The Trump Presidency

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then my reply to you is "so what?" So what if it came out of the UK. Climate Change is still contentious BTW so it's rich to say it's been debunked at this stage.

Where a dumb theory comes from is irrelevant. I could list off the top of my head at least five examples of junk science coming out of the US. Does that make all other science from the US irrelevant? I think we can quite comfortably say it doesn't.
No, the initial study has been thoroughly debunked.
The cherry picked locations to get the results they wanted (leaked e-mails proved that).
You can hang your hat on follow-up research, but the initial study isn't worth a damn.

Vaccine skeptic Robert Kennedy Jr. says Trump asked him to lead commission on ‘vaccine safety’

Kennedy says Trump asked him. Trump's camp says no decisions have been made.
This is a good point. While the thought of an anti-vaxxer leading a commission on autism should be more than a little disquieting, no decisions have been made and nothing is set in stone.

Yeah.

I guess I am being hysterical.

It isn't like raising hell about things before they become problems has ever done any good in the past...:rolleyes:

Yeah.

I guess I am being hysterical.

It isn't like raising hell about things before they become problems has ever done any good in the past...:rolleyes:
Trump also met with Gates, and... Leonardo DiCaprio on climate change. That raised some eyebrows initially.

They were nowhere near as confusing as him meeting with Romney.

This is a good point. While the thought of an anti-vaxxer leading a commission on autism should be more than a little disquieting, no decisions have been made and nothing is set in stone.

It is an anti-Vaxxer, leading a committee on vaccine safety. That is like.... I don't even have a comparison, a fucking terrible stupid idea is what that is.

My only consolation, is that I know the science stands up. But in the world PE Trump lives in, will it matter?

It is an anti-Vaxxer, leading a committee on vaccine safety. That is like.... I don't even have a comparison, a fucking terrible stupid idea is what that is.

My only consolation, is that I know the science stands up. But in the world PE Trump lives in, will it matter?
Anti-Vaxxing? You're still talking about anti-vaccines? That was SO 12 hours ago.

While you are all arguing whether vaccines cause autism, PE Trump is already talking sweeping immigration changes "day one", ignoring world reactions to his historically shitty press conference, and is apparently open to working with the country he admitted to hacking us. Hell, he's even asked the Army Corps of Engineers for advice on his border wall- cause you know, with a 3 theater international war going on, ignoring intelligence briefings and asking how America can pay for a wall (with a Mexican IOU, of course) is a priority.

In the between time, the Pres Elect said he could run both his expansive business and our government at the same time, and took to twitter to make sure an actress got what she deserved for getting under his skin for an awards speech.

That's a week. That's what we have had coming from our President Elect in a week.

Which is totally beside the point being made, no?
Nope, completely relevant. When you have so much scientific research coming out of a given country, the law of averages tells us that some of it is going to be bad. It's disingenuous to leave that half of the argument out.

While you are all arguing whether vaccines cause autism, PE Trump is taking sweeping immigration changes "day one", ignoring world reactions to his historically shitty press conference, and is apparently open to working with the country he admitted to hacking us. Hell, he's even asked the Army Corps of Engineers for advice on his border wall- cause you know, with a 3 theater international war going on, ignoring intelligence briefings and asking how America can pay for a wall (with a Mexican IOU, of course) is a priority.
Lets put some of these things into perspective-

Immigration-
Eliminating executive orders and enforcing existing laws aren't terribly extreme measures.

Historically Shitty Press Conference-
It was strange, and different; but thats what got him elected. Non-Trump supporters are rattled by his unorthodox practices.

Working with Russia-
Reagan worked much more closely with Russia than Carter did, and look what happened- he ended the cold war. I don't see Trump's end game with Russia, but I honestly don't see the current administration doing anything but making relations much worse.

Border Wall-
National security and regulating international trade were the two main reasons the Federal Gov't were created. International trade is regulated through tariffs- these tariffs are used to pay for things of national importance. If Trump imposes additional tariffs on Mexican goods to promote national security by way of the border, that would be a great use of the Federal Gov't. It would also provide a deterrent for companies to leave the US and move operations to Mexico.

Sticking with the trend of this post and taking a mini-break from trolling- The majority of the time, Trump fails to articulate these points. He uses vague language and looks for applause inducing one-liners. It shakes up his base and works well at the big rallies. It takes a bit of digging to get to the meat and potatoes of his plans, but the details are there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anti-Vaxxing? You're still talking about anti-vaccines? That was SO 12 hours ago.

While you are all arguing whether vaccines cause autism, PE Trump is already talking sweeping immigration changes "day one", ignoring world reactions to his historically shitty press conference, and is apparently open to working with the country he admitted to hacking us. Hell, he's even asked the Army Corps of Engineers for advice on his border wall- cause you know, with a 3 theater international war going on, ignoring intelligence briefings and asking how America can pay for a wall (with a Mexican IOU, of course) is a priority.

In the between time, the Pres Elect said he could run both his expansive business and our government at the same time, and took to twitter to make sure an actress got what she deserved for getting under his skin for an awards speech.

That's a week. That's what we have had coming from our President Elect in a week.

I'm afraid we have three named operations going on, we haven't been at War...in a long time, perhaps we need a Congress with balls. And I think we can curtail the Syrian front, immediately.

So instead of being a stoic he's more similar to you, regular joe on the line. No issues with that, Truman was closer to regular guy than most, and he turned out ok. Hell, everyone tries to say that Trump is a business failure, of which he is not. Truman was a business failure, Trump is a success, irregard to what he started with.

