"Thank You For Your Service:" Yes, Or No?

Marauder06

Intel Enabler
Verified SOF
Curious to hear thoughts on this subject, from military or non-military. Main gist is below, you can read the whole article here if you want:

"Even if our job in the service is less than optimal, we are still better people for having experienced it, and appreciate a part of life 99% of the population will never know.

None of that sounds like something we should be thanked for.

If you feel the need to thank anyone, thank our families, thank our loved ones, thank the ones that truly sacrificed, and the loved ones that continue to sacrifice."

I have evolved on this one throughout the years. A while ago somewhere here on the board, we had a conversation about wearing military/team/unit T shirts out in public before that sort of shaped my perspective on it a bit.

I used to feel like it was a bit attention seeking behavior and unnecessary, but I have found in recent memory that wearing shirts (especially memorial workout shirts of the like) leads to conversations about important topics like brothers lost or charities that are worth supporting.

It used to weird me out a bit and I would mumble something after a "thanks for what you do/your service"; now I just say "hey, thank you, I love doing it."

In the end it might be a little touchy-feely, but that person saying it is coming from a place of gratitude and thankfulness and the only reason I felt weird was because it's just part of who I am as a person, that's why I am in the military. They don't know that, and they really are thankful for me being who I am.

This right here pretty much sums up my feelings on the matter.

Want to thank us for our service? Stop saying it the way you say, “bless you” and “how are you”. While we are sure your intent is good, and you mean it, it starts to become an empty saying that at best makes us uncomfortable and at worst seems insincere. Thank us with your behavior. Thank us with your patriotism. Thank us with your love of all American Citizens even the ones you disagree with on an issue.

Its okay. I appreciate it when people thank me for serving. I certainly don't expect it, but I appreciate it. I see it more of a sign that people appreciate their military and country, not me as an individual.

I myself ALWAYS run down the old dudes with black hats to thank them for their service in WWII, Korea, Vietnam, etc. and usually get to hear a great story.

Just the other day I was wearing a hoodie from an old unit, and an anonymous couple paid for my breakfast. Greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
@amlove21 , that is a great response, and I will steal it. I get embarrassed when people thank me. I don't like the attention (for instance, my wife is planning my 50th bday party next month, I told her I just want her and the kids. I don't like the attention).

If my wife sees anyone in a 'vet' ball cap--you all know the type--she will stop and thank them. I have been amazed at the responses. Some men just nod or smile, some say 'thanks' back, a couple WWII-era vets cried.

I believe that a great deal of those that give thanks to Veterans are sincere, and because of that...I welcome them and then drive on.

I was recently thanked in a restaurant. A man that I had never met took the time to get out of his booth with his wife and children to simply walk up to me and thank me for my service. I have no reason to believe he was anything but sincere. There are still grateful people among us.

Might be an unpopular opinion but it just makes me feel awkward. I'd be the first to thank a WWII or Vietnam vet or GWOT-era combat vet. Even a lot of non-combat vets served admirably and sacrificially throughout the war on terror.

However, for most of us younger guys who have gained far more from the military life than we have ever given (sure we have to move a lot and wake up early and sleep outside in the rain, but some of us enjoy those things and would probably do them anyway regardless of job), I would much rather people thank an EMT or a cop or a firefighter. Honestly, my 2-week old stopped breathing last week and the EMTs were there within 7 minutes to give him oxygen. Your average paramedic and school teacher have done far more to serve this country than I have, and yet I also receive tax-free housing, groceries, innumerable benefits, and almost free healthcare for me and my family, oh yeah, and I also go home at noon on most Fridays.

I'm not even saying there's a way to quantify how we label those who have served enough to be thanked, but I certainly don't personally feel like I've sacrificed anything that your average first responder hasn't, so when people say it it just makes me feel odd. But that doesn't mean I don't think there are veterans in this country that absolutely deserve our gratitude. It just ain't me.

Last edited:
I for one dont wear too much mil stuff to advert my experience. Once in awhile I wear a hat or blue and gold. Folks say thanks and I say thanks for your support for the best time ever. I kinda have a soft spot for the WW2/Korea/Vietnam crew. I go out of my way to shake a mitt and see eyes light up. Especially warms me to see it.

@DozerB , while I kinda agree with you re: emergency services (EMS, FF, LEOs) and they do deserve more support, that doesn't mean you haven't sacrificed: just signing on the dotted line put you into a very rare minority, whether you've been downrange or not. Emergency services, teachers, they are not expected to go to bad places and do bad things with a reasonable probability of being injured. Just a different perspective. Now, from my vantage it doesn't mean you/we are 'less than' or 'better than', at all.

@DC , I love talking to WWII vets. In the front of my hospital last year, last spring after a cold snap, I saw an old man wearing a WWII veteran cap. I went up to chat, turned out he was a Pearl Harbor vet. Living history, and they are almost all gone.

