The Trump Presidency

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope.

I addressed a post which proposed the notion that if you withdrew the majority of welfare programes, people would either work or die and if they died, that's their fault... A proposal which has no basis in reality.

As I've said already, that's just not how a functioning society works and rightly so.
Government does not equal society, it's just a facet of it.

Before social welfare programs, we had churches, charities, families, and more hard workers. No one was starving to death, however, they may have been uncomfortable- which is a catalyst for change.

I mean, I guess I understand (to a point) that they're private citizens as well, and they have opinions about politics or world events or whatever, but access to broadcasting their opinions and their opinions being somehow more valid or deserving of such attention are two different things.

It is essentially a bully pulpit and we clamor for the privilege of hearing their views.

It is essentially a bully pulpit and we clamor for the privilege of hearing their views.

I think it is so funny how when Denzel Washington says something the right agrees with it is fine, or even encouraged, Meryl Streep runs her suck and it is the end of the fucking world.

I think it is so funny how when Denzel Washington says something the right agrees with it is fine, or even encouraged, Meryl Streep runs her suck and it is the end of the fucking world.
Same thing for the left, it is what the media focuses on that day.

You did not reference anything specific so I am assuming you are talking about the anti-Hillary crowd (I won't say pro-Trump, because I'm struggling to fall into that category), and their claim that Denzel came out against Streep? What's funny about that is his quote is from nearly a month ago; these stupid ass "fake news" sites picked it up and portrayed it is current.

And of course my more conservative brethren take it as gospel without fact checking. Why is that? Because Denzel is black and it feels good to have him on "our" side. Please, the fact that Denzel is black and said what he said is what caused me to fact-check in the first place. I could in no way see a way that he would go after her, and he did not.

Regarding Streep -

While not the end of the world, it was these two quotes from her speech that pissed me off a bit:

"So Hollywood is crawling with outsiders and foreigners. And if we kick 'em all out, you'll have nothing to watch but football and mixed martial arts, which are not the arts."

What she (and most of Hollywood forget), is that a large number of the people who buy tickets to their movies would be very happy to chooses football and MMA over Hollywood's "art"

When the powerful use their position to bully others, we all lose.
Entertainers have been using their powerful positions to bully those whom they do not agree with for decades. It has been a while since their lectures have fallen on resentful ears, that must be hard for them.

I wish Trump would get the F off of Twitter. Some, even some on this site have said that they like his 'unfiltered' comments vs. what the filtered media reports. Just my personal opinion, but I think when you become President, a little filtering is okay.

To add - If I never hear the words "fake news" again, it will be too soon.

To add part 2: I try not to take quotes out of context, and believe I did not do so to Ms. Streep, but if you are curious, here is her full speech. (Text)

What did Meryl Streep say about Donald Trump at Golden Globes? President-elect responds

I've always found it funny that anyone would put any weight behind someone's opinion, who makes their living pretending to be someone else. That's like listening to the opinion of a MMA fighter about quantum physics, they probably wouldn't be using their head as a punching bag if they actually had a clue.

These are filthy rich people, who have zero clue what it is like to be common, if they did, they wouldn't say the stupid shit that comes out of their mouths. Meanwhile, you have a shit load of rock heads who follow their bullshit like the word of god.

I actually know a couple of very wealthy people, that will give the spill of government assistance programs and helping the poor. They do so because it's a conversation piece with their rich friends to boost their selfesteem, and they will toss into your less fortunate face the same way people claim to not be racist by having a black friend. However, the second you ask why they don't donate their worth and salary to the poor, they will come back with how hard they worked for it and how anyone can make it, they just have to put in the work. Oh, wait yeah how about that, your proud of your accomplishment of wealth, but would rather keep the poor lazy and fat on government handouts. Yeah, let's see these crybaby actors donate every single cent they have to the poor. Not just the tax break worthy charity, all of it. Than maybe I'll give a fuck about what they have to say...

However, the second you ask why they don't donate their worth and salary to the poor, they will come back with how hard they worked for it and how anyone can make it, they just have to put in the work...
It's a valid point.

Also, a lot of folks don't see any reason to donate to charity when govt redistribution of wealth through social welfare programs is already forcing them to.

Yeah, let's see these crybaby actors donate every single cent they have to the poor. Not just the tax break worthy charity, all of it. Than maybe I'll give a fuck about what they have to say...

