Rifle Suggestions..

Frisco

Weapons free
So I decided to buy a rifle for my 18 birthday as I have never owned one. I was looking for something bolt action, maybe in .30/.06.

But like I said I have little experience with rifles (.22 and a M1 Garand are the only ones I've ever shot..) Maybe you guys can give me an idea of something I can get used.. around 600$ if possible. or anybody who lives in Middle Tennessee can give me a good place to get one.. :) thanks for the help.

EDIT TO ADD: maybe a Remington 700?

What do you want to do with it?

I would suggest for a first rifle some form of .22. A 10-22 or Marlin Semi Auto.

Cheap practice, low recoil, ammo available anywhere.

I wanna put a scope on it and do some target shooting..:D but I want one that I can take deer hunting when fall comes around too..

I would say a Remington 700, you can get that in .270 which is good enough to shoot a deer, but is cheaper so you can target shoot. In addition a Remington is very reliable and not super expensive, I'm not sure on an exact price though.

I wanna put a scope on it and do some target shooting..:D but I want one that I can take deer hunting when fall comes around too..

In that case, go along with the same idea as Hard H2O but look for a Mini Thirty Ranch Rifle in 7.62x39, stay away from the 6.8SPC Mini-14 right now; ammo will be to expensive and hard to find for a first time buy. Excellent rifles, the round is good for deer and you can get all sorts of quality rounds for target shooting. Or if you just want to do some plinking, pick up some crates of some Mil surplus ammo. My advice is to buy used and a wood stock for your first rifle. It will take a beating and you won't feel bad about banging it up. Then later you can put down the coin for a new synthetic stock, get it cleaned up and better quality optics.

If you want a bolt action that is cheap(ish) to run and to knock deer over get a .308, 30/06 is a big round which means it's harder to shoot. Rem 700 sounds like a gre4at choice for this too. :2c:

If you want a bolt action that is cheap(ish) to run and to knock deer over get a .308, 30/06 is a big round which means it's harder to shoot....

that's what my resident gun nut friend suggested..

My grandpa told me he would sell me his SKS for a little cheaper than a 700.. 200 rounds for like 40$ any thoughts?

My grandpa told me he would sell me his SKS for a little cheaper than a 700.. 200 rounds for like 40$ any thoughts?

I hunt deer with a lever action .30-30. It has just a bit more power than the SKS. I have a scope on mine and it is a fun rifle to shoot. It is relatively light kicking and ammo isn't too expensive.

If you are new to shooting you might want to look to the .243 Winchester. Light kick and easy shooting.

Well I was actually thinking it would be nice to just take the SKS out and shoot the hell out of it.. but keep the 700 or mini-14, or m77 (ya know what ever i decided to get) put a decent scope and a bi-pod on it, and just use it to see how far I can reach out..

the only problem I have with the Rugers are that they are more expensive. . I can get a 700 for like 200-400$ less than either of the Rugers.. which would leave me a little more for mods..

But my grandpa (not a big hunter, but just all around hardass) says that the SKS wouldn't do well for hunting because the the round sprials when it enters..

For a relatively inexpensive but fairly accurate rifle do not forget the Savage.

Great suggestion, often over looked, but always a excellent buy and shooter. Savages has always made a fine firearm right out of the box.

Hard to make a suggest, I don't know anything about the original poster. Where do you live, what shooting opportunities do you have, pass experience/skill level, etc.

Firearms and cartridges can be highly defined to do a specific job very well. Sometimes they do not work well in other types of shooting.

Depending on ranges available. Some cities have only indoor ranges. 22 LR work really great, you get trigger time with out a lot of expense.

Shooting clubs, have matches and classes, I would go with their recommendations.

Probably the biggest thing, if you have not had the formal training. Take a NRA safety class and NRA shooting class.

Also, reloading to shooting is like foreplay to wild gratuitous sex.

SKS is a great little rifle, lots of cheap shooting fun, I highly reccemend it.

However it is NO good at all if you intend to shoot deer and it's not a bolt gun which is one of your requirements no?

Get the 700 in .308, shoot cheap military ammo to practice and get a 20 rd box of hunting ammo, that should be enough to get you 20 deer >:{

..get a .308, 30/06 is a big round which means it's harder to shoot.

Both use a .308 bullet. I believe the 30-06 does accommodate heavier bullets easier, 200-220 grain, if a shooter wants to go that route.

Velocity for the 30-06 seems to run 5-10% faster, some are the same velocity or within a few % of the .308.

Chad

I just did a quick search on gunbroker and found a Ruger Mini Thirty for $450. That's the rifle, mag, rings and even a cable lock. ;)

You don't have to buy a Ruger if you don't want to. But take this advice seriously, don't buy a NEW gun as your FIRST gun. You can get lots of excellent quality used guns out there. I don't know how many used guns you'll find for sale that have only had a few rounds fired through them because of new shooters not doing their research and spending their budget on a new gun. If you buy a cheap used gun for part of your budget, don't like it; keep it, put it aside and then buy something else USED. You'll eventually find something you like or may end up going back to the original gun and loving it.

But take this advice seriously, don't buy a NEW gun as your FIRST gun. You can get lots of excellent quality used guns out there. I don't know how many used guns you'll find for sale that have only had a few rounds fired through them because of new shooters not doing their research and spending their budget on a new gun. If you buy a cheap used gun for part of your budget, don't like it; keep it, put it aside and then buy something else USED. You'll eventually find something you like or may end up going back to the original gun and loving it.

Very good advice!

I've only ever purchased one new gun ever, unless it is being used in a combat/police environment there is no need to fork out money for a new one.

Good luck getting a new weapon in the military too! lol

Tikka .270!!!

I have a Tikka t3 in .270.
They are made side by side with the higher quality Sakos, and therefore, are close to the same quality (and about half the price). A new one costs about $500.

Back