The Trump Presidency

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup. The majority of the voting public couldn't find Aleppo on a map if you marked it in fluorescent paint and told them there were enough hookers there to literally fuck them to death. He had more in common with America than the cunt, the Cheeto, and the "I'm all for the proletariat but still own three houses worth more than you scum will make in your lifetime" fuckwit from Vermont.
I don't think Johnson had anywhere NEAR the competence required to run the executive branch; I honestly don't think HE knew WTF he'd do if he took charge.

Not knowing the significant of Aleppo was an artifact of him not taking the campaign at all seriously, not some kind of identification with the common man. There are plenty of other example of him demonstrating that he was far less than serious about his campaign. It's sad; I wanted to like him, but he bore more resemblance to a rodeo clown trying not to get run over than a serious candidate, and he blew the Libertarian Party's best shot to put them on the map.

I don't think Johnson had anywhere NEAR the competence required to run the executive branch; I honestly don't think HE knew WTF he'd do if he took charge.

Not knowing the significant of Aleppo was an artifact of him not taking the campaign at all seriously, not some kind of identification with the common man. There are plenty of other example of him demonstrating that he was far less than serious about his campaign. It's sad; I wanted to like him, but he bore more resemblance to a rodeo clown trying not to get run over than a serious candidate, and he blew the Libertarian Party's best shot to put them on the map.

I don't disagree, but that doesn't mean I thought he was worse than these two main contenders. He was, to me, the best choice despite that.

He didn't do enough to win. Instead, we have what we have. America will get the government it deserves.

I like Evan McMullin. If the GOP decided to have a mutiny and support him instead of Trump in 2020, I'd be all for that.

The only reason I actually care at all is the world's reaction. Like, if we could piss off just a few people here and there, that would be great. But everyone all at once is sort of a hard thing to get over. We aren't even two weeks in to this bad boy yet.

100% agree on freaking out every time the POTUS does something. We just have to get to a spot like we did with the second Bush- we know POTUS is going to say some ridiculous crap. He's bound to screw up. We all know it. Just accept that and let's see if we can get to a place where we can move this ship forward, regardless of the idiot captain.

I care about the impact this has on largely innocent people - refugees, greencard holders, asylum seekers, and general participants in our immigration process. A lot of really sad stories - to me similar to the stuff with the global gag rule - ideologically motivated moves with almost entirely negative consequences from a policy standpoint, and almost all for show.

But I agree with your and @TLDR20 point that it's not really a huge deal from a future of the country standpoint. We're talking about a negligible amount of people when you look at the entire spectrum of our immigration policy and as sad as many of the stories are it's not enough people to have any impact on economic growth or international agreements. Similarly that protests are affecting jack and shit - and are going to burn out very quickly at this stage.

As I look at it if I take the assumption it's not just full-speed incompetence maybe that's the point. The President is able to continue to fire up his core supporters by showing he's serious in his anti-immigrant, anti-trade, anti-Islam positions from the campaign trail - without seriously impacting any real substantive policy changes, which he'll need congress to enact. Simultaneously the opposition gets further into protest fatigue - it's been 10 days, no way this level of outrage can be maintained no matter what the President does - and the President is very rapidly able to essentially do a loyalty test inside the government. Actions like this, his position on Russian hacking, and his climate change denial have pretty quickly identified for the incoming administration exactly where the institutional resistance to his policy will manifest - regulatory agencies, science-based agencies, the IC, and state dept. In that sense it makes even more sense the moves he's making with who he is appointing by-and-large (outsiders who have expressed disdain or a desire to abolish the agencies they're taking over) and the shifts he's making in the NSC and executive decision-making apparatus.

Still, as effective as those tactical moves might be in getting an administration-friendly executive branch lined up there's a huge cost. The President might not have to run for re-election for 4 more years but congress and one third of the senate do. All the President's actions so far have really hardened opposition to him in the Democratic party - which could have been motivated to work with him in some of his stated infrastructure and anti-corruption efforts at the least. It's also going to further alienate/scare any vulnerable Republicans in the same vein.

I guess though on the other side of that calculus there is an argument to be made the level of anger and protests on the left make it very difficult for any Democrats to reach across the isle - regardless of the merits of specific legislation. Further, the midterm map is generically very solid for the Republican party - and they've traditionally done very well by counting on core constituency turn-out for Republicans. President Trump got solid support from that constituency during the Presidential election (evangelicals, traditional conservative voters, older voters). Further, the evidence is mixed that a strong protest movement on the left actually translates to success at the ballot box - it certainly didn't in the 60s and 70s in the protests and riots mentioned earlier, although granted there were a variety of factors at that time.

Right, wrong, or "other", Trump's going to do what he thinks is best and damn the torpedoes of public opinion. If we fight everything then the world will become numb to any real challenges. I think a third party is needed except it won't happen. The two existing parties will unite to marginalize that third party's influence...and none of that matters as long as the Libertarians put forth clownshoes.

The Republicans should be scared shitless. People will see Trump as a Republican and the way things are going, the GOP's chances of a re-election are dimming. Facts won't matter, perception will.

This story is being a bit sensationalized; mountains and molehills kind of thing. She was an Obama holdover. She's not working for the new administration.

Is this really a surprise or that big a deal? I don't think so. As amlove1 says, Sessions is just around the corner.
Well it's being sensationalized for the timing (why fire her now? What do you gain?) and for the frequency that it happens- how many Attorney Generals have been fired throughout history?

