The "CrossFit Culture" is a bunch of DORKS!!!

You can apply "shoddy coaching + complex XYZ" to anything and it will be a recipe for injuries. That's hardly a CF only issue.
It's in every gym, alot of high schools and some colleges, the difference they don't plaster their videos of them doing 30 shitty squat cleans (why do they refuse to call it a hang clean?) followed by 20 box jumps or whatever all over YouTube. I agree with you that's hardly exclusively a CF issue. Another gripe, if the guy from the soccer mom dead lift video is the CF god, he doesn't exactly look like a physical specimen himself.

Then it's user error if they watch 1 video and take that as gospel vice doing their due diligence regarding proper form for exercises.
Like goon175 said, at some point you're going to need a coach to critique your form in person. I've sent videos of some of my exercises to a few folks here for tips/pointers along with watching (multiple) YT videos to help fine tune things.
I think there's some dumb shit that goes on with the culture of CF, which is what this thread is about. I also think they're probably the exception and not the rule. As I've said before, it goes on elsewhere. You want to talk about bad form? Go to any XYZ global gym and tell me you don't see the same thing going on. There are instructional videos for traditional lifts on YT promoting equally poor form. Want to talk about a weird culture, how about the "bruhs" who stop to check themselves out in the mirror between cable machine sessions while wearing a weight belt and Affliction shirts.
As it goes with pretty much everything, you have to sort through the shit to find the good coaches/information. Just look at K. Star who does MWOD.

Then it's user error if they watch 1 video and take that as gospel vice doing their due diligence regarding proper form for exercises.
Like goon175 said, at some point you're going to need a coach to critique your form in person. I've sent videos of some of my exercises to a few folks here for tips/pointers along with watching (multiple) YT videos to help fine tune things.
I think there's some dumb shit that goes on with the culture of CF, which is what this thread is about. I also think they're probably the exception and not the rule. As I've said before, it goes on elsewhere. You want to talk about bad form? Go to any XYZ global gym and tell me you don't see the same thing going on. There are instructional videos for traditional lifts on YT promoting equally poor form. Want to talk about a weird culture, how about the "bruhs" who stop to check themselves out in the mirror between cable machine sessions while wearing a weight belt and Affliction shirts.
As it goes with pretty much everything, you have to sort through the shit to find the good coaches/information. Just look at K. Star who does MWOD.
Hah very good point man, every "culture" has it's fuck ups. Maybe I've just seen the CF's most visible.

You want to talk about bad form? Go to any XYZ global gym and tell me you don't see the same thing going on.

Actually, weight training and competitive weightlifting for that matter have MUCH FEWER injuries than any other sport (except arguably swimming). Yeah people do stupid stuff in commercial gyms, but the potential to hurt yourself doing curls with bad form is nowhere near the level of doing repeated explosive movements under a heavy barbell.

Interesting comparison of injury rate across sports:
http://www.velocitysp.com/multimedia/docs/lehi/Hamill,_Relative_Safety-3.pdf

Ummm... DAVE101....that link works against you not for you.... it is saying that the snatch, clean and jerk, squat, bench press, and dead lift all have extremely low rates of injury compared to other sports.

Ummm... DAVE101....that link works against you not for you.... it is saying that the snatch, clean and jerk, squat, bench press, and dead lift all have extremely low rates of injury compared to other sports.
Um... that is what I said :p
Perhaps I should change the emphasis.

Most gyms I have seen don't have a proper ramp up to their main programming. It's literally throw you to the wolves.

I disagree with this. Every single CF gym I have been to has a one to two week on-ramp program, or specific class times set aside for beginners.

I play college football and have spent the better part of the last 6 years around S/C coaches with real certifications from places like USA weightlifting and experience with NFL teams or upper echelon D1 programs and the one thing they all agree on: Crossfit is a joke and borderline dangerous.

http://frontrow.espn.go.com/2011/10/inside-crossfit-training-craze/

http://evolvedathleticsfl.blogspot.com/2009/09/nfl-players-do-crossfit.html

it doesn't do much for military/industrial athletes in fact in most cases it is counter-productive.

Crossfit gained it's following in the military/LEO community. In fact my introduction to it was on my third deployment at BIAP. A combination of SOF folks from all four branches were doing the WOD's, and I got sucked in. I can assure you they did not fall into the "never seriously exercised before" category.

