SF Surgical Teams

Anyone on this thread have more first-hand info on the general surgery position on an sost? Is the selection more or less competitive than other specialties within the team? Currently an undergraduate student going into medical school next year that is interested in surgery and military medicine, specifically forward surgical teams like the SOST. Any insight would be appreciated!

The selection process is the same for everyone on the team. They are looking for traits such as leadership, followership, flexibility and grit. Surgeons are always needed but they don't change the bar due to need for any specialty.

Thanks for the quick reply! Your answer was helpful. Also, this may be a silly question because I am not military. But during the ten months of training that SOST members go through, would you be separate from your family like a deployment or would you just be stationed somewhere during that 10 months?

Thanks for the quick reply! Your answer was helpful. Also, this may be a silly question because I am not military. But during the ten months of training that SOST members go through, would you be separate from your family like a deployment or would you just be stationed somewhere during that 10 months?
It's not 10 months despite what some things say on the website. It's been consolidated to about 4 months. You travel around to various bases for training during that time. There are some short gaps in that time where you can travel home and see your family. That said, the training pipeline is constantly evolving.

Very interesting topic, was not even aware there are such things that exist. Probably have to be in very good physical shape and be able to run miles at a time at an above average pace. Are there any PMHNPs that serve on these teams and what role do they serve?

Very interesting topic, was not even aware there are such things that exist. Probably have to be in very good physical shape and be able to run miles at a time at an above average pace. Are there any PMHNPs that serve on these teams and what role do they serve?

If you mean Mental Health Nurse Practitioners then no, not on any surgical team I have ever heard of. Surgical/Resuscitation teams are for...resuscitation and or surgical intervention for battlefield trauma.

Not sure if this thread is still active.
I'm an Army Reserve CRNA in an FST. Recently returned from split ops in AFG. I had a couple run ins with the JMAU SRT during high tempo trauma activations, things were so crazy when they arrived that I never really got the chance to chat with them but I was so impressed with their capabilities. I'd love the opportunity to audition for their team but I've had a difficult time nailing down communication channel to make this happen. Could anyone point me int he right direction?

I'm an Army Reserve CRNA in an FST. Recently returned from split ops in AFG. I had a couple run ins with the JMAU SRT during high tempo trauma activations, things were so crazy when they arrived that I never really got the chance to chat with them but I was so impressed with their capabilities. I'd love the opportunity to audition for their team but I've had a difficult time nailing down communication channel to make this happen. Could anyone point me int he right direction?
My understanding is that one can only tryout for SRT if they are invited

In the time I was in the only reservists we had were a few trauma surgeons. Lots of logistical issues with reservists that limit their use.

Back