The self identity thread.

To+be+fair+i+think+unisex+bathrooms+are+a+dumb+_5a0bc224dd2ca6e248dea1300c6ae093.jpg

I suspect we're having these threads/debates in part because of technology. Twenty-five, thirty years ago, before computers were everywhere, I'd read that if you can conceive of something (be it a device, program, etc), it's only a matter of time before it becomes reality.
the distance from idea to white box to shelves was shrinking.
Socially, empirical evidence has been gaining a lot more ground, but I think a lot of it is tainted by Googling rather than reading. Bottom line, ten years on from today, I can imagine Ethnic Dysphoria to be a recognized condition.
And I'd support that. It's too late for my generation maybe, but had Mechanical Dysphoria been a diagnosable condition, my life would have been different. I knew as a kid that I really was a 1977 Kawasaki Z1000. But then, as would happen now, the pawleece swore up and down that they clocked me at 12 kilometers an hour on the freeway instead of my actual foot speed of 120. Naturally the judge sided with them.

He really was a beat up Renault R6 himself.

I got drunk one time and my dog and I had a limited antelope dysphoria as we chased and tried to play with the deer in my pasture, but was quickly snapped out of it when my wife hollered from the back porch to get inside and put my clothes back on.}:-)

No wonder the deer was running from you;-).

Shaun King may be on the fence, but how about Rachel Dolezal?

And her family:

And Ms. Dolezal identified as an African-American woman.

Yeah, she also lost her job and was the subject of an amazing amount of derision. As should be. You cannot appropriate the experiences of another race. She simply did not grow up as a black woman.

Transgendered people do have certain experiences. Often being treated pretty poorly.

Gonna have to stop you on this one. Strictly speaking, Hispanic is not a race, it is an ethnicity. There are white Hispanics, black Hispanics, and even Asian Hispanics. Depending on the location of the Hispanic group there could be a mix of all three or two of the fore mentioned racial groupings. Going further, I would venture to argue that someone who has adopted a culture as their own and been indoctrinated into said culture earns the right to identify with it. Culture is not always about race.

As to the original posting, does it really matter what or how someone identifies themselves as long as it is not an imminent threat to your person? Sure you can think someone is a dumbass that claims to be a short black Thor that loves to dress up as a cabin boy during the blood moon of the solstice, and chances are they probably are. However, does it really make anyone feel better that they feel the need to call someone out? If individual freedom is the keystone of our society, then why do we even care what an individual wants to believe in their head (provided it is not a danger to themselves or others)?

The bold is so spot on.

Can I just take some time to point out how nakedly racist this controversy is? For one, this is Shaun King
shaun%2Bking3_resize.jpg

This is Shaun King in High School

Shaun%20King%20sophomore.png

I don't know about you, but he looks like a light-skinned black guy to me. But Breitbart, paragon of journalistic integrity that it is, chose to go with this sweet desaturated picture from a CNN interview

hqdefault-1.jpg

Now, it should come as no surprise that conservative media absolutely loathes BLM, and by extension, its proponents. But instead of constructively addressing the stated points of the group's platform, they take cheap shots and assassinate the character of the movement's proponents. The message here is "This guy isn't really black. Therefore, his lived experiences, including the well-documented hate crimes that he experienced during childhood, are invalid, and so is his advocacy." It's bullshit ad-hominems up and down the block with these guys. Now, it's true that Shaun King's birth certificate lists two white people on his birth certificate, Mr. King has an explanation for that

Can you imagine how shitty a situation that must be? Not only was his race and lived experiences called into question, but to address the media scorn he basically had to admit "Yeah, my mom was kind of a slut." That's fucked up. Shit, just read this whole thing Black Lives Matter activist Shaun King responds to attacks and questions about his race
A, he looks Hispanic to me.

B. "Now, it should come as no surprise that conservative media absolutely loathes BLM"

Is burning neighborhoods, calling for race riots or encouraging people to kill cops is acceptable to you?

I loathe BLM,

No wonder the deer was running from you;-).

Yeah it wasn't too funny in the morning when I was trying to pull all the prickly pear cactus thorns out of my feet and legs. Apparently I had finished off a bottle of grey goose by myself, stripped down to my boxers b/c I was hot, decided to throw the ball for my dog, he alerted on the deer and gave chase and I decided to join in the fun.

Needless to say, I'm not allowed to drink vodka at the house all day anymore. Which surprisingly enough, has cut down on the amount of glasses I used to break. lol

Yeah it wasn't too funny in the morning when I was trying to pull all the prickly pear cactus thorns out of my feet and legs. Apparently I had finished off a bottle of grey goose by myself, stripped down to my boxers b/c I was hot, decided to throw the ball for my dog, he alerted on the deer and gave chase and I decided to join in the fun.

Needless to say, I'm not allowed to drink vodka at the house all day anymore. Which surprisingly enough, has cut down on the amount of glasses I used to break. lol

Too bad we don't have a video of that. It would have gone viral:D.

Huh.

Sometimes the Google is useful for more than just looking up cool guns. Found this by accident today, was just run on our local news last night. In a nutshell, there is not a single recorded case anywhere in the United States of a predator posing as a transgender person committing a bathroom assault. There are plenty of transgender folks however, who have been assaulted in bathrooms.

To say the least, this has been a very interesting and somewhat enlightening topic for me to follow the past few days -

Huh.

Sometimes the Google is useful for more than just looking up cool guns. Found this by accident today, was just run on our local news last night. In a nutshell, there is not a single recorded case anywhere in the United States of a predator posing as a transgender person committing a bathroom assault. There are plenty of transgender folks however, who have been assaulted in bathrooms.

To say the least, this has been a very interesting and somewhat enlightening topic for me to follow the past few days -

That is what some of us have been saying from the beginning....

[QUOTE="
the well-documented hate crimes that he experienced during childhood, a[/QUOTE]

Shaun King's supposed hate crime is well-documented by whom, his supporters on Facebook? That's all I saw in that link. That doesn't seem to hold up to close scrutiny. Is there not a police report, or some kind of other official document, that substantiates his claims? I mean if this was actually the "first documented hate crime" in the state, wouldn't it on public record somewhere? Asking because I don't know, and the posted link doesn't clear it up.

Too bad we don't have a video of that. It would have gone viral:D.

I'm sure my wife would have loved that... Talking about it is one thing, she always has the deniability to save face, video and I might end up divorced or worse, be forced to listen to her bitchin for the next 50 years. Come on man, team diamondback here... lol

I'm sure my wife would have loved that... Talking about it is one thing, she always has the deniability to save face, video and I might end up divorced or worse, be forced to listen to her bitchin for the next 50 years. Come on man, team diamondback here... lol
Umm nooooo-lol. Siding with your wife. Ya know I love ya but joining her team.haha

So Kurt Schilling gets fired for posting this on his Facebook page. My initial reaction is to be outraged, but....he is a public figure who represents ESPN (or did anyway). Their company, their rules...but he didn't even post the original image, he just shared it. Hell, I'm not a public figure and I am VERY careful about what I tweet or Facebook - he should know better. Especially since the image is such an exaggeration of the issue.

Stupid way to lose your job.

ESPN fires analyst and former Red Sox pitcher Curt Schilling

upload_2016-4-20_23-19-49.png

Back