Top Gun - Maverick - ** SPOILER THREAD **

I just saw an article about this yesterday. McGillis was reportedly very upfront about why she wasn't contacted. She made a very blunt comment something to the effect that she's "old and fat and looks age appropriate for what her age is. And that's not what that scene/movie is about". The article sounds like she has long since moved on and harbored no ill will about it.

I just saw an article about this yesterday. McGillis was reportedly very upfront about why she wasn't contacted. She made a very blunt comment something to the effect that she's "old and fat and looks age appropriate for what her age is. And that's not what that scene/movie is about". The article sounds like she has long since moved on and harbored no ill will about it.

I know a lot of women her age who are still smokin', but many times more who are not. But good on her for being insightful and understanding what it's about.

Finally saw the movie yesterday and was so fucking pumped when I left. Legit thought it was another sequel that was a pure cash grab and was gonna blow. But god damn am I happy to eat those words because this movie is fucking awesome. Probably going to see it again in IMAX if I can.

12/10. Saw it with my mom and dad while they are down here. My dad was an unsuccessful b-1 navigator and successful SOF type in the Air Force. I grew up loving all things aviation. The right stuff and top gun were a cornerstone of my childhood. I loved the nostalgia mixed with fresh twists on the story.

I got a full war boner (with my parents there don’t judge me) when I saw the skunk works logo on the dark star.

Side note- only criticism- naval aviation is putting up Ranger strike force numbers on Purple Hearts since the Gulf War, per the uniforms.

12/10. Saw it with my mom and dad while they are down here. My dad was an unsuccessful b-1 navigator and successful SOF type in the Air Force. I grew up loving all things aviation. The right stuff and top gun were a cornerstone of my childhood. I loved the nostalgia mixed with fresh twists on the story.

I got a full war boner (with my parents there don’t judge me) when I saw the skunk works logo on the dark star.

Side note- only criticism- naval aviation is putting up Ranger strike force numbers on Purple Hearts since the Gulf War, per the uniforms.

I've not seen it yet, but I'm not someone who gets wrapped around the axle about spoilers.

I saw a couple videos about inaccuracies and cringe-worthy moments, one of the things was the ribbons. Out of order, couple actors had the same ribbon twice, etc. 99.9% of the people including veterans just aren't going to recognize it, but that point 1%, it'll drive them nuts.

Saw the Right Stuff about 5 times in the theater. Dragged all my buds to see it. Read the book probably 3 times. I met Chuck Yeager briefly—to shake his hand—in 1985. And when I was a kid I wrote to NASA and got an autographed photo of Al Shepard. My wife met John Glenn after his old man orbital flight and got him to autograph his book for me. I also met Ted Williams in a Publix Deli…who was one of Glenn’s squadron mates in Korea.

Love those guys. Hero’s of my kid-hood.

Saw the Right Stuff about 5 times in the theater. Dragged all my buds to see it. Read the book probably 3 times. I met Chuck Yeager briefly—to shake his hand—in 1985. And when I was a kid I wrote to NASA and got an autographed photo of Al Shepard. My wife met John Glenn after his old man orbital flight and got him to autograph his book for me. I also met Ted Williams in a Publix Deli…who was one of Glenn’s squadron mates in Korea.

Love those guys. Hero’s of my kid-hood.

The Right Stuff is one of my favorite books, I read it every couple years. I think I've seen the movie eight, maybe nine times. I am an aviation/space nut.

My two drachmas (drachmae?) about the movie: aside from the standard things that don't make sense and cringe-worthy moments, it was outstanding. And it can absolutely stand alone which is very rare for a sequel.

Whatever they did for the special effects / CGI for the F-14 was nothing less than astonishing.

The Right Stuff is one of my favorite books, I read it every couple years. I think I've seen the movie eight, maybe nine times. I am an aviation/space nut.

My two drachmas (drachmae?) about the movie: aside from the standard things that don't make sense and cringe-worthy moments, it was outstanding. And it can absolutely stand alone which is very rare for a sequel.

Whatever they did for the special effects / CGI for the F-14 was nothing less than astonishing.

I look forward to the aerial stuff. And aircraft carrier stuff. My old man worked for Pratt & Whitney, then Sikorsky, then Norden…all part of the same corporation back then—and we had all this aviation bling all over the house. He had a Norden bomb site in a glass case in his office.

I was 8 when I had my first ever flight…on a Sikorsky S51. Made me love helos for the rest of my life.

Last edited:
Back