The China Thread (Threat)

The last time China was in open conflict with anyone was with Vietnam in 1979, which both sides claim as a win, thought it’s generally regarded as a Viet win. Add to this the complexity of an amphibious invasion & the PRC would have to get it dead right.

The last time China was in open conflict with anyone was with Vietnam in 1979, which both sides claim as a win, thought it’s generally regarded as a Viet win. Add to this the complexity of an amphibious invasion & the PRC would have to get it dead right.

Absolutely. It’s way too risky in any case. It would disrupt Xi’s One Belt One Road grand plan, his debt-trap diplomacy...and all the other nefarious Dr Evil shit. Strategic islands, monster aircraft carriers, quantum computers etc. Zillions of dollars in investments at stake that would be at risk with a mad stab at Taiwan.

Last edited:
Absolutely. It’s way too risky in any case. It would disrupt Xi’s One Belt One Road grand plan, his debt-trap diplomacy...and all the other nefarious Dr Evil shit. Strategic islands, monster aircraft carriers, quantum computers etc. Zillions of dollars in investments at stake that would be at risk with a mad stab at Taiwan.
The other point that follows from my first is the US & it’s allies, win lose or draw, have spent considerable time on a two way range in various conflicts globally over time. I’m not discounting the PLA, as that would ignore their capabilities, but it give me food for thought.

Interesting development. My info is old now but mental health isn't (or wasn't) much of a priority in China so it wouldn't surprise me that this attitude extends out to the military as well. As for the underlying and specific cause for these submariners...who would know. High optempo with a dash of bad screening?

Back