SF Surgical Teams

ChaseZ33

Unverified
Hey everyone,

Was wondering if anyone could share some general information about special operations surgical teams i.e. Airforce SOST and other service equivalents. Currently a civilian Flight / Critical Care Nurse that is interested in the military either in the near future as a Nurse or farther down the road as a CRNA. Have a few prior SF friends and like the idea of directly supporting that mission.

Physical requirements?
What does the pipeline consist of?
How long do most people spend in regular FSTs before moving up to SF?

Any info would be appreciated.

We have at least one SOST member here, but he hasn't been around in awhile.

I am a CRNA and recently retired SOST and JMAU (JSOC) team member, 4 and 7 years respectively. Both teams have pipelines that constantly evolve and get harder and more selection, like if that makes sense. In SOST you can be a member as a Critical Care/ER RN but for JMAU it's CRNAs only. It is desirable to have a deployment with a "regular" unit before applying.

If you are thinking about CRNA school, do yourself a favor and consider the DOD programs. They are excellent schools and you get a paycheck while training and a DNP upon graduation.

I don't post much but I'm always happy to help anyone who is interested in a military career as a CRNA and/or SOST/JMAU. I absolutely loved my time with these units.

I am a CRNA and recently retired SOST and JMAU (JSOC) team member, 4 and 7 years respectively. Both teams have pipelines that constantly evolve and get harder and more selection, like if that makes sense. In SOST you can be a member as a Critical Care/ER RN but for JMAU it's CRNAs only. It is desirable to have a deployment with a "regular" unit before applying.

If you are thinking about CRNA school, do yourself a favor and consider the DOD programs. They are excellent schools and you get a paycheck while training and a DNP upon graduation.

I don't post much but I'm always happy to help anyone who is interested in a military career as a CRNA and/or SOST/JMAU. I absolutely loved my time with these units.
Great post! Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Mind if I send you a PM sir?

I’m new to the forums here but happy to help answer any questions that I can. Feel free to send me a pm as well.

Thank you for the posts. I may PM with specific questions later.

The Army's CRNA program is definitely a consideration.

From my understanding most of these units are inter-branch so does it necessarily matter if I go AF vs Army? If i need a deployment prior to enrolling does Army have more FST opportunities?

I totally understand putting in time and getting experience however I was curious since the SOST application talks briefly about civilian applicants.

We have taken civilians in the past. There are definitely some hurdles to overcome.

While very similar, there are some differences between the Air Force and the Army teams. One or the other may suit your desires/personality better than the other.

Thank you for the posts. I may PM with specific questions later.

The Army's CRNA program is definitely a consideration.

From my understanding most of these units are inter-branch so does it necessarily matter if I go AF vs Army? If i need a deployment prior to enrolling does Army have more FST opportunities?

I totally understand putting in time and getting experience however I was curious since the SOST application talks briefly about civilian applicants.

SPAK may have more up to date info about SOST but to my knowledge only one surgical team is inter-branch and that is the one at Bragg.

That is correct information. SOST has folks who came in from Army and Navy but it requires crossing over currently.

So if the Civilian directly to SOST option is unlikely what would my best option be for enlistment / deployment prior? CCATT? Does the AF have non-SF FSTs? All I could find was Army. The 59th MDW ECMO team interests me however that may not be relevant to SOST.

Most of the info about SOST seems to be related to the 24th at Bragg

Easiest thing to do is join and start volunteering for every deployment and training opportunity you can find. Bug your Readiness Office every week. Make sure your chain of command and your coworkers know you want to deploy, there is always someone trying to give up a slot, you will get a deployment

I would be careful signing up for specialties like CCATT or ECMO, once they get you trained they may not let you go.

It isn’t impossible but it isn’t straight forward either. If you’re really interested send me a pm and we can talk.

Having deployment history is a plus, military experience also a plus. What we’re looking for is the right fit for the teams.

Air Force and army both have surgical teams that are non SF. However, they’re mission, specific skill set and footprint are variable and somewhat different than SOST.

Current deployment opportunities in conventional AF for medical are changing and only time will tell exactly what they will look like. Just know you will need to finish your initial commitment for time on station before you can join SOST.

Doing well at selection will be the main factor.

Hello all, was going to start a new post but this one hopefully is a good fit. Currently a 46S (OR RN) with fairly extensive experience in trauma and other complex surgeries (as a scrub and circulating RN). I've heard that even though my AFSC isn't listed on the SOST application that doesn't mean that it won't be considered. Is anyone able to verify this information? I'm not bored with surgery, I'm just looking to practice in an austere environment with other highly motivated and dedicated professionals. Any and all input is greatly appreciated!

As an RN SOST is looking more for ER/critical care background. Those skill sets are essential. Would recommend trying to get some ER or ICU experience, preferably both.

Back