Man, I don't give a shit about what an actor has to say ever. But this is a ridiculous thing to say. I don't expect anyone, with any amount of money, to donate it. It's a nicety that they do. But to act as though wealthy people are obligated to give away a shitload of their money is crazy. They did work for it, regardless of anyone's personal opinion on how valuable that work is. I could never be an actor. The years of living broke and focusing everything on trying to make a dream happen? I have goals for my career in the military, but if I am never able to achieve them, I'm still getting paid twice a month, have great benefits, and a retirement plan. A lot of actors spend years working wherever they can, supplementing income by waiting tables, parking cars, bartending, whatever. They have student debt and a dream of making it big. So while I don't agree with a lot of their politics, and while I think we put celebrities on way too high of a pedestal, they aren't subhuman pieces of shit who don't deserve the wealth they worked for.

Man, I don't give a shit about what an actor has to say ever. But this is a ridiculous thing to say. I don't expect anyone, with any amount of money, to donate it. It's a nicety that they do. But to act as though wealthy people are obligated to give away a shitload of their money is crazy. They did work for it, regardless of anyone's personal opinion on how valuable that work is. I could never be an actor. The years of living broke and focusing everything on trying to make a dream happen? I have goals for my career in the military, but if I am never able to achieve them, I'm still getting paid twice a month, have great benefits, and a retirement plan. A lot of actors spend years working wherever they can, supplementing income by waiting tables, parking cars, bartending, whatever. They have student debt and a dream of making it big. So while I don't agree with a lot of their politics, and while I think we put celebrities on way too high of a pedestal, they aren't subhuman pieces of shit who don't deserve the wealth they worked for.

I don't disagree with anything you said. I don't expect anyone to donate all of their wealth either. I also don't expect the government to donate the national wealth either. My point is that actors talk a good game, want the government to all sorts of things, but are unwilling to put their money where their mouth is (unless of course they are getting a tax break for it). I don't view them as sub-human, I just think they are all fake ass people living in a false reality.

I don't disagree with anything you said. I don't expect anyone to donate all of their wealth either. I also don't expect the government to donate the national wealth either. My point is that actors talk a good game, want the government to all sorts of things, but are unwilling to put their money where their mouth is (unless of course they are getting a tax break for it). I don't view them as sub-human, I just think they are all fake ass people living in a false reality.

I don't disagree with this post at all. It's not just actors that do that though. Remember #BringBackOurGirls? Actors are a microcosm of the society that creates them.

We interrupt this important debate to bring you this message from Hollywood -

"They" will survive Trump.

"God bless America" . <assuming you can still say that>

Celebrities come under fire from Trump supporters for 'I Will Survive' | Daily Mail Online

We now return you to our in-progress topic at hand.

"Foodstamps...temporary subsidy for those down on their luck, or yet another government handout for lazy Americans and illegals who don't want to work"

<cause obviously it cannot be somewhere in the middle>
Fuckin' drama nerds. Remember these dorks from high school?

eb6140942424697bf997986aac9b2d682cd18a18fe192e4f81ba32f17b629a24.jpg

Hate because I like the Hate, Mr Kraut.

PS. Whenever I adjust the thermostat in my home, I always call Leonardo DiCaprio because he's so smart about science and politics, just like all the other rich, coddled, spoiled, obscenely overpaid, undereducated and entirely detached from the real world Hollywood stars.

The list of performers at the inauguration has been announced: Toby Keith, 3 Doors Down to play inauguration concert - CNN.com

Including:
-Toby Keith
-Three Doors Down
-Lee Greenwood
-The Piano Guys
-The Frontmen of Country (who?)
-The Mormon Tabernacle Choir
-Radio City Music Hall Rockettes*
-Missouri State University Chorale
-And Jackie Evanco, runner-up on America's Got Talent, will sing the national anthem

*Apparently the performance will not be mandatory for all Rockette performers, so who knows how many will be there.

The list of performers at the inauguration has been announced: Toby Keith, 3 Doors Down to play inauguration concert - CNN.com

Including:
-Toby Keith
-Three Doors Down
-Lee Greenwood
-The Piano Guys
-The Frontmen of Country (who?)
-The Mormon Tabernacle Choir
-Radio City Music Hall Rockettes*
-Missouri State University Chorale
-And Jackie Evanco, runner-up on America's Got Talent, will sing the national anthem

*Apparently the performance will not be mandatory for all Rockette performers, so who knows how many will be there.
That list is great. He got the BEST bands. Great bands. And singers? The best singers. He got all the best singers.

Three Doors Down sold more records than every band in the world this year, if you don't count the illegals that bought Metallica's album. They won by a landslide.

Still not funny.
No? Maybe just not your type of humor then, sir.

Trump 4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
No? Maybe just not your type of humor then, sir.
I'm just real tired of satirists not going after both sides with the same punches. So if this is all that is on SNL for the next four years I'll continue to not watch as SNL hasn't done anything before this last year to get me a regular.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back