Syria Gas Attack- What Now?

I dont know if our government can look any less credible or any more ridiculous after the gaffe Secretary Kerry threw out in London this morning. Even ABC is referring to Secretary Kerry as the "Accidental Diplomat" I dont suppose anyone thought that the Russians would pick up the ball and run with it.:rolleyes:
The video is must see TV.
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/video/accidental-diplomat-john-kerrys-decent-proposal-20205421

And Senator Reid delays the test vote shortly after he set it for Wednesday.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/09/harry-reid-syria-vote_n_3896336.html

I don't know what you are saying here, are you complaining about a delayed vote for action? Are you saying the Russian plan is bad?

I don't know what you are saying here, are you complaining about a delayed vote for action? Are you saying the Russian plan is bad?
No not at all. Im saying that Secretary Kerry's snarky remarks this morning sort of bit him in the backside. I think the Russian plan is a good one. Too bad a Nobel Peace Prize winner was not around to think of it first. ;-)
And I am glad that the Senate vote has been put on hold.

No not at all. Im saying that Secretary Kerry's snarky remarks this morning sort of bit him in the backside. I think the Russian plan is a good one. Too bad a Nobel Peace Prize winner was not around to think of it first. ;-)
And I am glad that the Senate vote has been put on hold.

Agreed.

I just think that our government had to scramble together a response. Early on the State Department itself described The Secretary's comments as "“rhetorical and hypothetical". I think the administration was caught off guard when the Russians pulled their "slam dunk" if you will.

I just think that our government had to scramble together a response. Early on the State Department itself described The Secretary's comments as "“rhetorical and hypothetical". I think the administration was caught off guard when the Russians pulled their "slam dunk" if you will.

The Russians seized upon an opportunity and are going to make out like bandits with it.

I think in the Putin's mind, he threw POTUS a bone, knowing POTUS was in between a rock and a hard place. This action makes the Russians look like the smart, good guys, and POTUS not too bright bad guy. Win win for them.

I'm amused as to how this has played out on the public stage and at the media's pleasure. Anyone have the misfortune of watching CNN early yesterday morning? Terrible pandering to the President...

I think in the Putin's mind, he threw POTUS a bone, knowing POTUS was in between a rock and a hard place. This action makes the Russians look like the smart, good guys, and POTUS not too bright bad guy. Win win for them.

Putin is trying to make the US look bad while helping their buddy Syria. Maybe I could be convinced Russia did this to avert an escalation, but Putin throwing Obama a bone? No way.

My thinking was not in an altruistic sense, but the fact that Putin knew that what he was doing was going to bail Obama out of this sticky situation and make Russia look good. But, yes, that is why I think Putin is appearing to be generous even though he really isn't.

I seriously doubt Obama's political problems mean anything to Putin. Putin saw an opportunity and seized it. If they can pull it off, it's a diplomatic coup for him. And I hate to say it, but it's the best idea I've seen come up with regards to this whole mess. Let the Russians handle it.

Hopefully, Russia delivers a real win for the world regardless of his motives and we have a positive outcome over this mess.

It doesn't change the fact that the Obama Administration's handling of the situation was horrible to say the least. He got backed into a corner and flailed once he got there.

Kerry's first real test as SoS was a big ole 5 gallon bucket of fail. He will spend the remainder of his time as SoS trying to redeem himself.

Let's all hope a positive outcome can be reached for the greater good.

Last edited:
I have to admit to being less than happy that it's Russia bailing us out, but it's far, far better than getting rolled into that mess in Syria.

Last edited:
It doesn't change the fact that the Obama Administration's handling of the situation was horrible to say the least. He got backed into a corner and flailed once he got there.
And here I thought there was all this discussion about how brilliant the President's move was politically? He's really screwed the pooch on this in that he's now given Putin a second wind and provided him with the relevance he's been seeking.

So let me get this straight..Syria has agreed to surrender the chemical weapons to Russia that they never had in the first place?

Either way, better than us putting boots on ground. Time to focus on HOME.

So let me get this straight..Syria has agreed to surrender the chemical weapons to Russia that they never had in the first place?

Either way, better than us putting boots on ground. Time to focus on HOME.
I don't recall anyone saying Syria did not have Chem Weapons, did I miss something?

So Assad stays, no punishment, civil war on-going, Russia - probably the closest war-mongers next to us provide a peaceful solution, and we look like the trigger happy morons who were about to go in guns blazing.

Awesome outcome...

sigh.

Back