tests and do all of the other reindeer games, you no longer get your retirement pension, you're subject to PCS, you keep your same pay grade and no bonuses? I'm making FAR more money now than I did when I was on active duty, largely due to my pension and disability. There is very little incentive for someone like me (and I expect that I'm the norm) to take them up on the offer, especially since the same conditions that prompted many of us to leave when we did are either still in place, or weren't remedied to our satisfaction.

I think the headline says it all:

Air Force’s pitch to retirees: Come back! No bonus or promotion, though​

Retired officer, enlisted can rejoin active duty amid shortfalls

^ that's just one news source and it was from a couple of months back so I don't know what's current.

So you still have to pass height/weight and the PT tests and do all of the other reindeer games, you no longer get your retirement pension, you're subject to PCS, you keep your same pay grade and no bonuses? I'm making FAR more money now than I did when I was on active duty, largely due to my pension and disability. There is very little incentive for someone like me (and I expect that I'm the norm) to take them up on the offer, especially since the same conditions that prompted many of us to leave when we did are either still in place, or weren't remedied to our satisfaction.
Yep, wouldn't the pension restart after you retire again?

Yep, wouldn't the pension restart after you retire again?
Yes, with an additional 2.5% per year for every additional year. But in the meantime, I'm working for something like half pay (since in my case I get 67.5% of my base pay, but no BAH/BAS) and disability payments (70%, with dependents) and foregoing the pretty substantial bank I'm making through my post-retirement jobs. Plus, no reindeer games like the ACFT. And I'd still be in the same environment that drove me to leave in the first place.

Lowered standards pays off.

Works wonders, doesn't it?

--Enlistment age raised to 42.
--High school diploma no longer required.
--Score lower on the entrance exam? Anchors away!

When you water down the whiskey, you don't get more whiskey, you just get more water. Be interesting to see some of those 42-year-old seaman recruits up there at Great Lakes.

Works wonders, doesn't it?

--Enlistment age raised to 42.
--High school diploma no longer required.
--Score lower on the entrance exam? Anchors away!

When you water down the whiskey, you don't get more whiskey, you just get more water. Be interesting to see some of those 42-year-old seaman recruits up there at Great Lakes.

Works in war, we'll see how it works in peacetime. But navy boot ain't that hard, they'll do alright. I AM curious what a 42 year-old would want to do.

Or cleaning the bilges as an undesignated seaman. Some of those guys are going to get a shock when they hit the fleet,

If they're stupid enough to join undesignated contract, they deserve what they get.

Well, one thing I will NOT do is start a rumor that not too long ago a senior leader said that there was no retention or recruiting problems with SF guys right now...
...so there's that

...just a rumor
...besides, there is no problem
...all is well
...remain calm

On an unrelated note - what in the actual fuck is an undesignated seaman ??
...are you even allowed to post that kind of stuff on this website ?

Works in war, we'll see how it works in peacetime. But navy boot ain't that hard, they'll do alright. I AM curious what a 42 year-old would want to do.

If they're stupid enough to join undesignated contract, they deserve what they get.
ASVAB of 10 means you come in undesignated.

On an unrelated note - what in the actual fuck is an undesignated seaman ??
...are you even allowed to post that kind of stuff on this website ?

Not sure if you're serious or... just being Box, undesignated seaman joins under a contract with no specific NEC (i.e., MOS)/rate (job). Often assigned to ship's company as an able bodied seaman, chip paint, deck hand, etc. They then can be a 'striker', or 'strike' a rate, so see a job they like, do OJT, then go to that school and get the NEC and rate.

I can't imagine a worse fate. Imagine joining the army with no specified job or MOS.

Back