"Thank You For Your Service:" Yes, Or No?

To offer a unique perspective. I wear a uniform, but the only "service" I have done is go to school on the taxpayer's dime. When I was a younger Midshipman, being thanked was almost shameful because I hadn't done anything. A Marine Colonel explained it to me this way: "Don't consider it a personal thanks. Certainly, you signed on the dotted line giving the United States a blank check payable up to the amount of your life. But, rather consider it a thanks to the uniform and what it represents; all that served, are serving, and will serve in defense of what Americans hold most dear..." Now when I am thanked, I simply say "Thank you for your support" and move along. I accept it on behalf of others. When I talk to my Great Uncle, or those veterans who served in Vietnam, they are grateful that society is so generous to us now when the one they served for was not.

I'm indifferent, someone says something to me, "well thank you" and move along. When I was younger I felt awkward about it, but over time you just learn to accept it and move along. A few truly mean it, many say it as its become a social norm, either way is fine, as I don't think of myself as any better than anyone else.

I do tend to go out of my way to thank Vietnam vets when I notice them (hats, shirts, overhearing conversation). I do so because I think it's horrible how those guys came home and were treated years following that war. I like to think my thank you is a little more sincere then what most of us have experienced, firm hand shake, good eye contact and I appreciate your service over there. But I'm probably just weirding dudes out and sending them into some kinda anxiety attack of "why is this fucking dude staring at me and squeezing the shit out of my hand".šŸ˜†

For me..I find it awkward but give thanks and move on...for Nam, Korean and WWII vets...I'll give my appreciation and thanks for leading the way for the rest of us. My father fought in both Korea in 52' and Nam in 67-68..it truly is an honor for me to meet those vets.

Larry David has a good understanding of "thank you for your service"

To the owners of Shadow Spear - THANKyouforyourservice
To the administrators - thankYOUforyour service
To the moderators, past and present - thankyouforYOURservice
To the members - thankyouforyourSERVICE

Larry David has a good understanding of "thank you for your service"

To the owners of Shadow Spear - THANKyouforyourservice
To the administrators - thankYOUforyour service
To the moderators, past and present - thankyouforYOURservice
To the members - thankyouforyourSERVICE
Funny as F....but....I hate that they made the Vet a pussy who got butthurt over someone not 'thanking' him.

Funny as F....but....I hate that they made the Vet a pussy who got butthurt over someone not 'thanking' him.

I used to work with a guy like that; he's in Nashville at Vanderbilt now. He would also ask everyone, up front, "do you have a military discount?" He made vets look bad, and I told him.

I used to work with a guy like that; he's in Nashville at Vanderbilt now. He would also ask everyone, up front, "do you have a military discount?" He made vets look bad, and I told him.

There are crumbs in every profession and he certainly qualifies as one. I really can't stand those types. They are the clowns of the group and simply can't be taken seriously...ever.

I've gotten it once or twice over the years, if I wore an 82nd T shirt or something. Usually, I get a nod when other dudes my age or even dudes from this era, see my memorial bracelet.

I've gotten more "thanks" while wearing my paramedic uniform. Honestly, I appreciate it but feel weird when thanked.

People would think you're weird if you do it here. I've had people thank "you for being on the border and protecting us" and it's fucking strange. Yeah I have to look at some awful stuff and deal with shitheads but that's what I'm paid to do. Noone does anything for free.

If I see an old fella with an RSA or military lapel badge I'll often ask where they served and I've had some interesting conversations. But if you started thanking them everyone involved would get weirded out. That's our culture though.

Same on this side of the Tasman. People generally get it out of their system on ANZAC day (and even then it's shown by attending the services and marches, not by cornering vets and actually thanking them) and the rest of the time we're left alone.

Same on this side of the Tasman. People generally get it out of their system on ANZAC day (and even then it's shown by attending the services and marches, not by cornering vets and actually thanking them) and the rest of the time we're left alone.

I think most people realise the intent is to remember the fallen and not celebrate the living.

