Some fast rope pics of ladders

These photos were taking from my headcam video so the resolution really suffered. But just that angle on the rope is crazy, and this is with 2 guys laying on the rope attempting to keep it straight.
fast_zpsf1080f3e.jpg

A team in my company did FRIES out of a CV-22 at Eglin, cool pics not the coolest stories.

That dude is roping with Oakley assault gloves.

Legit.
I remember doing elevators and I was standing in line to get on the Bird. We'd been there for a second and the bird was whining up. At some point I felt naked and realized my gloves were still sitting on my kit a good bit away. I hesitated seriously contemplating getting on without them rather than get the wrath from whoever for delaying the elevators or missing it all together. I was just thinking, "Fuck it I'll make sure to bite down real hard with my feet, it's only 15ft and it's without kit." I finally thought better and ran to get my gloves and made it with time to spare. Nobody said anything to me. I'm not sure how fucked up my hands would have been.

Pretty fucked up. There was a brand new RTO from B co (i think) who got on the bird and was actually in the air before he realized he didn't have any gloves. He said 'fuck it' and went down. By the time he reached the bottom he no longer had skin on his palms. seriously. I think they were doing an actual training mission though, it wasn't just elevators if I remember correctly. There was also a friend of mine on my first deployment who did a 70 ft. rope on target, and only had his shooting gloves on, not anticipating such a long rope. His hands were pretty fucked up.

This has turned out to be a hugely informative thread. I'll never fast rope onto/out of anything, but the information is very interesting, none the less.

Pretty fucked up. There was a brand new RTO from B co (i think) who got on the bird and was actually in the air before he realized he didn't have any gloves. He said 'fuck it' and went down. By the time he reached the bottom he no longer had skin on his palms. seriously. I think they were doing an actual training mission though, it wasn't just elevators if I remember correctly. There was also a friend of mine on my first deployment who did a 70 ft. rope on target, and only had his shooting gloves on, not anticipating such a long rope. His hands were pretty fucked up.
We had a guy do something very similar. Had to go out with the first bird leaving the X.

We had a guy do something very similar. Had to go out with the first bird leaving the X.

For a unit executing serious training for a real world rope and/or training/qualifying a FRM, this 8ft practice/cert FR is BS - IMHO.

"Our" standard is/was 15-20ft hollywood, then 30-40ft kit/weapon, then 60-80ft kit/weapon/ruck/breaching tools. No ifs, ands, or buts.....backward planning sequence equals time for rehearsals and rehearsals save lives, hands, blisters, broken ankles, etc.

I've read this thread with interest and held the tongue, but a past experience negated all cutting corners in '02.

Comalapa, El Salvador, '02 I watched a SEAL Asslt Force Cmdr burn in from '90ft and DIE. Asslt force practice FR went straight to 90ft, no elevators, no bird circling the FRS to practice time warnings or crew chief hand and arm signals ~ straight to 90ft with all kit to include breaching tools.

Asslt Force Cmdr was the 1st roper out of the bird, sitting in the door with a 120 in his lap. FRM gave throw rope, crew chief thought the FRM said cut rope (because they had not practiced). Cmdr reached for the rope at the exact moment the crew chief released the rope from the MH60 = 90ft freefall.

Practice like you're doing it for fucking real or you're wasting your time and putting your troops lives in danger. The aircrew will be as lazy as you are if you let them. Own that LZ and train for real. 8ft is not normally realistic, but if all you ever train FR at is 8ft, then what happens when you hit a 60ft'er or a 90ft'er? Shit changes drastically on an OBJ instantaneously.

2c

For a unit executing serious training for a real world rope and/or training/qualifying a FRM, this 8ft practice/cert FR is BS - IMHO.

"Our" standard is/was 15-20ft hollywood, then 30-40ft kit/weapon, then 60-80ft kit/weapon/ruck/breaching tools. No ifs, ands, or buts.....backward planning sequence equals time for rehearsals and rehearsals save lives, hands, blisters, broken ankles, etc.

I've read this thread with interest and held the tongue, but a past experience negated all cutting corners in '02.

Comalapa, El Salvador, '02 I watched a SEAL Asslt Force Cmdr burn in from '90ft and DIE. Asslt force practice FR went straight to 90ft, no elevators, no bird circling the FRS to practice time warnings or crew chief hand and arm signals ~ straight to 90ft with all kit to include breaching tools.

Asslt Force Cmdr was the 1st roper out of the bird, sitting in the door with a 120 in his lap. FRM gave throw rope, crew chief thought the FRM said cut rope (because they had not practiced). Cmdr reached for the rope at the exact moment the crew chief released the rope from the MH60 = 90ft freefall.

Practice like you're doing it for fucking real or you're wasting your time and putting your troops lives in danger. The aircrew will be as lazy as you are if you let them. Own that LZ and train for real. 8ft is not normally realistic, but if all you ever train FR at is 8ft, then what happens when you hit a 60ft'er or a 90ft'er? Shit changes drastically on an OBJ instantaneously.

2c

I'm confused. You're argument with your example of a SEAL dying basically reinforces doing elevators at 8 ft(usually 15-20ft). I still think if you can do 20ft you can do 60ft and injuring just gets extrapolated at 60ft. I mean by your words we should be doing mass tac jumps at 600-800ft too. I think what should have been taken away from that incident is you don't do rehearsals at a ridiculous height. It's also redundant and time consuming with limited assets(helicopters). The process of the FRM are the same whether you're at 20ft or 60ft. If you're really concerned about guys fucking up on a 60ft, you can go to the tower. Typical FR cert is tower then elevators then you go real-world over at Bragg or whatever. I'll concede making sure to do elevators with all your equipment is important. I've never done a 90ft'er personally, but I'm pretty sure nothing would change other than needing thicker gloves. Guys not having the right gloves on a real-world mission is an issue.

RIP Cmdr Oswald - http://www.seattlepi.com/news/article/For-Navy-SEAL-who-died-in-El-Salvador-family-1095007.php

That's a shitty story man.. I do agree that training should start at a lower height and move its way up gradually so guys can begin to see differences from 20 feet to 40 feet, and so on, and make the necessary adjustments. Going from 20 feet to 90 feet with no training in between just might be one of the dumbest and most dangerous thing I've ever heard.

"Our" standard is/was 15-20ft hollywood, then 30-40ft kit/weapon, then 60-80ft kit/weapon/ruck/breaching tools"

Wouldn't it make sense if it was 15-20 full kit, then 30-40 full kit, then 60-70 hollywood followed by full kit, then a full kit at 90 ft.

Hell.. what's the point of a 90 ft fast rope. What situation calls for it? Wasn't Mogadishu like 60-70?

I've never done a 90 foot rope, nor could I imagine doing one with a ruck sack. I would throw my ruck sack out the helo before I roped with it to be honest. I don't believe in incredibly dangerous training for that 1 in 200,000 chance we'd do it. Which in my eyes : a 90 foot fast rope with full gear and ruck is exactly that.

Back