Hah very good point man, every "culture" has it's fuck ups. Maybe I've just seen the CF's most visible.

No, the problem is all the "look at me" turds who put all their goofy shit on facebook.

The big issue here is clowns who put zero thought into what they do, at the gym or anywhere else. As we can all see by reading this thread, no one is changing anyone's opinion on what to do in the gym.

It is kind of like where I work. Everyone here likes to work out to some extent. The problem is what they do in the gym and how what they do reflects upon specific demands of the job. 75% of my co-workers are taller and appear to be physically stronger than man, but I can somehow outperform them in most every physical aspect of the job. The few of us who aren't physically intimidating, look like Milk on CrossFit (sorry dude :ROFLMAO: ) and we don't CF, more along the lines of Military Athlete, have fewer injuries, don't stand in front of mirrors, and hammer each other on doing shit right, as well as educating ourselves and monitoring what works and what does not. All the "big" guys around here like to drink protein shakes, bench, and ride the elliptical, and they all have back, shoulder, and knee issues.

Chest and arms boys....what the ladies like! :D

no one is changing anyone's opinion on what to do in the gym.

Beat a pretty religious crossfitter yesterday at his own WOD, and although he didn't have an elitist attitude, he did make a lot of excuses after getting beat by a guy who doesn't really xfit.

It was 150 x wall balls, 90 x double unders, 50 x burpee's, my time was roughly 15 minutes. Hit 30 double unders as he finished wall balls, and I've never done double unders before or 150 rep+ anything(i've jump roped for boxing).

He said that because I was taller(6'2" vs 5'7") that the wall balls were easier for me because I had less of a distance to toss, and I could jump easier on double unders. I didn't say anything, I just said until next time.

He was also avoiding running with me for awhile as well. I train by HR zones and he just kinda runs until he's tired I believe. Took him on a 1hr05m Z1 run the other day, finished the last 30 minutes in Z2, and he was barely trailing along the whole run.

I don't think its terrible training. But there are better ways to skin a cat. He's in great shape, and could be better IMO if he followed a decent program with loading schemes, 1RM %'s, varied run workouts(LSD/INT/ect), but he just has this attitude that refuses to jump off the crossfit bandwagon and look at other training. Seems like his knee and wrist always got something going on too.

Anyways, that's just one of my many similar experiences. I haven't seen much of the elitist attitudes.. yet. But more of a, mind set in stone, that they're going to be training crossfit no matter what you say.

He said that because I was taller(6'2" vs 5'7") that the wall balls were easier for me because I had less of a distance to toss, and I could jump easier on double unders. I didn't say anything, I just said until next time.

Kind of like the guys who tell me I can do more (far more) dead hang pullups than them or run faster than them because I am shorter, lighter, etc., rather than accept the fact that I can do more because I actually put effort into working out.

I disagree with this. Every single CF gym I have been to has a one to two week on-ramp program, or specific class times set aside for beginners.

What I mean is and I should of stated was this, I have not seen a gym do a proper screening of it's clientale. The only one I know of is NorCal S & C (Robb Wolf's gym). People are actually screened on their individual movement patterns, mechanics ect before being thrown into the workout...even if it's just a beginner's workout.

I'll come back to this but I have to run..

intensity-gauge.jpg

Progressions in everything is key. We can all beat people up with exercise, the TRICK of it all is to keep assessing your soldiers for THEIR tolerance and capacity...it's part science and part art. You need to realize when you are overdriving your soldier and when you can turn it up a little bit more...

Progressions in everything is key. We can all beat people up with exercise, the TRICK of it all is to keep assessing your soldiers for THEIR tolerance and capacity...it's part science and part art. You need to realize when you are overdriving your soldier and when you can turn it up a little bit more...

According to Glassman, "periodization as planned variations in intensity is witchcraft," and "exercise science a myth and says that no achievement in human performance has come even in part from exercise science." :hmm:

A tactically placed deload week is money. I always use loading schemes, percentages, and deload weeks.

Well, xfit also makes you good at getting spanked by real athletes. It's pretty efficient at that.
That's probably been disproven just as many times as it's been shown to be true.
This is getting to the point of being equivalent to a group of people bench racing their Chevy Vs. Ford

Back