Soldier helps save the life of a heart attack victim

Ravage

running up that hill
http://news.soc.mil/releases/News Archive/2009/January/090129-01.html

FORT BRAGG, N.C. (USASOC News Service, Jan. 29, 2009) – Many Soldiers attend the Combat Lifesaver’s Course throughout their career learning emergency first aid such as cardiopulmonary resuscitation, rescue breathing and how to control bleeding.

“I never thought it would be something that I would need to use,” said Spc. Kimberly Hernandez, the administration assistant for the 2nd Battalion, 1st Special Warfare Training Group (Airborne).

For Hernandez, Sunday, Jan. 25, began like any other day. She had stopped at the store to get her son some candy when her day had taken a turn.

“I had just pulled into the parking lot, when a lady starting screaming that her husband was having a heart attack, that he passed out” she recounted. “She was acting really frantic. I am sure I would have been doing the same thing. She’s yelling, screaming. Everyone is just standing there, watching.”

Hernandez then dialed 9-1-1. She relayed her location and the situation that was developing and told the operator that she has the training to help him. She then hung up.
Hernandez then got into the passenger seat of the sport utility vehicle, near the corner of Rockfish and Camden in Hope Mills, N.C.

“I opened his airway and he was unresponsive and making a gurgling sound at first,” Hernandez said. “I kept talking to him in a forceful tone, and monitoring his breathing. I know I couldn’t do chest compression because he was still in the car, it wouldn’t have helped.”

“After keeping his airway open for approximately 10 minutes, he was breathing on his own. As I was talking to him, and as I was talking to him, I would look over to the wife to explain to her what I was doing. Eventually he started responding by moaning and that is when the paramedics arrived.”

“She moved to the back seat and held the patient’s head as our crews administered oxygen, eventually bringing him back around,” said Charles Hodges, the Hope Mills Fire Chief.

“Had she not stopped and rendered service, there could have been a different outcome; her actions definitely benefitted the patient,” he added.

Hernandez called the paramedics later that day to ensure the man was doing fine.
For those who work with Hernandez, this was not a surprise.

“This doesn’t surprise me at all,” said Staff Sgt. Eric Tyler, the administration noncommissioned officer in charge of 2nd Bn., 1st SWTG(A). “She is an all around Soldier in her abilities and always puts forth her best effort. She will make a great NCO!”

The mother of three summed up her trip to the store by saying,

“I didn’t have time to think about it. I knew someone was in trouble and I knew I was the only one around to help – it was my duty as a Soldier to help.”

ve17rp.jpg

Spc. Kimberly Hernandez (USASOC Photo)

Wonderful job Spc Hernandez !!!

Thank you for your service above and beyond in this matter.

You make us proud. :cool:

Yeah RB, she's kind of a cutie, yes I caught that. :D

Back