First experience with this was when I was a wee lil firefighter. I was sitting on my grandpas front porch and my little cousin was sitting on my grandpas lap asking him about his time in the Army. He called my grandpa a hero which he sure as hell is to me. My grandpa pointed at me and said ā€œHim and all the other firefighters, EMTā€™s and police officers are the heroesā€.
I just sat there in silence completely taken aback. I sure didnā€™t feel like it, I felt weird coming from him. At that time the biggest thing I had done was spent a week helping fight a forestfire in Linville. Hell it makes me a bit uncomfortable even recalling it, me being as young as I am and my grandpaā€™s stories blow my mind everytime, could never fill half his shoe and Iā€™m definitely no hero was just part of a team, especially compared to the fine people on this forum or even other EMS/LEO I do miss being a rural firefighter though at times, was a kickass gig with some crazy ass dudes, good guys though.

Though Iā€™ve yet to be called white trash for being in the military Iā€™ve gotten quite a few slurs when I was FF, good times. I just say, thank you, I couldnā€™t do it without you.

I think we should be pretty greatful people support, ask some Vietnam vets how they were treated by the people. Weā€™re pretty lucky people support the military so much, regardless of how weird it makes us feel.

Whatā€™s way more weird to me, is asking for a mil discount. So I donā€™t.

No.

Hell no. Constant source of infuriation.

Latest one was at the grocery store. I walk with a permanent limp. Got blown up too many times, and after a while it caught up to me. So I go to get some Jack Daniels from the back section where they keep the liquor with a separate cash out (which I use to make a bitchin moppin and bbq sauce). And she sneers at me and says "I think you've had enough".

I said excuse me?

"You're already drunk, I can see you stumbling"

I explained to her that I am a medically retired veteran, and that's how I ALWAYS walk. Which she still refused to believe and blathered on with her bullshit until I pulled out my retired military card to shut her up.

To which came the inevitable rehearsed line:

"Thank you for y-"

Cut her off

Stop. Don't you dare. Ring it up.

Can't stand it. Fake as hell. Don't use my service to pat yourself on the back.

Today I was in a grocery store wearing a Marine Corps ball cap. A woman was running the checkout line and she said, "Thank you for your service..." (I'm tuning out)...and adds..."I appreciate your willingness to defend our country and our constitution." :-o

I paused and thanked her for making her gratitude 'real' and say 'why' she was thankful. I've never had anyone do that part before, it made me feel good.

Honestly, I don't care if they say it. If they do, I always just say "thank you" and continue like it didn't happen. I'm not above taking the discounts though. I don't actively seek them out or ask about them, but if I know they have one, I'll take it.

Just a quick note... Lowe's has a 10% Military Discount. I was wearing a military themed ball cap and the cashier asked me what the hat was about. When I said it was related to something I had done in the military, she told me about the discount. I signed up because I am doing a lot of work on the house this year so why not... They include ALL Veterans in the program, not just current Service Members.
https://www.lowes.com/l/in-store-services.html#MilitaryDiscountProgram

Oh, and parking...

Last edited:
Honestly, I don't care if they say it. If they do, I always just say "thank you" and continue like it didn't happen. I'm not above taking the discounts though. I don't actively seek them out or ask about them, but if I know they have one, I'll take it.

Just a quick note... Lowe's has a 10% Military Discount. I was wearing a military themed ball cap and the cashier asked me what the hat was about. When I said it was related to something I had done in the military, she told me about the discount. I signed up because I am doing a lot of work on the house this year so why not... They include ALL Veterans in the program, not just current Service Members.
https://www.lowes.com/l/in-store-services.html#MilitaryDiscountProgram

Oh, and parking...
View attachment 26456

It's also linked to your Lowes reward card thing, that you swipe. They always end the transaction with "thank you for your service."

Chicks have started saying ā€œthank you for your serviceā€ via tinder when I tell them Iā€™m Army. My typical response- ā€œIā€™m just here to service you.ā€ Thus far Iā€™d say Iā€™m at 50/50 success... considering 50% of the time they like it, and 50% of the time Iā€™m banned from Tinder...

If they thank me I say "it was an honor to serve".
If they don't I go about my way.

You can thank me by voting, writing your elected officials and getting out the to advocate change.

Back