In the end, it doesn't really do anything either way. Yates gets to look like the principled martyr, Pres Trump gets to look like the hardass authoritarian. Great.

ETA- I get that the AG gets replaced with different administrations; I am asking how many had been unceremoniously/immediately fired in the way Yates was. Via letter- classy move, Mr. Pres.

Why was she fired...idk, because she's an idiot. That statement was a letter of resignation, a bit like MacArthur ordering troops to burn the hovels of the Bonus Army, not firing him then gave way to him going head to head with Truman.

Well it's being sensationalized for the timing (why fire her now? What do you gain?) and for the frequency that it happens- how many Attorney Generals have been fired throughout history?
Fire her now because she's not his AG, she's Obama's, and she's not supportive of his policy. He's clearly in GSD mode and if she's just playing figure head, well, he doesn't need that. Dropping her is not at all an unreasonable approach.

It would be a different story if it was his selection and he bounced her already.

Last edited:
He didn't do enough to win. Instead, we have what we have. America will get the government it deserves.
I don't think there was anything Johnson could have done to win. The more he put himself in the public eye, the more he exposed himself as a bumbling stoner idiot.

Thank God for your second sentence.

This article is probably in the 'too long, don't read' category for most - especially if you're an administration loyalist as it progresses some pretty anti-Trump assumptions: How to Build an Autocracy

But, nestled in the very long article are some interesting observations and insights. I thought this one neatly summarized some things that have been discussed on this board:

"Trump has scant interest in congressional Republicans’ ideas, does not share their ideology, and cares little for their fate. He can—and would—break faith with them in an instant to further his own interests. Yet here they are, on the verge of achieving everything they have hoped to achieve for years, if not decades. They owe this chance solely to Trump’s ability to deliver a crucial margin of votes in a handful of states—Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania—which has provided a party that cannot win the national popular vote a fleeting opportunity to act as a decisive national majority. The greatest risk to all their projects and plans is the very same X factor that gave them their opportunity: Donald Trump, and his famously erratic personality. What excites Trump is his approval rating, his wealth, his power. The day could come when those ends would be better served by jettisoning the institutional Republican Party in favor of an ad hoc populist coalition, joining nationalism to generous social spending—a mix that’s worked well for authoritarians in places like Poland. Who doubts Trump would do it? Not Paul Ryan. Not Mitch McConnell, the Senate majority leader. For the first time since the administration of John Tyler in the 1840s, a majority in Congress must worry about their president defecting from them rather than the other way around."

The author, David Frum, is a speechwriter from the G.W. Bush administration and pretty strong proponent of Rove-era Republican policy. He's got solid anti-Obama credentials but is also from the never-Trump portion of the Republican party from the get-go. I won't claim comprehensive knowledge of conservative opinion writers by any stretch of the imagination but I think of him as much more Ross Duthat vs David Brooks on the spectrum if that makes sense.

This article is probably in the 'too long, don't read' category for most - especially if you're an administration loyalist as it progresses some pretty anti-Trump assumptions: How to Build an Autocracy.

Good article. A few thoughts:

1) Frum is just as scared as any never-Trumper or Democrat. His party has been usurped by Trump, Inc., and his old Bush-Rove ideology lost its luster. Because at the end of the day his brand of Republicanism isn't too different that HRC's brand of Democratism, so he waving bye-bye to the status quo.
2) Frum is right; no one knows which way Trump (and his administration) will go. Will it go crazy right, crazy left, or back and forth like a ping pong ball? No one knows because this has never happened before; there is no precedent.
3) Frum is right, Trump, Inc., is largely about a populist message. He won, right? He heard the cries of the people: tax cuts, jobs, illegal immigration, security. He plays on it.
4) The journalist Frum quotes about the media, his quote is right, and wrong. The media is biased, Trump has called them out on it. That said, look to Trump to maintain that divide and craft the 'news.'

This is unchartered territory, no one knows where the hell Trump is taking us. Frum is right, though: if you are at all concerned, you need to be working your representatives and senators to affect change in 4 years. The problem with Trumps populism is that populism is largely a fleeting feeling, and it can be bought by others. I have no doubt that the (mainstream) GOP and (mainstream) DNC will get their act together over the next four years.

I have a real problem with that. You know, prior to Obama, there was an implicit agreement not to directly criticize previous and later holders of the office (after the election, the debates were fair game). It was Obama that started it with his blaming of Bush for everything. Before that, a newly elected President might say "the economy needs to be fixed" but they wouldn't say "Bush wrecked the economy". They were also expected to avoid criticism of those Presidents that came after them. Rarely would a former President make a direct statement about the current President. Again, they might make a general statement, but they would not come right out and blame the person. Although they didn't agree with pretty much any of Obama's agenda, how many times did either Bush publically make a statement about it? Did Reagan ever make any damning statements about Bill Clinton? How about Carter about Reagan?

It sullies the dignity of the office and only adds to the Nation's divisiveness for former Presidents to make direct statements about the policies of the current President. Honestly, I don't care whether the office holder is a Democrat or Republican, they all need to keep their traps shut. Former Presidents had their chance to do things and they need to stay out of the mix of criticism of current office holders. If they don't, an inflamatory President like Trump could very well respond starting a war of words. That just cheapens our country in the eyes of the rest of the world. Think about it, two people who were/are the leaders of the free world arguing about how it should be run. That's just childish. There are enough people out there to argue the two sides without the former President getting up on a soap box.

I would feel exactly the same way if Trump made statements about whoever comes next. This is not a Trump/Obama thing. This is about having some class.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back