The "CrossFit Culture" is a bunch of DORKS!!!

That's probably been disproven just as many times as it's been shown to be true.
This is getting to the point of being equivalent to a group of people bench racing their Chevy Vs. Ford
I am going to disagree with you there wholeheartedly. No elite athlete (meaning Olympian, professional athlete, or international-level athlete) uses xfit as their core fitness program. I would argue that it (with "it" meaning xfit has never produced or been credited with the success of an elite level athlete) has been proven over, and over, and over again and never been disproved. If elite athletes don't do xfit, and consistently spank xfit "athletes" when pitted head to head (which they do), that's not saying Chevy vs Ford. It's more like saying, "Chevy vs Schwinn", except everyone in the Schwinn camp consistently tells Chevy that their system is better, and smarter, and capable of producing winners, when in reality the record is 100% in favor of actual programming and specialization, and not in the camp of random non specialization.

The only time that xfit is found to be the best training program is when it is judged only against xfit. Only at the xfit games is xfit training to be found the gold standard. In every other athletic discipline, it is at best a fad and quickly dismissed by real athletes in favor of professional programming.

Wouldn't Olympians and pro/int'l athletes have a very specific goal towards which they're training? If so, then of course specialization works best.
They have decades of R&D that go into:
ABC type of training will yield 123 results for XYZ sport/event.
I guess my question then becomes, what type of events are the Athletes spanking CFers in? 1RM competitions, running, swimming, oly lifts, Fran, etc?

I'm not a Kool-Aid drinking CFer. I think it has it merits and I've personally seen people show quantitative progress in their lifts, not just their times to complete Cindy.
I was doing MA for a while but I stopped because I was having to scale the weights too much. That's when I started 5/3/1 with the specific goal of becoming stronger in those 4 lifts. Now I do my strength training 3 days a week and some kind of SOFWOD/MA/CF conditioning 2 days a week. Does my progress in 5/3/1 carry over into my conditioning work? Yes. Does my continued CF type work help increase my physical & mental conditioning? Yes.
This is what I'm using right now because I feel that it gives me the best of both worlds.

No elite athlete (meaning Olympian, professional athlete, or international-level athlete) uses xfit as their core fitness program.

in reality the record is 100% in favor of actual programming and specialization, and not in the camp of random non specialization.
In every other athletic discipline, it is at best a fad and quickly dismissed by real athletes in favor of professional programming.

That was so spot on I think that after it was typed my mom got a little wet with no idea of why :-o.

At the elite level there is a focus and specialty in role and goals, and no way random non specialization will help. If it would, professional sports would switch to that as the core program, but that isn't the case and I don't see why that would change.

I used to do CF at a gym 3-5 days a week as a supplemental workout. I don't really care much for the elitist attitude, but then again I was looking for a way to switch up my workouts, not an answer to other questions in my life. I met some really great people and some really not great people, which sounds like pretty much anywhere I have spent a decent amount of time.

I enjoy some of the workouts, I don't enjoy the majority of the community.

I guess my question then becomes, what type of events are the Athletes spanking CFers in? 1RM competitions, running, swimming, oly lifts, Fran, etc?
NOW we are getting somewhere. Actual professional athletes spank xfitters in actual athletics. The thought that "xfit is better for fitness" was invented by Greg Glassman. The very definition he uses- "Xftit increases work capacity over broad time and modal domains" is utter horseshit. He made up a definition and end state, and then largely stole the idea of how to get there from Dan John, Mark Twight, and a handful of others. The "sport of fitness" was made up, entirely, by the xfit camp. Xfit, as a community, can only be called "fitness enthusiasts", not athletes. When they venture into the real world (olympic lifting, ball sports, triathaolons, decathalons), those endeavors are horrendous. Specialization is for insects- and professionals.
Wouldn't Olympians and pro/int'l athletes have a very specific goal towards which they're training?
Don't you have specific goals? Do you want to be stronger in the big 3 lifts, be more capable at your job? Those things aren't "unknowable". I would be willing to bet that you and I could sit down and plan out exactly what you wanted to be, fitness wise, and actually program for it. Crazy, I know.
I was doing MA for a while but I stopped because I was having to scale the weights too much. That's when I started 5/3/1 with the specific goal of becoming stronger in those 4 lifts. Now I do my strength training 3 days a week and some kind of SOFWOD/MA/CF conditioning 2 days a week. Does my progress in 5/3/1 carry over into my conditioning work? Yes. Does my continued CF type work help increase my physical & mental conditioning? Yes.
This is what I'm using right now because I feel that it gives me the best of both worlds.
Here's the thing- you're not doing xfit. Xfit is a brand name. High intensity interval training has been around since the 50's. You're adding in high-intensity conditioning coupled with a linear barbell strength progression, thats all. I love SOFWOD's (I am friends with the owner/operator) as well as Rescue Athlete and some others- I think they put out great products, for all the reasons xfit doesn't. But to break it all down, it's all focused training for your bodies energy pathways (mostly glycotic) increasing metabolic process.
I'm not a Kool-Aid drinking CFer....
I don't know- you just might be. Are you wearing board shorts right now? Are you listening to crappy nu metal and contemplating getting "requitas" tattood on your stomach? Are you 3leet? :p Kidding.

