Top Gun - Maverick - ** SPOILER THREAD **

I saw the original so many times that I can pretty much quote the whole movie; not just the known parts.

As the new one opened with the original ā€œgongā€ I got pretty excited!

Overall Maverick gave me everything I could have wanted, it was a modernized nostalgia piece that I am sure to see a few more times. (Seen it twice so far)

A few things I could have done without:

To me the brilliance of the original film was that you got the feeling that the pilots all knew each other; the scene in the bar introduced everyone and it felt very natural.

In the new film that scene felt super forced to me; having them literally walk in in small groups so their call signs could be announced took me out of it a bit; same with the initial Penny Benjamin scene; it just felt forced.

It was noticeably humorous that they dressed Rooster exactly like Goose in the opening scene and have him play the same song on the piano. Iā€™m assuming so that folks who had maybe not seen TG1, could be beat over the head with the idea that there was some type of connection to the guy in the montage they played with Maverick looking into the bar after heā€™d been literally thrown out. (Kinda funny)

I saw the original so many times that I can pretty much quote the whole movie; not just the known parts.

As the new one opened with the original ā€œgongā€ I got pretty excited!

Overall Maverick gave me everything I could have wanted, it was a modernized nostalgia piece that I am sure to see a few more times. (Seen it twice so far)

A few things I could have done without:

To me the brilliance of the original film was that you got the feeling that the pilots all knew each other; the scene in the bar introduced everyone and it felt very natural.

In the new film that scene felt super forced to me; having them literally walk in in small groups so their call signs could be announced took me out of it a bit; same with the initial Penny Benjamin scene; it just felt forced.

It was noticeably humorous that they dressed Rooster exactly like Goose in the opening scene and have him play the same song on the piano. Iā€™m assuming so that folks who had maybe not seen TG1, could be beat over the head with the idea that there was some type of connection to the guy in the montage they played with Maverick looking into the bar after heā€™d been literally thrown out. (Kinda funny)

I thought the Penny Benjamin add was awesome. Itā€™s a throwaway line in the first one they turned into a whole ass story.

My daughter is named Amelia, as Iā€™m a pilot, her daughter(who I thought they were gonna say was Mavs) being named Amelia was dope.

This was simply a fun, kickass movie. Happy to see the return of "the blockbuster"!

I was more than a bit skeptical of this movie because it was the sequel that really wasn't needed. But they nailed it.

There's SOOOO much more to love than to dislike about the movie. Here's some of my thoughts:

Things I would've done differently (no particular order):

1. The Darkstar scene at the beginning. It did nothing to advance the plot. I didn't hate it but the movie would've been fine without out it as well.

2. Hangman's character. A YT channel I follow captured my thoughts on the character development perfectly. In the first movie, Iceman and Maverick were at odds due to their differences in approach (Maverick a very good stick and rudder, regs are more of a guideline guy vs Iceman who was a by the book, letter of the law guy), but both both were still on the "same side"/same overall goal, despite their difference in approach. That's not the issue with Hangman in the new movie. He's just a dick.

3.CGI/artificially created scenes. As with all films today, too much/not needed, although it was very high quality. Enough said.

4. The jets didn't star/have the same screen presence as they did in the original. No aircraft today, except possibly an A-10 (USAF should get Hollywood to make this movie) could match the love and presence of the Tomcat.

Things I loved:
1. Cinematography. Stunning flying and aerial shots. Must see on the big screen. Love that they captured the actors in the back seat actually pulling Gs.

2. Nostalgic tie ins. They did this very well and just the right amount. Everything from the soundtrack to the character storylines.

3. Fun, entertaining story. Like @amlove21 said, you need to suspend some reality but who cares? Just love it for what it is.

4. The Tomcat. Still the beloved hero...even if it was CGI.

5. Good ratio of subtle jokes, Easter eggs, etc. - WSOs, etc. (ties a bit to #2 and #3 above)

Last edited:
1. The Darkstar scene at the beginning. It did nothing to advance the plot. I didn't hate it but the movie would've been fine without out it as well.

It was there to show that Maverick had been basically sidelined and he hadn't changed and that the upper brass hated him and helped reinforce how much Iceman was protecting him.

I gotta find time to watch TG1 to remember All the lines I've miss quoted over the last 25 years. I say "I want sum butts" at least 2 times a week. I said it just Yesterday When someone Erased my NERD diagram off the whiteboard.

:ROFLMAO:

I'll watch this once Ive accomplished this important task !!! Thanks for all the Inputs and opinions above...

:thumbsup:

I liked the original except I didn't buy the hot chick in seamed stockings and high heels teaching guys how to dogfight. And instead of make-believe combat scenarios, use one of our real wars to give the story some...believability.

I haven't seen the new one yet. Tom Cruise is kind of a punk to me. But...if the romantic shit is kept to a minimum and the aerial stuff is that good I might make an exception and cough up for a ticket.

I liked the original except I didn't buy the hot chick in seamed stockings and high heels teaching guys how to dogfight. And instead of make-believe combat scenarios, use one of our real wars to give the story some...believability.

I haven't seen the new one yet. Tom Cruise is kind of a punk to me. But...if the romantic shit is kept to a minimum and the aerial stuff is that good I might make an exception and cough up for a ticket.

Art imitates life:

Top Gun's Charlie Was Based On A Real-Life Person

1654116851205.png

I gotta find time to watch TG1 to remember All the lines I've miss quoted over the last 25 years. I say "I want sum butts" at least 2 times a week. I said it just Yesterday When someone Erased my NERD diagram off the whiteboard.

:ROFLMAO:

I'll watch this once Ive accomplished this important task !!! Thanks for all the Inputs and opinions above...

:thumbsup:
Be glad you're not at Fallon, all those quotes might get expensive šŸ¤£:
The Navyā€™s ā€˜Top Gunā€™ aviators have to cough up $5 if they quote the film, according to a former instructor

Back