Some fast rope pics of ladders

yeah, there are some ropes ive done that I swear the rope was just a formality, we were so close to the ground. Also, I have never done a long rope before, I think my highest was probably 45 feet or so, but some guys have done some 90 footers. Can't imagine how a guys hands would feel after that, even with roping gloves on.

Roped 70 Feet onto a roof top. Halfway down my hands were screaming to let go. Way over rated and unnecessary unless there is a need for the bird to avoid power lines, trees, buildings, etc.

SBG sends.

Yeah, powerlines or going through a damn triple canopy forest are the only reason I can think of. At that height, it would almost make more sense to just rapell, but thats not exactly condusive to landing on the x, which is the main reason you would use a rope insertion.

Fast roping through triple canopy turns into fast falling rather quickly. I would rather rappel into canopy and would almost always rather land on the X than fast rope given the ability. Fast roping loses its attraction pretty quickly, or at least it did for me. FTR, 90' ropes suck ass.

The whole name of the game is get everyone out of the bird and on the deck as quick as possible and get the bird of of there. So Fast roping from 8ft is almost always impractical. It would be quicker to touch land and everyone jump out. The only time this would need to be used would be on a very rocky/bouldery surface. Even on steep surfaces a CH-46 can do a Main gear land, where they just touch the back ramp and tires down and have the nose still up in the air.
Then rappelling takes so dang long. Even with experienced guys and HRST master it is way more practical to use another method if available.

The whole name of the game is get everyone out of the bird and on the deck as quick as possible and get the bird of of there. So Fast roping from 8ft is almost always impractical. It would be quicker to touch land and everyone jump out. The only time this would need to be used would be on a very rocky/bouldery surface. Even on steep surfaces a CH-46 can do a Main gear land, where they just touch the back ramp and tires down and have the nose still up in the air.
Then rappelling takes so dang long. Even with experienced guys and HRST master it is way more practical to use another method if available.

Don't take this the wrong way, I'm not trying to bash you in any way.
Are your comments based on real world mission experience, or what you have been told/ seen in training?

I can tell you many situations where a 10-15 rope got the job done more effectively then a 45'er.

SBG sends.

Real world experience. Yes sometimes lower is better. Just if your practicing to fast rope you might as well actually practice fast roping. 8 feet there is barely any rope. I mean I guess if you are practicing for a specific mission landing then that makes sense.

The only experience I have is on a FRI tower hanging upside down like a monkey on a tree limb, with some dick yelling at me and twice out of a UH60. One was Hollywood and the other the butt of my M4 about knocked me out (caught me in the back of the head). I decided that I did not like fast roping very quick, especially when a bunch of gaurd soldiers are running the show.8-)

Real world experience. Yes sometimes lower is better. Just if your practicing to fast rope you might as well actually practice fast roping. 8 feet there is barely any rope. I mean I guess if you are practicing for a specific mission landing then that makes sense.
Fast roping that sort of distance is mostly for rooftops. Yes in an open field touching down is faster and that's what is done real world. Elevators are for training. If you can fast rope 15 ft, you can rope 60. This also helps prevent people from getting hurt.

The only experience I have is on a FRI tower hanging upside down like a monkey on a tree limb, with some dick yelling at me and twice out of a UH60. One was Hollywood and the other the butt of my M4 about knocked me out (caught me in the back of the head). I decided that I did not like fast roping very quick, especially when a bunch of gaurd soldiers are running the show.8-)
Haha yup. Going out of the hell hole with full gear and rifle can get real interesting. I've seen a couple SAW gunners get jammed in there, barrel on one side and buttstock on the other.

Going out of the hell hole with full gear and rifle can get real interesting. .
Working that issue currently. LOVE those 53's though pause not.

I have done my fair share of 90 footers and I have had enough, thank you. I prefer low as practical for real world, low as allowable for training- 30 foot is usually the standard, but every once in a while someone wants to see if gravity still works from 90 feet. It always does.

I'm a FRIES Master, and I would err on the side of low vs. high just about every day of the week, but there most certainly are situtations we could "what if" to go both directions.

Seriously, for fastrope training? the sequence of things doesn't change so it doesn't matter if it's 5 feet or 50 feet. time calls, toss the rope, check your checks, let people go. Shit's the same. only difference being if an error is made and someone fraps in, it's shorter so you're falling slower when you hit.

And real world? While pilots say they can do johnny highspeed maneuvers, unless the mission dictates the absolute necessity of doing main gear or single gear/skid landings.... keep the safety factor. 10 feet more clearance can make the difference of that rug on the roof flapping around....or flying off to meet a tail rotor. Let alone clearances for the airframe against hard objects.

What is the goal, teaching FAST Roping, or qualifying someone as a FRIES Master; if the latter, then 8ft=80ft as the result is the same for the students.

I'd have to disagree that 8 ft is the same as 80 ft. Especially depending on the platform. Learning to deal with the heights, the length of the slide and rotor wash are all things that during training would be valuable to practice and you can't get at 8 ft. Rotor wash especially on the MV-22 is just outrageous. There's a whole different scheme of manuvers when going down on that platform.

I'd have to disagree that 8 ft is the same as 80 ft. Especially depending on the platform. Learning to deal with the heights, the length of the slide and rotor wash are all things that during training would be valuable to practice and you can't get at 8 ft. Rotor wash especially on the MV-22 is just outrageous. There's a whole different scheme of manuvers when going down on that platform.
Not if your staying on the platform and just learning how to put people out, or just chucking people out for currency.

you can't get at 8 ft. Rotor wash especially on the MV-22 is just outrageous..

First off I cant believe fastroping from a CV22 was even mentioned... The idea is ridiculous to begin with.

The approach of that aircraft onto target is so slow any bad guys in the area will have enough time to book an exfil flight on expedia before you get over target not to mention it being a huge target for SAF/SAM due to its inability to maneuver quickly on approach/in hover. Additionally, the rotorwash created makes the use of the CV22 impractical and foolhardy for FR insertion or recovery/rescue over water unless drowning the victim is part of the recovery plan.

MOO after some 20 ropes from one is that the only people who should FR from that hunk-o-shit should be the generals whose pockets were lined when it went into production.

Fast roping from a CV22 is ridiculous to begin with. The approach of that aircraft onto target is so slow any bad guys in the area will have enough time to book an exfil flight on expedia before you get over target. Furthermore, the rotorwash makes it impractical and foolhardy to use for FR insertion.

The only people who should FR from that hunk-o-shit should be the generals pockets that were lined when it went into production.
How do you really feel about it?! Haha.

I completely agree though. We used them in a raid one time, and needless to say it wasn't nearly as successful as it could have been...

ETA: We didn't fast rope out of them, we landed and ran out. Either way, approach time was way too slow and the HVT that we were after got away during our approach.

Fast roping from a CV22 is ridiculous to begin with. The approach of that aircraft onto target is so slow any bad guys in the area will have enough time to book an exfil flight on expedia before you get over target. Furthermore, the rotorwash makes it impractical and foolhardy to use for FR insertion.

The only people who should FR from that hunk-o-shit should be the generals pockets that were lined when it went into production.
AMEN to that. F that platform.

Baghdad+Calm+After+Volatile+Fighting+Sadr+gwuRSWWrtmYl.jpg

Just about every house on here calls for a Fast Rope infil if we had to get men on the ground. The HAF work horse for Rangers in Iraq was the 60, not the 47 and not often we'd get little birds to ride on. The rope wouldn't be more than 8 feet long in just about every building in that picture.

Back