Super Sweet Movie Discussion Thread

I saw Get Out and Guardians of The Galaxy 2. Get Out was amazing, Guardians was decent.

To the divers on the board -

Best guess...based only on what you see in the video, how long would these girls last at 47 meters? And even on the way up, wouldn't they need at least a couple of decompression stops along the way?

I like a good suspenseful movie, but give me at least a little realism that makes me believe you made a half-ass-effort to research the basics and make a better movie.

47 feet is not super deep but they wouldn't last long in a panic. How long your air lasts depends on how rapid and deep you breath. Also a safety stop is always recommended but if you ascend from only 47 feet slow enough you could be ok. One thing I have always noticed about SCUBA in movies is that they make it look easy and don't pay attention to the details.

Btw, I am PADI rescue diver certified
and have a few dives under my weight belt.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Best guess...based only on what you see in the video, how long would these girls last at 47 meters? And even on the way up, wouldn't they need at least a couple of decompression stops along the way?

I like a good suspenseful movie, but give me at least a little realism that makes me believe you made a half-ass-effort to research the basics and make a better movie.

If they were at 47 meters they would definitely need a deco and the air would have been gone in minutes! I just caught the title..my bad. Yeah...that's ridiculous.

Last edited:

I can imagine the producers pitching this movie-
"Ok remember 'the Shallows'?"
"Yeah"
"Well... what if we added a hot chick and-"
"So there's TWO hot chicks?"
"Yes. And we put the whole thing under water this tim-"
"SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!"

47 meters is a deep dive. That's 154 feet. Did you see how fast that cage fell? I bet they could not equalize as fast as that cage fell...I would have wanted to die from the squeeze and burst eardrums.

But I am a sucker for shark movies, so I'll see it.....

Not to mention they'd probably be suffering from narcosis. I doubt they were breathing any mixed gases so they should have just reduced the depth to make it more believable.

I can imagine the producers pitching this movie-
"Ok remember 'the Shallows'?"
"Yeah"
"Well... what if we added a hot chick and-"
"So there's TWO hot chicks?"
"Yes. And we put the whole thing under water this tim-"
"SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!"

There's an Onion headline I remember liking that goes something like 'Movie exec has great idea for movie's budget.'

Not to mention they'd probably be suffering from narcosis. I doubt they were breathing any mixed gases so they should have just reduced the depth to make it more believable.
I found it comical that one chick said she didn't even know how to dive. You don't dive 47 meters unless you know how to dive. 40 meters is where certifying agencies draw the line unless you train as a tech diver.

Well in defense, they hadn't planned on going that deep....until that wacky cable broke and sent them plummeting to the dark!
Valid point. I just find it silly that she would or was allowed to do the dive without the training. So much shit can go wrong on any given dive and if you don't know what to do...lights out.

<hmmm, he thinks to himself. there has been more discussion about this stupid movie than any other movie in this thread. Can he get another half page out of this?>

Valid point. I just find it silly that she would or was allowed to do the dive without the training.
Considering this was Mexico, I have to guess that things are not quite as regulated as they might be in Miami. To add....how fucking stupid are these girls? Met the guys the night before and then get on a boat and cruise out to shark-infested waters, and by themselves, get lowered in the cage? Private don't think so, sir.

I was also curious about the communication device they were using to talk to the surface. My favorite line, "we are going to send more oxygen tanks to you!" How the hell do you plan to do that? And what do you expect these novice (if that) girls to do when the equipment when it gets to them? LOL

Well in defense, they hadn't planned on going that deep....until that wacky cable broke and sent them plummeting to the dark!
<hmmm, he thinks to himself. there has been more discussion about this stupid movie than any other movie in this thread. Can he get another half page out of this?>

Considering this was Mexico, I have to guess that things are not quite as regulated as they might be in Miami. To add....how fucking stupid are these girls? Met the guys the night before and then get on a boat and cruise out to shark-infested waters, and by themselves, get lowered in the cage? Private don't think so, sir.

I was also curious about the communication device they were using to talk to the surface. My favorite line, "we are going to send more oxygen tanks to you!" How the hell do you plan to do that? And what do you expect these novice (if that) girls to do when the equipment when it gets to them? LOL
Yes, diving without training is a recipe for disaster. I should have paid more attention to the video but the nonsense caused me to drift early.:rolleyes:

Back