The Trump Presidency

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just real tired of satirists not going after both sides with the same punches. So if this is all that is on SNL for the next four years I'll continue to not watch as SNL hasn't done anything before this last year to get me a regular.
Have you ever heard of "punching up" in comedy? The idea is that good comedy comes from satirizing the rich, the powerful, or people who are otherwise doing well in life. SNL has always satirized the sitting president (Dana Carvey as Bush 1, Daryl Hammond as Clinton, Will Ferrel as GWB, Jay Pharaoh as Obama, etc) since its inception. Hell, they've been taking shots at Trump since the 90's, so why stop now?

They've gotten very lucky with this administration in two regards:
1. The administration is providing them tons of material. Hell, Trump's inevitable post-SNL tweet is is just bonus entertainment. Like, c'mon. Regardless of what you think of the man's policies, can you not agree that he has incredibly thin skin? The guy gets offended more often than a college liberal! While I agree that some of it feels kind of cheap, SNL more than makes up for it because...
2. Alec Baldwin's impersonation is really, really funny.

Last edited:
Have you ever heard of "punching up" in comedy? The idea is that good comedy comes from satirizing the rich, the powerful, or people who are otherwise doing well in life. SNL has always satirized the sitting president (Dana Carvey as Bush 1, Daryl Hammond as Clinton, Will Ferrel as GWB, Jay Pharaoh as Obama, etc) since its inception. Hell, they've been taking shots at Trump since the 90's, so why stop now?

They've gotten very lucky with this administration in two regards:
1. The administration is providing them tons of material. Hell, Trump's inevitable post-SNL tweet is is just bonus entertainment. Like, c'mon. Regardless of what you think of the man's policies, can you not agree that he has incredibly thin skin? The guy gets offended more often than a college liberal! While I agree that some of it feels kind of cheap, SNL more than makes up for it because...
2. Alec Baldwin's impersonation is really, really funny.

They've done a very poor job of punching hard at THIS administration, but then again they'll cater to their own views and that of their viewers rather than expanding the brain. Their criticism of Obama has been poor, just like Stewart became a huge cheerleader of the left rather than giving the viewer a 60/40. I got it, their slant is to the left just like the majority of the media. But without a middle ground it is extremely un-entertaining, because perhaps Republicans want to laugh too!

They've done a very poor job of punching hard at THIS administration, but then again they'll cater to their own views and that of their viewers rather than expanding the brain. Their criticism of Obama has been poor, just like Stewart became a huge cheerleader of the left rather than giving the viewer a 60/40. I got it, their slant is to the left just like the majority of the media. But without a middle ground it is extremely un-entertaining, because perhaps Republicans want to laugh too!
I feel like you haven't actually watched a lot of either show.

I watched about half of the Trump parody. I though it was dumb as hell, and about on a qualitative par with what SNL has recently put out about Pres. Obama in the recent past. Hot garbage. Maybe it's because I don't have a sense of humor, or maybe I don't like a dozen straight "piss joke" gags related to a disgusting rumor of an event that never even happened.

At least this episode's overtly political message didn't make the audience start crying and feeling sorry for themselves. :rolleyes:

^this is interesting, and something I'm going to follow closely. It would seem reasonable that with both Clintons out of office and with a whole bunch of time on their hands, their charities and initiatives would take off. Unless...

That list is great. He got the BEST bands. Great bands. And singers? The best singers. He got all the best singers.

Three Doors Down sold more records than every band in the world this year, if you don't count the illegals that bought Metallica's album. They won by a landslide.

No? Maybe just not your type of humor then, sir.

78b57a367cf544cf59eb9e7791c8d318.jpg
^Google image search result for 'bitter troll'^

I'm just real tired of satirists not going after both sides with the same punches. So if this is all that is on SNL for the next four years I'll continue to not watch as SNL hasn't done anything before this last year to get me a regular.
I think we talked about it, but at this point it's just the amount of material out there. Will Ferrell did pretty well for himself simply by poking fun at Pres Bush for like 8 years, if I remember. But you're right, one side of this thing is getting it way more frequently than the other.

Anyway, I will agree that I don't watch SNL regularly and even the current stuff probably won't convince me to tune in weekly.

SNL has sucked for about 10 years now. But even back then it wasn't near as good as the 90's.
TBH, unless Jimmy Fallon was giggling through a sketch or Will Ferrell was walking around in an American Flag speedo, it really wasn't even all that funny in the early 2000's either. I'm gona agree on the 90's being the last time it was actually relevant and funny as a standard. There are ok sketches now, but they're the exception.

I laughed like an idiot at this one.

saturday night live ryan gosling aliens - Bing video

I think the cast was amazing from 2011-2014. Fred Armisen, Kristen Wiig, Keenan Thompson... there were a lot of great comedians and performers on the show.

SNL was great in the early days (late 70's?)
Bass-O-matic with Dan Akroyd is a classic.

Jane & John doing the news, Gilda- Anna Rosanna Danner, John as Samurai Option, Chevy Chase doing anything, and Bill Murray the sleazy Lounge Singer.

Yup, the classic SNL:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.

File this under double standard - our resident liberals here excluded, between my sister, my mom, and most of the people I work with, it really makes me regret being subdued during the Obama years for fear of being called a racist. Fuck, now for supporting anyone but Hillary, and not joining their pink-safetypin cry ins, I'm still a racist.

Screen Shot 2017-01-16 at 10.35.53 PM.png

Protesters caught plotting to shut down Trump inauguration | Daily Mail Online

Activists who oppose President-elect Donald Trump were caught on camera in an undercover video discussing ways to disrupt a gala celebrating his inauguration, including the use of butyric acid, better known as stink bombs.

An edited video, shot by James O'Keefe's Project Veritas, a conservative group known for conducting sting operations on liberals, that was released Monday shows three members of the D.C. Anti-Fascist Coalition brainstorming ways to shut down the inauguration eve DeploraBall in Washington, D.C.

'Yeah, if you had a pint of butyric acid, I don't care how big the building is, it's closing,' an anti-Trump activist, identified as Luke Kuhn in the video, says in the opening clip.

Obama will commute the sentence of Chelsea Manning before leaving office. Manning will be released in May, instead of 2045
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/17/...-sentence.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur&_r=0

WASHINGTON — President Obama on Tuesday largely commuted the remaining prison sentence of Chelsea Manning, the army intelligence analyst convicted of an enormous 2010 leak that revealed American military and diplomatic activities across the world, disrupted the administration, and made WikiLeaks, the recipient of those disclosures, famous.

The decision by Mr. Obama rescued Ms. Manning, who twice tried to commit suicide last year, from an uncertain future as a transgender woman incarcerated at the male military prison at Fort Leavenworth, Kan. She has been jailed for nearly seven years, and her 35-year sentence was by far the longest punishment ever imposed in the United States for a leak conviction.

Now, under the terms of Mr. Obama’s commutation announced by the White House on Tuesday, Ms. Manning is set to be freed in five months, on May 17 of this year, rather than in 2045.

586.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back