Super Sweet Movie Discussion Thread

Agree, really good movie, very enjoyable....

My only real contentions are:

- second movie made Stilgar a weak character
- the ability to destroy the spice was not by atomics, and the relationship of the worms and the spice was one of the huge points in the book
- the split of north and south of the fremen was not a thing, and saw no real reason to have that spelled out.
- the spacing guild was not even mentioned in the 2nd movie...and they were a huge part of the ending and forcing the emperor and the other great houses bow to Pauls control of Arakis.
- no real mention of how Paul was now this all powerful being over the reverend mothers...

Some other minor things, that really don't matter.

The Stilgar memes are pretty funny.

This really incorporates much more of Dune Messiah.
Read Dune Messiah over the Summer, definitely a lot of the themes from that are present. But when you compare Dune to Messiah. Almost the entirety of Dune Messiah is court intrigue and politics. Whereas in Dune there is a lot of fighting by comparison. But's it's also twice the length of Messiah. Need to read Children of Dune.

Agree, really good movie, very enjoyable....

My only real contentions are:

- second movie made Stilgar a weak character
- the ability to destroy the spice was not by atomics, and the relationship of the worms and the spice was one of the huge points in the book
- the split of north and south of the fremen was not a thing, and saw no real reason to have that spelled out.
- the spacing guild was not even mentioned in the 2nd movie...and they were a huge part of the ending and forcing the emperor and the other great houses bow to Pauls control of Arakis.
- no real mention of how Paul was now this all powerful being over the reverend mothers...

Some other minor things, that really don't matter.

Stilgar's lack of development was incredibly strange. We're talking about Paul's Chief of Staff who ends up running the whole war. Whose also an incredible skeptic and used to judge people was weird. Like Margot Fenring got way more development in her 10 minutes. But I'm pissed off that it was Lea Seydoux that did that, like keep my Bond Girl out of that!

There are purists out there who think there's one Bind, but I'm with you. I think the last movie even mentions assigning "double-oh" numbers that were...suddenly available.

I don't know if that was Fleming's intent or not with his series, but the movies are such a force of nature they are more canon than the books.

If they announced Idris Elba as the new Bond I wouldn't flinch. I would, not that it matters, refuse to see "Bond, Jane Bond" if that's where they take his identity. In our "all or nothing" belief system these days I guess that make me a hypocrite?

My biggest problem with Idris is that he's English. Same issue I had with Craig, who is Welsh and English, but at least he's Northern. Brosnan? Irish. Dalton? Welsh, but North Walian. Moore? English.

James Bond as a character is Scottish. Hence why Connery was cast.

Want to go Identity politic and cast a black man? Ok, but he needs to be Scottish. Mizero Ncuti Gatwa is just that man!

Last edited:
Saw Dune: Part Two. Overall very enjoyable. Visually a treat again. I liked the pacing more than in the first one, though felt that the ending in particular was rushed and the weakest part. They took quite some liberty here and there with a few major themes of the series, which left me a bit unsatisfied. Sometimes lacking, other times layed on too thick. A good chunk was also missing, which created plot holes. The movie completely forgot about the Navigators / Spacing Guild and their influence. Personally, I really like the power dynamics in that universe and hoped to see more of that, not just Bene Gesserit meddling. Shame. Not entirely sure how I feel about Villeneuve's Paul but like I said, I'm okay with a different take and seperation of movie from book. Ultimately, did enjoy it.

Last edited:
Saw Dune: Part Two. Overall very enjoyable. Visually a treat again. I liked the pacing more than in the first one, though felt that the ending in particular was rushed and the weakest part. They took quite some liberty here and there with a few major themes of the series, which left me a bit unsatisfied. Sometimes lacking, other times layed on too thick. A good chunk was also missing, which created plot holes. The movie completely forgot about the Navigators / Spacing Guild and their influence. Personally, I really like the power dynamics in that universe and hoped to see more of that, not just Bene Gesserit meddling. Shame. Not entirely sure how I feel about Villeneuve's Paul but like I said, I'm okay with a different take and seperation of movie from book. Ultimately, did enjoy it.

So if Villeneuve somehow decided to continue with the space opera, how does it even work as there's no mention of the Spacing guild. Because without the Guild there's effectively no reason for the plot to assassinate him. Well they'd have to come up with a different reason. Because otherwise we're treating spice like legal blue magic.

Land of Bad (trailer).

It looks like a mash up of a couple different moves I have seen but of which I can't recall the names.

I watched it earlier this week and enjoyed it. I swear I did a recap but I can't find anything amongst you Dune nerds making out in Public .... :ROFLMAO:

O_o

Last edited:

I watched Red Right Hand. I enjoyed it because it was about paybck.

The Beekeeper was epic!! It was typical Jason Statham...he wrecks everything for the price of friendship.

Also I read somewhere the new Road House might be delayed. I'm looking forward to that movie. Word on the street they just let Connor act normal for 2 hours. Has to be CHAOS and I'm in!!!!! :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
So after seeing all the "Verhoeven was making a satire film when he made Starship Troopers" takes on twitter. I have to say, what an incredible miss by doing that. I wonder if anyone thought about making a serious version ? As a fan of the book I would find it pretty interesting to make a reason one.

So after seeing all the "Verhoeven was making a satire film when he made Starship Troopers" takes on twitter. I have to say, what an incredible miss by doing that. I wonder if anyone thought about making a serious version ? As a fan of the book I would find it pretty interesting to make a reason one.

The book is great. I like a lot Robert Heinlein's work.

The movie is also a wonderful classic that needs zero changes. It's great in large part to the fact that it isn't the same as the book. Cult classic.

Movies will never match the books they are based upon. Look at Dune, Bourne Trilogy, any Jack Ryan film/show, etc.

I don't pay attention to Twitter X, so why is this a topic all of a sudden?

I don't pay attention to Twitter X, so why is this a topic all of a sudden?
A game came out recently (Helldivers 2) that has a tone similar to that of the movie and has people talking about the movie recently. The movie has (somehow) been flying over people's heads since it first came out, so my guess would be more people have watched it for the first time recently and caused that to become a topic again.

Also I read somewhere the new Road House might be delayed. I'm looking forward to that movie.

It was a classic that doesn't need to be redone. This is as much of a retelling as I'm willing to accept šŸ˜:

I generally loathe remakes, especially classics. But actually, the new Roadhouse previews look interesting.

Back