The China Thread (Threat)

I know I can’t be the first person to have thought of this, but does this Ukraine business give China the idea that maybe they could do the same thing to Taiwan and nobody will try to stop them?

Generally from having trained with the Taiwanese at Uni and then OBC. Their Army will fight to the last man and they will lob hundreds of missiles right back at China. So the costs of unification will be horrific, China will have to level the island before they get to touch a beach.

The PRC must also sail four hours from the mainland, plenty of time to be intercepted. The Japanese navy would play a part, along with the South Korean navy, which I’m told are brutal. If successful, it will be more coercive than kinetic in my view.
The head shed in Beijing have seen that US power isn’t dead, with its economic power being leveled at Russia giving them something to think about. They need access to US currency & semiconductors & will have to tread carefully.

The response to China wouldn't be as strong as to Russia because people have much much more trade involved and China is better at buying UN votes than Russia is. However that said there would still be something and it would hurt them.

Like I said earlier, I don't think China is ramping up to, at least by force, take Taiwan any time soon. They'll want their other carriers on line at least before they do anything and the buildup will be probably even more noticeable than Russia and Ukraine and I would suggest might take a lot longer.

The response to China wouldn't be as strong as to Russia because people have much much more trade involved and China is better at buying UN votes than Russia is. However that said there would still be something and it would hurt them.

Like I said earlier, I don't think China is ramping up to, at least by force, take Taiwan any time soon. They'll want their other carriers on line at least before they do anything and the buildup will be probably even more noticeable than Russia and Ukraine and I would suggest might take a lot longer.
Yep...China is great at playing the "long" game. IMO, they are THE best at it...or at least one of the best....

FWIW, this report was published the other day:
China planned Taiwan invasion in fall, alleged Russian intel leak claims

At the end the quote is that it was a tentative consideration; interesting if true nonetheless. The headline is also a bit different to the article which mentions annexation (which could happen in a number of ways other than an invasion) but not invasion explicitly. Autumn is also typhoon season up there as well, if I remember rightly.

Either way, thanks for the link.

At the end the quote is that it was a tentative consideration; interesting if true nonetheless. The headline is also a bit different to the article which mentions annexation (which could happen in a number of ways other than an invasion) but not invasion explicitly. Autumn is also typhoon season up there as well, if I remember rightly.

Either way, thanks for the link.
Yeah, there's so much crap out there -- who knows if there's any truth to it. Just another piece of info.

So things have changed considerably in the last day or so. The Solomon Islands have a draft deal with the PRC, the bags of cash angle but with added military.
Also the announcement of closer economic cooperation between the US & Oz in the Pacific to look at economic coercion & supply chain threats.
Lastly, universities here have been advised to look elsewhere for international students away from China due to the their Thousand Talents program as it can co-opt bright minds to transfer sensitive research.

Back