Retention and Recruitment Crisis

1) Wasn't CAP always seen as a recruitment tool in addition to (IMO) necessary function?

2) Reports are going around that SF Groups are bringing back "ghost teams" to fix manning shortfalls. This was a 90's thing to be sure. What's an SF company? 6 teams? Now you're down to 3-5 and maybe even those are partial teams?

1) I've no idea, but it should be. More than half the people I knew joined the military.

2) I certainly don't know everyone on all ODAs, but of the ones I know, none are fully manned. They have to do something to meet obligations.

RE: brevet, I was going through my dad's Marine Corps records earlier this morning, he was an "acting sergeant" for a bit in the early 60s before he was ultimately promoted. Looking at the records this was a common practice.

I know it was common in WW2. My dad was acting First Sergeant in his company when he was what they called a “buck sergeant.”

1) Wasn't CAP always seen as a recruitment tool in addition to (IMO) necessary function?

2) Reports are going around that SF Groups are bringing back "ghost teams" to fix manning shortfalls. This was a 90's thing to be sure. What's an SF company? 6 teams? Now you're down to 3-5 and maybe even those are partial teams?
I feel like CAP and other cadet orgs as well as the Boy Scouts have always been recruitment tools.

Two very different looks at recruitment and retention:

The navy will be requiring aviators to remain in service to complete sea service. Which they should. Up to now, if they are at sea when their term expires, they leave the boat. Also, so many aviators are leaving 25% of department head billets are empty. Having time as a DH is mandatory for command.

Navy will force aviators to remain in service to complete sea tours

Now, the Air Force not only meets recruitment goals, but is looking to increase by 20%. That's awesome! Toward the end of the article it states connecting with Civil Air Patrol as a means to up recruitment. I was in CAP in junior high and high school and partly through college, I loved it. We had encampments and training at Bragg, Pope, went to the fly-in at Oshkosh, I did a pararescue orientation course in West Virginia. A great resource.

Air Force meets recruitment goals, eyes 20% increase in 2025
Well, stuff like this won't help...
EXCLUSIVE: New Docs Shed Light On Air Force’s ‘Goal’ To Reduce ‘White Male Population’ Joining Officer Ranks

They can't get out of their own way.

SKREEEEEEEEEEEEE!!

SKREEEEEEEEEEEEE!!

SKREEEEEEEEEEEEE!!

...just making sure I show that I am triggered over the topic of having toooo many or toooo little of the of the "wrong" demographic defending the nation

I'd be interested in learning exactly what this training entailed. That's a very high percentage of rhadbo, especially considering these were student athletes, albeit D3.

ETA: Dumbass, nonsensical post was here

Last edited:
It was a "Navy SEAL trainee" which to me means he had zero bonafides to be instructing anything SEAL related.
I’m fascinated by the story and how it continues to change, everything I’m reading today says he was a “graduate of a Navy SEAL training program“.

What does that even mean? Is the dude in the Navy and in the SEAL program, or did he “graduate” from one of those “let me get you prepped“ programs from a former Navy SEAL?

I hope the latter is true, and that it was not an actual SEAL. The first thing I thought of as I was reading the original story, was the amount of times I’ve read about Marine’s graduating Boot Camp and then coming back to their high school to put the football team through a “Boot Camp course”.… Yeah that never ends well.

ETA- it is not lost on me that as of yet, the Navy has released no type of statement. That makes me also question whether or not the person ran the course was actually affiliated with the Navy.

I’m fascinated by the story and how it continues to change, everything I’m reading today says he was a “graduate of a Navy SEAL training program“.

What does that even mean? Is the dude in the Navy and in the SEAL program, or did he “graduate” from one of those “let me get you prepped“ programs from a former Navy SEAL?

I hope the latter is true, and that it was not an actual SEAL. The first thing I thought of as I was reading the original story, was the amount of times I’ve read about Marine’s graduating Boot Camp and then coming back to their high school to put the football team through a “Boot Camp course”.… Yeah that never ends well.

ETA- it is not lost on me that as of yet, the Navy has released no type of statement. That makes me also question whether or not the person ran the course was actually affiliated with the Navy.

To your last, I am curious if they are still trying to figure out what the hell happened, if they are circling the wagons/damage control, or entirely hands-off.

To your former, I had the same questions. The whole thing just reeks of sketch.

I think there is a period of time between when someone passes BUD/S and the time they are officially a SEAL. So this guy could be a legit BUD/S grad and not have fully earned his Trident yet.

Or yeah, he could be a complete poser.

Back