Sua Sponte by dick couch

JohnnyBoyUSMC

Click, click, boom.
Verified Military
Did and search and didn't find anything on here about this forthcoming book, and thought I'd make it know to the community. Given the title, mr. Couch's previous work, and his established way of writing about the training/A&S of SOF unit's, I'm willing to wager this one is similar to all those regards except about the 75th. Not much info I could find except title and release date, link posted below:

http://www.amazon.com/Sua-Sponte-Fo...7589/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326772702&sr=8-1

I heard about this book, it comes out the day after I ship:( so no reading it on the plane/bus to Sand Hill but looks like a it will be a good read.

Interesting, no one has ever really written about RIP/RASP before, most people just jump straight to Ranger School (probably why so many people think you have to go to Ranger School to get into the 75th). One thing about the current RASP program, every class is different. People who G2 the course either through reading books, talking to recycles coming into their class, or talking to recent grads, will be in for a rude awakening. My younger brother who is in RASP right now found that out first hand. Some classes have as high as a 5o% grad rate, some as low as 10% (not including pre-rasp attrition). I'm sure the book will give an insightful look into the program, but may already be outdated before the first book hits the shelves. Of course there are constants that never change (Ranger standards, going to cole range, etc)

Yea, well the same can be said about dick couch's "chosen soldier". While a outstanding read and insightful, it's changed since the writing, including the length of A&S.

Agreed. Tried finding a bit more info on it out of curiosity but aside from personal experiences (which are still informative and interesting to read), not a lot of info on RASP. For good reason I'm sure and I don't blame the regiment in any way wanting to keep info about the course hush hush to not let anyone have a advantage when going through it, but like you said goon it's changed up often.

I think this is about as comprehensive as it gets, I'm sure the Couch book will expound on this:

Ranger Assessment and Selection Program Overview

The 75th Ranger Regiment is a direct-action special operations raid force that conducts forcible entry operations and special operations raids across the entire spectrum of combat. The Regiment is capable of planning and executing complex worldwide operations in high-risk, uncertain, and politically sensitive areas. It is constantly transforming to meet future operational requirements without sacrificing mission success.
The Regiment’s four battalions geographically located throughout the U.S., can deploy anywhere in the world for no-notice missions. Their capabilities include direct action raids in limited visibility, adverse weather, varied terrain and complex operating environments to capture or kill designated targets and/or seize terrain and strategic installations. Capable of infiltrating by land, sea or air, the 75th Ranger Regiment is trained on a wide variety of mobility platforms and operates fully integrated with supporting agencies and other Special Operations Forces as required.
The unit has an intensive regimental assessment and selection process where only the most exceptional officers, non-commissioned officers, and Soldiers are selected to serve. From the arduous training to the continuous and demanding worldwide deployments, the Rangers of the 75th Ranger Regiment continue to demonstrate their motto, “Rangers Lead the Way.”
In January 2010, RASP replaced the old RIP (Ranger Indoctrination Program). This selection process is necessary for all soldiers who wish to serve in a Ranger battalion. Where RIP was four weeks, RASP is now eight weeks long. Lower enlisted soldier will attend RASP 1 whereas higher enlisted and officers will attend RASP 2. The training is just as difficult and has been extended so instructors have more evaluation time for soldiers wishing to become Army Rangers. The graduation rate for the course remains low at 10-30% of the initial class.

As with RIP, graduates of RASP will be awarded the Ranger scroll (black and red) along with the Khaki Beret.

The 75th Ranger Regiment seeks highly motivated, physically fit and intelligent Soldiers to serve within its ranks. Successful Ranger candidates are self-starters who possess the dedication to be a member of the nation’s premiere special operations raid force.

After completion of Basic Training and Advanced Individual Training, new recruits will move on to three weeks of Airborne School at Fort Benning, Ga, learning how to safely conduct Static Line Airborne Operations. Immediately following Airborne School volunteers will move to the Ranger Assessment and Selection facility, where they will be in Pre-RASP until starting RASP.
RASP is broken down into two levels of training: RASP 1 for Junior Non-Commissioned Officers and Enlisted Soldiers (pay grades E-1 through E-5) and RASP 2 for Senior Non-Commissioned Officers, Officers and Warrant Officers. Candidates will train on physical fitness, marksmanship, small unit tactics, medical proficiency and mobility. Training is fast-paced and intense, ensuring Ranger candidates are prepared to employ their skills in both continued training and worldwide operations upon reaching their assigned Ranger unit. Throughout the course all candidates will be screened to ensure that only the best Soldiers are chosen for service in the Ranger Regiment.