During the Cold War we may have been adversaries in a Bi-Polar world with Russia, but the red phone was used often, the Soviet Ambassador was called for an audience often with every president. Because engagement with your most powerful enemy is important. I get all the bullshit about how they're our most powerful threat, but truly, what is the most direct threat to both our ways of life? Because if radical Islam is not #1, I have some folks resting that would enjoy you explaining that to them.

For the border wall, it already exists in most places, you just have to connect it.

Lets put some of these things into perspective-

Border Wall-
National security and regulating international trade were the two main reasons the Federal Gov't were created. International trade is regulated through tariffs- these tariffs are used to pay for things of national importance. If Trump imposes additional tariffs on Mexican goods to promote national security by way of the border, that would be a great use of the Federal Gov't. It would also provide a deterrent for companies to leave the US and move operations to Mexico.

Tariffs on US Companies that decide to build their shit somewhere else but the US is still the primary market...whoda thunk that incentives would keep them here. I mean we used protectionist policies to prop up US Steel forever, but then US and National Steel failed to innovate at home which made Chinese Steel still competitive after the tariffs.

Last edited:
I'm afraid we have three named operations going on, we haven't been at War...in a long time, perhaps we need a Congress with balls. And I think we can curtail the Syrian front, immediately.

So instead of being a stoic he's more similar to you, regular joe on the line. No issues with that, Truman was closer to regular guy than most, and he turned out ok. Hell, everyone tries to say that Trump is a business failure, of which he is not. Truman was a business failure, Trump is a success, irregard to what he started with.

During the Cold War we may have been adversaries in a Bi-Polar world with Russia, but the red phone was used often, the Soviet Ambassador was called for an audience often with every president. Because engagement with your most powerful enemy is important. I get all the bullshit about how they're our most powerful threat, but truly, what is the most direct threat to both our ways of life? Because if radical Islam is not #1, I have some folks resting that would enjoy you explaining that to them.

For the border wall, it already exists in most places, you just have to connect it.
I'll say he owns the news cycle well, like no one else. If that's a compliment, not sure.

Don't really care about PE Trump's success or failure as a business man at this point, I care that he prioritizes issues important to his constituents appropriately. I don't care if he's successful or a failure; every minute spent on his businesses is a minute not spent on serving the American people. That's unacceptable to me. Can we curtail the Syrian front? Is that a priority to you? Is the Syrian front a larger priority than tet-a-tet's with actresses and border walls and replacing the ACA?

As to your bolded- this probably isn't the place to play that card.

What's the act? If you remove food stamp programs at the federal and state levels...will the people work, or will they starve?

You're missing the point.

The Government in a functioning society is not going to let its citizens starve, simple as that.

If you wish to live in a country where you either have money or starve, pop on over to Africa, I'm sure somewhere will take you in.

If you wish to live in a country where you either have money or starve, pop on over to Africa, I'm sure somewhere will take you in.
Are you somehow under the impression that food stamps are preventing people from starving to death?

If you are, you are mistaken.

We interrupt this important debate to bring you this message from Hollywood -

"They" will survive Trump.

"God bless America" . <assuming you can still say that>

Celebrities come under fire from Trump supporters for 'I Will Survive' | Daily Mail Online

We now return you to our in-progress topic at hand.

"Foodstamps...temporary subsidy for those down on their luck, or yet another government handout for lazy Americans and illegals who don't want to work"

<cause obviously it cannot be somewhere in the middle>

Last edited:
We interrupt this important debate to bring you this message from Hollywood -

"They" will survive Trump.

God bless America . <assuming you can still say that>

Celebrities come under fire from Trump supporters for 'I Will Survive' | Daily Mail Online

We now return you to our in-progress topic at hand.

"Foodstamps...temporary subsidy for those down on their luck, or yet another government handout for lazy Americans and illegals who don't want to work"

<cause obviously it cannot be somewhere in the middle>
If there's one trend that's always been a trend that I wish wasn't, it's hollywood doing crap like this, for either side. So dumb.

Are you somehow under the impression that food stamps are preventing people from starving to death?

If you are, you are mistaken.

Nope.

I addressed a post which proposed the notion that if you withdrew the majority of welfare programes, people would either work or die and if they died, that's their fault... A proposal which has no basis in reality.

As I've said already, that's just not how a functioning society works and rightly so.

If there's one trend that's always been a trend that I wish wasn't, it's hollywood doing crap like this, for either side. So dumb.

All their money and Twitter followers has given them a massively skewed idea of just how important their opinion is.

Clowns.

Last edited by a moderator:
All their money and Twitter followers has given them a massively skewed idea of just how important their opinion is.

Clowns.
I mean, I guess I understand (to a point) that they're private citizens as well, and they have opinions about politics or world events or whatever, but access to broadcasting their opinions and their opinions being somehow more valid or deserving of such attention are two different things.

Clowns is about right- I pay you to entertain me, just entertain me. I don't *actually* care about you as a person.

Clowns is about right- I pay you to entertain me, just entertain me. I don't *actually* care about you as a person.

I thought I had read that not all that long ago, actors/clowns/performers used to be lowest on the society totem pole. Assuming that to be true, I have to imagine that began to change when the first motion pictures came out -

Interesting when you really think about it, they really are like a form of royalty to more of America than not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back