I have no response to this. I think you are confusing crossfit with incest.

It was a typo, and a wildly terrible one. Was going for another "your mom joke" while at the same time responding to an email on the health status of my mom in the other window; wires crossed and then downhill from there. Attention to detail...

OK, my mistake is that I've been using CF as an all encompassing term instead of using HIIT or CF-styled training.

No board shorts.
No crappy nu metal.
No stomach tats.

I am going to disagree with you there wholeheartedly. No elite athlete (meaning Olympian, professional athlete, or international-level athlete) uses xfit as their core fitness program. I would argue that it (with "it" meaning xfit has never produced or been credited with the success of an elite level athlete) has been proven over, and over, and over again and never been disproved. If elite athletes don't do xfit, and consistently spank xfit "athletes" when pitted head to head (which they do), that's not saying Chevy vs Ford. It's more like saying, "Chevy vs Schwinn", except everyone in the Schwinn camp consistently tells Chevy that their system is better, and smarter, and capable of producing winners, when in reality the record is 100% in favor of actual programming and specialization, and not in the camp of random non specialization.

The only time that xfit is found to be the best training program is when it is judged only against xfit. Only at the xfit games is xfit training to be found the gold standard. In every other athletic discipline, it is at best a fad and quickly dismissed by real athletes in favor of professional programming.

The people that are winning the CF Games aren't doing tons of CF programming btw.

Wouldn't Olympians and pro/int'l athletes have a very specific goal towards which they're training? If so, then of course specialization works best.
They have decades of R&D that go into:
ABC type of training will yield 123 results for XYZ sport/event.

I'm not a Kool-Aid drinking CFer. I think it has it merits and I've personally seen people show quantitative progress in their lifts, not just their times to complete Cindy.

With all things equal with technique the athlete with the better general physical preparedness will probably win most events. Everything done at a Crossfit gym or a any gym is just training with the strength-speed continuum. I've never had much of an interest in Crossfit so I don't know the names of the WODs or all of the WODs that exist, I'm familiar with Metabolic conditioning/interval training though. With interval training it wouldn't be possible to train absolute strength[lift close to your 1RM]. You'll primarily do strength-speed[Olympic lift], speed-strength[jump squat] or absolute speed[box jump]. If using an insufficient load on the strength-speed exercise it'll only be a speed-strength exercise, then only the speed end of the strength-speed continuum is worked. Traditional training, depending on the programming, will give the more complete training and the complete training will be better training.

That might be the single most obvious/ambiguous/contradictory post I've ever read on here.

With all things equal with technique the athlete with the better general physical preparedness will probably win most events. Everything done at a Crossfit gym or a any gym is just training with the strength-speed continuum. I've never had much of an interest in Crossfit so I don't know the names of the WODs or all of the WODs that exist, I'm familiar with Metabolic conditioning/interval training though. With interval training it wouldn't be possible to train absolute strength[lift close to your 1RM]. You'll primarily do strength-speed[Olympic lift], speed-strength[jump squat] or absolute speed[box jump]. If using an insufficient load on the strength-speed exercise it'll only be a speed-strength exercise, then only the speed end of the strength-speed continuum is worked. Traditional training, depending on the programming, will give the more complete training and the complete training will be better training.

Dafuq.jpeg

In regards to clothing worn by CFers...the overwhelming majority at Audie Murphy appears to be really short running shorts...not even ranger panties but some nike or adidas crap (I chafe, I know lots of guys with big legs chafe, so I'm like WTF) and five finger vibrams. I personally wear basketball gym shorts...newest addition being some nike baseball shorts. Hello comfort. When I run I wear shorter gym shorts.

So did you just discover Louie Simmons?

In regards to clothing worn by CFers...the overwhelming majority at Audie Murphy appears to be really short running shorts...not even Ranger panties but some nike or adidas crap (I chafe, I know lots of guys with big legs chafe, so I'm like WTF) and five finger vibrams. I personally wear basketball gym shorts...newest addition being some nike baseball shorts. Hello comfort. When I run I wear shorter gym shorts.

That's what kills me the most about the followers of the Crossfit cult. It must be a requirement that you have to dress like an absolute wanker.

awesomethread.jpg

That might be the single most obvious/ambiguous/contradictory post I've ever read on here.

It wasn't intentional. Let's say I said if athletes were to compete against Crossfiters in a competition that includes the bench press and squat as an event that the athletes would win, someone could use an athlete like Kevin Durant as an example and he doesn't have a great potential to be strong at either event regardless of training. Same with saying traditional training is superior to Crossfit/interval training. Someone could stick to the strength side of the force-velocity curve with traditional training and speed side of the force-velocity curve with Crossfit, then neither method of training is superior to the other.

If someone were to take 20 untrained people of similar size and average athleticism, 10 doing traditional training and 10 doing Crossfit, and then have them compete against each other I wouldn't expect the ones that were doing Crossfit to win many events.

Back