RASP 1 is an 8 week selection course that is broken down into Phase 1, which is three weeks long; and Phase 2, which is five weeks long. Ranger candidates will learn the basics of what it takes to become a member of an elite fighting force. Candidates are tested on their mental and physical capabilities, while learning the advanced skills all Rangers are required to know to start their career with the 75th Ranger Regiment.

RASP 2 is a 21-day selection course for Senior Non-Commissioned Officers in the rank of Staff-Sergeant and above, all Officers and Warrant Officers. Candidates are tested on their physical and mental capabilities while learning the special tactics, techniques and procedures that set the Regiment apart, and learning the expectations of leading and developing young Rangers to be the Regimental leadership of tomorrow.
Upon successful completion of RASP, candidates will don the khaki beret and 75th Ranger Regiment Scroll, knowing that they are a U.S. Army Ranger, and a member of one of the finest and most distinguished Army units in the world.

RASP 1 Phase 1: Weeks 1-3 Graded Events

Army Physical Fitness Test:

• To begin RASP 1, Phase I a minimum score of 60% in your age
group
• To continue on to RASP 1, Phase II, a minimum score of 70% in
your age group
• 12 mile forced march in 3hrs with a 45 lb rucksack
• 5 mile run in 40 minutes or less

Attain 80% on the following tests:

• Ranger First Responder Test & Trauma Lanes
• Ranger Standards Test
• Ranger History Test
• Combat Navigation (Day & Night)

Pass the following:

• Peer Evaluations/RASP Selection Board
• Psychological Screening

RASP 1 Phase 2: Weeks 4-8 Advanced Ranger Skills Training

Army Physical Fitness Test:

• To pass RASP 1, Phase 2 a minimum score of 80% of your age
group
• Combat Driver’s Course
• Hand-to-hand Fighting & Combatives Certification
• Ranger Advanced Tactical Marksmanship Training
• Combat Explosives and Breeching Course
• FRIES Training – Fast Roping & Combat Extraction

RASP 2 MAJOR EVENTS

Week 1
• APFT, a minimum score of 80% in your age group required to continue
• 5-mile run, a time of 40 minutes or less is required to continue
• 12 mile ruck march, within 3 hours
• History and Standards Written tests, must score 80% or more

Week 2
• M9 Qualification
• CQM Tables
• Airborne Operation
• FTX, 24-36 hours

Week 3
• Psychological Assessment
• RASP Board

I think this is about as comprehensive as it gets, I'm sure the Couch book will expound on this: RASP 1 is an 8 week selection course that is broken down into Phase 1, which is three weeks long; and Phase 2, which is five weeks long.

Is this part of the continuous evolution of RASP you were speaking of? As it was my understanding the split between phases was 4 weeks each. I have no interest in G2'ing the course I'm just interested in the rationale because it seems like their will be more time spent on the core skills of Regiment making for even more competent graduates.

I mean.. even before RASP, when a Ranger graduated RIP, his first month in Regiment is nothing but in-house training of all of the following listed above. Now they just consolidate it into a class structure.

It's actually good, because a lot of people used to get to Batt, unable to learn some of the necessary skills. This weeds them out earlier, rather than dealing with the headache of dealing with them until they get RFS'd down the line.

Yes, it was changed from 4x4 to 3x5. Pre RASP is supposed to be 3-4 weeks as well, but can be curtailed to fill a RASP class starting that has slots open.

Again, the above is a general outline, and is not all inclusive.

One of the best things about this is because of the fact that all MOS's attend RASP, Regiment will probably have some of the most squared away support guys in the Military. Imagine being a 42A straight out of AIT getting explosive breacher, SOCP, RFR/TCCC, advanced marskmanship, FRIES, etc. Pretty damn cool.

Of the guys going out on target, 11-series have the shortest pipeline, 13F and 25C/U's have additional training they have to do after graduation of RASP (2-4 weeks long) before they go to batt., and 68W's have the longest pipeline, having to go on to 4 months of pre-socm and 9 months of socm. Many of those guys knock out EFMB in the process as well. And of course some guys go straight to SURT and RS, based on rank, performance, and displayed leadership potential.

Changes are still on going, but really who cares, just show up in the best shape of your life, give 110% on all events, and don't quit. Thats probably 70% of it right there.

That's my mindset sorry if seems like I'm focusing on small details I just like reading all things SOF,Regiment especially, call it a hobby/possibly bordering on obsession haha.

PT preperation for RASP, admin (getting real CAC cards, etc.), participating in RASP 2 training events, training for RASP (land nav classes, knots classes, etc), getting packing list squared away, things like that. Not a formal course, but more structured than what RIP Hold was (doing details all day)

It deff sounds like a excellent prep! I'm sure the land nav classes and knot classes before hand are helpful before actually going into RASP.

Back