Super Sweet Movie Discussion Thread

Top Gun 2...I read somewhere that Maverick will be a senior officer out to prove that pilots are still necessary in a future drone military. I hope it gets the green light. I was one of those geeks that ran out and joined the military after watching Top Gun

I was one of those geeks that ran out and joined the military after watching Top Gun

I was one of those geeks who signed up for all of the advanced high school math and science classes after watching Top Gun. No question, I was going to be a pilot Naval Aviator. One week into my senior year I was so fucking lost I had to see my guidance counselor and get myself back into regular classes. He told me he hated that movie because I was the 3rd student he'd seen that week about the very same thing.

That looks good. I am a big fan of Mark Strong

I've liked Mark Strong, and the camera seems to like him. British trained and the first role I saw him in was "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy". Since then if he is in the cast, I'll watch the film just because he is in the cast.

I've like Mark Strong, and the camera seems to like him. British trained and the first role I saw him in was "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy". Since then if he is in the cast, I'll watch the film just because he is in the cast.

He was terrific as the Jordanian intelligence chief in Body of Lies. If you haven't seen that movie, J, it's worth a look. That was the first time I saw him on screen and he was very impressive.

I read somewhere that if Maverick were still in the Navy today he'd be an admiral and probably retired by a few years...

Well, he'd definitely have 30+ years in. LOL.

The idea that there is going to be a sequel to this movie is just stupid. Were there really people looking for a sequel? And have you seen Kelly McGillis lately?! Ish. Hollywood is truly out of ideas.

The sad thing is that there are plenty of amazing stories on a ton of topics that still haven't been told. Why not tap into some of those if they can't come up with something creative on their own?!

The first thing my wife said when she learned of part 2 coming was that she hoped Kelly McGillis wouldn't be in it. She never liked her in the first one!

Re: Top Gun 2

Here is the alleged script synopsis that is being floated around the internet as real. Assuming it is, I might go see it. Oh bullshit, I'll got see it either way.

Tom Cruise's character "Maverick" is head of the Top Gun school, taking over from Tom Skerritt's "Viper."

He has to fight off a senator who wants to shit-can manned fighters and the Top Gun School in favor of drones while simultaneously teaching a new generation of fighter pilots that dog fighting is about skill and awareness, not moving a cursor on a touchscreen.

In his last class before retiring he meets a young pilot like himself, who has a natural gift for flying while also breaking the rules in both the air and on the ground.

Just before the senator succeeds in closing the book on manned naval aviation, North Koreans start beef along the 38th parallel using stolen Chinese tech (shoutout to China, we won't make you the big bad guy, but you can still be in it cuz we want your money). This tech jams all frequencies used to control drones. Rumor has it that the drone-jamming tech was brought to NKOR by a group of Old Guard Rogue PLA pilots who defected to the NORKs, taking their sophisticated fighters with them.

Maverick's graduating class is in for fight of their lives.

Well, he'd definitely have 30+ years in. LOL.

The idea that there is going to be a sequel to this movie is just stupid. Were there really people looking for a sequel? And have you seen Kelly McGillis lately?! Ish. Hollywood is truly out of ideas.

The sad thing is that there are plenty of amazing stories on a ton of topics that still haven't been told. Why not tap into some of those if they can't come up with something creative on their own?!

I think there is a story to tell. Since 1986, the world has changed a lot and just the advancements in technology is interesting enough. I just hope they invest in some good advisors to keep it realistic. You may think its stupid to make this movie, but I'll go out on a limb here and say it will make the producers some money. I'll chip in a few bucks.

Production companies are hell bent on sequels, prequels and remakes; cause they are cheaper to make (usually already own rights), with an established fan base. I'm getting really tired of it and think it's part of the reason for the rise in HBO and Netflix (and similar platforms) popularity; they make excellent new productions.

Production companies are hell bent on sequels, prequels and remakes; cause they are cheaper to make (usually already own rights), with an established fan base. I'm getting really tired of it and think it's part of the reason for the rise in HBO and Netflix (and similar platforms) popularity; they make excellent new productions.

I would agree. I am not a big fan of sequels when they come out too quickly and then continue on into oblivion. For example, I thought Terminator and T2 were cool. But, it should've ended right there because it got ridiculous, IMO. I think in some cases, a sequel is a good bet. Remakes? That's a another story. They more often than not just suck.

Back