@DC , I love talking to WWII vets. In the front of my hospital last year, last spring after a cold snap, I saw an old man wearing a WWII veteran cap. I went up to chat, turned out he was a Pearl Harbor vet. Living history, and they are almost all gone.

When we lived in Alaska I worked at a local grocery store. It one point in my line I had a Diamond, Old Scroll, and current era Ranger (WWII vet had his hat on the others shirts). The older two made fun of the "young whippersnapper". They just laughed when I muttered "3rd Batt best Batt." I saw the WWII and modern era Ranger having lunch together later in the week.

It always felt a little weird because I think the Army made me feel like a nobody unless I was with my boys, then I was a BAMF ready to kill/die.

I appreciate the company of other combat vets. I don't feel like I fit in to broader society so much anymore but I always remember the care packages, the women who were so nice, the older vets who treated me with respect.

You're welcome.

People would think you're weird if you do it here. I've had people thank "you for being on the border and protecting us" and it's fucking strange. Yeah I have to look at some awful stuff and deal with shitheads but that's what I'm paid to do. Noone does anything for free.

If I see an old fella with an RSA or military lapel badge I'll often ask where they served and I've had some interesting conversations. But if you started thanking them everyone involved would get weirded out. That's our culture though.

If you wanna thank me for my service give me more free food at Applebee's!

Joking aside, one thing that I've resorted to when people offer a thank you is a simple "thank you for your support".

I'm okay with it....but like others have said, I hardly ever wear clothing that has military stuff on it...low profile with an obscure flash/badge when I do...so I'm not usually the recipient.

But, like others have said....I do like hitting up the WWII/Korea vets.

My step-father is a retired Marine Mustang, flew CAS in F4U Corsairs in Korea, then F-4 Phatoms in Viet-nam...he turns 90 this year and still only tells the funny or interesting non-combat stories...but after my first deployment, we became much closer.

Just to echo what a lot of people have said, I try not to give away my military affiliation with clothing. Because of that Im rarely thanked for my service, but thats ok with me because a lot of the time I feel like I havent done enough to deserve it. I actually had an experience recently where I was on duty and dropped a patient off at the local civillian hospital when a mother and daughter who were walking out caught me and thanked me. My first thought was "Oh did I run on you as a patient?" And they said no, for being in the military. I guess it kinda goes to show that Im more proud of the change Ive done while in EMS than what I have done as a military member. Im proud of being in the military absolutely, but seeing tangible change in patients make it seem a lot more meaningful.

I think @amlove21 brings up an excellent point about clothing leading to a discussion. I proudly wear a POW/MIA shirt I got while helping organize an event and that has lead to some amazing conversations with people. I guess I have never really looked at it like a beacon to start the talk.

I hardly ever wear clothing that has military stuff on it

I wear accumulated sweatshirts on the weekends, or to the gym and some have my old unit insignias or US Army printed somewhere on them. Some may say its tacky or whatever, but I don't care. I am proud to have served in the units I did, with the men I did, and I don't mind wearing the swag from time to time. Like when I wear sports team swag, I've had the same experience @amlove21. Many vets have initiated conversation because we have something in common. Occasionally, someone will thank me for my service and that's ok. I think you all deserve to be recognized for your service and it also makes the Civies feel better about themselves.

Last edited:
I hate it when anyone says anything. I feel like it’s usually insincere, and if it’s sincere it comes more from a misplaced sense of awe. I’m a dude doing a job- I’m happy to talk about it. Just talk to me about my job like you talk about yours at Best Buy or a law office.

@DasBoot. Believe me there are people out there that are not superficial.

Especially if they approach you and say thank you. Because they are not obligated to talk to you. They say what they mean, or they are not saying it-- at all.

I don't want to rant because I figured there must be an inside joke, so I digress.

So yes sir, @Marauder06 . Any volunteer deserves a thank you and a heck of a lot more. It's not entitlement, it's an acknowledgement that is becoming lost in a increasingly disrespectful forgetful society. Maybe I've got it all wrong.

Glancing at the gist. The way I see it, when a person thanks a servicemember in front of their family it's is a blanket that is extended to spouse and kids. My wife agrees, she thinks wives make husbands the badasses they are and vice versa. Lastly thanking a servicemember shows that their achievements no matter how small don't go unnoticed and that servicemembers have tangible support that the nation is behind them.

IMO, it's a sign that Americans still respect their military.

You're much less likely to get thanked in the UK, let alone the rest of Europe. That stems from the fact that people here just don't care as much.

And while it can be a bit embarrassing/weird to accept a compliment like that, it's worth appreciating... if only for the fact that it should remind you that at least Americans still care about their Forces.

Back