The Trump Presidency

Status
Not open for further replies.
How was there an eight-year assault on guns rights when AAFES (over 208 locations) started selling firearms and Illinois finally got a conceal carry law? NC, SC, and GA it all became easier to purchase weapons, get conceal carry permits, and conceal carry. I know some other states have stricter laws but come on...:whatever:
Come to California and let me tell you a story...

I have been otherwise distracted the past couple of weeks and purposely stayed out of the political threads. However, getting back into the game I have to admit I would have loved to have been an aide in the room when Obama received his first $400K speaking fee check , read this headline about our current President.

Trump: 'I thought it would be easier' - CNNPolitics.com

One has to wonder if he has stopped giggling yet.

But wouldn't every President say they missed their freedom and privacy if they were asked?
I have been otherwise distracted the past couple of weeks and purposely stayed out of the political threads. However, getting back into the game I have to admit I would have loved to have been an aide in the room when Obama received his first $400K speaking fee check , read this headline about our current President.

I guess it does come across as whining a bit.

Wouldn't most presidents say they missed the freedom to maneuver and their privacy? Maybe it does sound like he's whining a bit though.

Attachments

• IMG_4456.JPG
    IMG_4456.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 23
We have a continuing resolution to fund the government at least up to September.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/30/...column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

Some highlights:
-Fed funding for "sanctuary cities" is maintained
-Extra $15B in defense spending
-Extra $2B for NIH
-Planned Parenthood is funded
-Extra $1.5B for border security
-No money for the border wall

This sounds like a pretty thorough repudiation of the Trump administration's spending priorities.

The power of the purse and compromise. We need a real shut down where the only people getting paid are essential services and everyone else has to go home. Yeah, it would tank our economy, but this deficit spending shit is getting very annoying.

It is now and has always been embarrassing to me to only be able to "fund our government" for six and seven months at a time. What an outstanding message that sends to the rest of the world about us.

How convenient.

You just have to chuckle when it comes to timing. Yesterday, after appearing in a news interview, for the first time in a long time, HRC took personal responsibility for losing the election, and then, blamed the FBI and Russia for it. :rolleyes:

Today, Comey is now in the hot seat, testifying before congress and guess what? Feinstein is now on a lengthy tirade about Comey's actions prior to the election and also going off on Russia.

Because coincedence......and such:wall:

I think Nate Silver at 538 makes a pretty convincing case it's highly likely the Comey letter swung the election - filled with caveats i.e. the Clinton campaign made tons of other errors.

This is the article that I think makes the case most compellingly in one place: The Comey Letter Probably Cost Clinton The Election

I think it's also an interesting analysis of how much of the coverage of the letter and reluctance to admit it's impact stemmed from assumptions about HRC's victory when it released. I think it's an insight applicable to everyone about cognitive bias - even if you're not convinced of media bias the way it's commonly referenced.

I should add I think this is valuable as historical analysis - trying to understand how and why things happened for historical reference and accuracy. I don't think it provides an indictment of anyone's legitimacy or any kind of effective political lessons for running the next campaign by itself (only within context).

I'll also add I don't think anything is 'proven' in social science like this. If you believe the data and science of polling the correlation in timing and shifts alongside the Comey letter is incontrovertible - but causation is impossible to 'prove.' If you reject polling and the science around it completely (or selectively) then the article and argument will have no effect on you. If you believe (as the Trump administration claims to) that over 3 million people voted illegally, swinging the popular vote to HRC so none of the data from the election can be believed (except President Trump's victory) I'm not sure what you would make of this if anything.

Last edited:
There was a guy who worked in the plans section who prior to his Army career worked for Gallup and he said in August when our new Plans Chief came in that Trump was going to win. He talked about the science behind polling and that he didn't believe the amount of respondents they had would accurately reflect an electoral victory.

I reject 538 because Nate Silver let his writer put a bean burrito in the final four of their burrito bracket...wtf.

We're so entrenched now on one side or the other that I do not think that letter did a damn thing. I think his announcement in summer had way more of an effect than the one in October.

I think you underestimate the amount of apathetical swing voters. This is true for all countries, not just the US.

I think you underestimate the amount of apathetical swing voters. This is true for all countries, not just the US.
I am one of those apathetical swing voters.

Why the holy shit are we still talking about the election? Why is P Trump holding pep rallies? Why are people calling for Colbert to be fired- cause he wasn't PC and said mean things he thought were true in defense of his friend? Boo frickin hoo.

I read this today and it made me think of this site, and the vast generalizations that we throw around here:

What Critiques of 'Smug Liberals' Are Missing

TV and radio personalities, comedians, politicians (in general) and movie stars, are all unreliable guides to whatever political affiliation they belong to, liberal or conservative...so I can agree with the writer on that point. And that's because they're all competing for attention, they are ego-driven people anyway, and the loudest and most outrageous voices are the ones that get heard above the din of global media saturation. You and I could sit down and have a reasonable discourse in politics, but reasonable discourse isn't what drives ratings and revenue or gets a person of this ilk the attention they crave.

I am one of those apathetical swing voters.

Why the holy shit are we still talking about the election? Why is P Trump holding pep rallies? Why are people calling for Colbert to be fired- cause he wasn't PC and said mean things he thought were true in defense of his friend? Boo frickin hoo.
Because that's what they do, Obama did them, Bush did them, Clinton did them. And if you don't think they held rallies for speeches following their election...bridge in Brooklyn.

I don't watch late night TV, waste of damn time for anyone. Could be spent reading a book or some such so I had to look that up.

Getting called "deface the nation" is a sign of the times. I read mostly print and from any source until the dumb pay wall comes up. I guess no one watched the speech from the president of the WHCA where he had to state that the press wasn't the enemy of the people...isn't it that when you have to say that you really are?

In this day and age it's all about being outrageous, it's all clickbait, but clickbait is the only way to make money apparently. There was a time when journalists actually did reporting rather than opinion, they used to have a section for opinion, but now you get a lot of opinion when you just want the news.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back