United States & Gun Control discussion.

Interesting topic- one I could read about for weeks.

It seems the total ban on firearms preceded Hitler's rise to power, and even Anti-Gun Chicago lawyers begrudgingly admit, or at least do not challenge the notion that it was the firearms ban of 1919 / Weimar Republic that enabled Hitler's rise.

http://www.law.uchicago.edu/files/files/67-harcourt.pdf

In January 1919, the Reichstag enacted legislation requiring the surrender of all guns to the government. This law, as well as the August 7, 1920, Law on the Disarmament of the People passed in light of the Versailles Treaty, remained in effect until 1928, when the German parliament enacted the Law on Firearms and Ammunition (April 12, 1928)—a law which relaxed
gun restrictions and put into effect a strict firearm licensing scheme. The licensing
regulations foreshadowed Hitler’s rise to power—and in fact, some argue, were enacted precisely in order to prevent armed insurrection
, such as Hitler’s attempted coup in Munich in 1923, as well as Hitler’s later rise to power. [25]

I'm too tired to back this up right now. But I will.

Interesting topic- one I could read about for weeks.

It seems the total ban on firearms preceded Hitler's rise to power, and even Anti-Gun Chicago lawyers begrudgingly admit, or at least do not challenge the notion that it was the firearms ban of 1919 / Weimar Republic that enabled Hitler's rise.

http://www.law.uchicago.edu/files/files/67-harcourt.pdf

All "Hitler" did was ban Jews from owning firearms. The anti gun ownership laws were Weimar republic laws. Germans could own weapons, restricted, yes, but could still own them.

I had a lengthy post on the Hitler/ Nazi/ Weimar gun history. Somewhere.

Edit: I thought I had a longer one. I'll keep digging.

United States & Gun Control discussion.

You did.

Why does the state allow this guy the ability to protect himself whereas Joe Marylander's fate is determined by the criminal?

Off-duty Baltimore cop kills robbery suspect brandishing toy gun | Fox News

Well, even if the state or his department restricted his right to carry off-duty he'd still be exempt under LEOSA.

That means the bigger question is why can I carry in Baltimore or DC or NYC when most people can't? State licenses to carry firearms should receive the same interstate recognition that driver's licenses and marriage licenses do.

That means the bigger question is why can I carry in Baltimore or DC or NYC when most people can't? State licenses to carry firearms should receive the same interstate recognition that driver's licenses and marriage licenses do.

Exactly my point. It seems the state of MD values the officer's life more because he's a LEO whereas I'm just a Joe.

Many of them -- if not most -- were truly unaware of the amount of actual gun crimes that were being committed within their city.

My city, Durham, NC, has a very active gun and knife club, and for every one you hear about on the news, three more happen that you don't hear about. "Homeboy EMS" does the drop-and-run at the ED.

When I mention this tidbit to locals they seem stunned. GSWs and slashings happen so often I think it has just become "white noise."

Obama to Issue Gun Control Executive Order

If and when this happens, it will be the fulfillment of everything every Right Wing radio host has been promising us for years...

The day Obama went off-script and switched gears on gun control policy
It’s not clear yet what case his team will offer him, but every sign points to a bold interpretation of Obama’s executive authority.

And here:

White House officials are seeking a way to use executive authority to close the so-called gun show loophole that allows thousands of people to buy firearms each year without a background check, but complicated legal issues have slowed the process.
Obama looks to use executive power to close gun loophole

@Marine0311 Although Obama never even ran a lemonade stand before becoming President, he was an academic, a Constitutional lawyer, and he's surrounded by lawyers. When he rolls out the EO, it will be enforceable, and legal.

For this reason, Rand Paul has started pushing a bill to pre-empt executive orders that strip Americans of their rights.

Paul pushes new bill to thwart Obama action on gun control

"So-called gun show loophole." The reason it is "so-called" is because it doesn't exist. But don't let truth get in the way of a good crisis. Of course, I am sure there are some skeevy and unethical dealers/sellers at shows subverting the law, but the volume and percentage I bet would show those numbers to be astronomically small.

I guess this means Obama wants to end private gun sales. That's who is buying and selling guns without background checks is private sales.

So, if you want to buy a gun from your grand-pappy, you will not be able to.

"So-called gun show loophole." The reason it is "so-called" is because it doesn't exist. But don't let truth get in the way of a good crisis. Of course, I am sure there are some skeevy and unethical dealers/sellers at shows subverting the law, but the volume and percentage I bet would show those numbers to be astronomically small.

A number of undercover "stings" have been put together by Bloomberg, and nothing has ever been published, no video ever released showing any kind of mass illegal activity.

I think Eric Holder actually has provided more guns to criminals than any American citizen or private company. Fast and Furious: ATF gunwalking scandal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Concur, part of the end-game is to end private sales. I have bought/sold/traded--within the law--as have millions of other gun owners. If this came to pass, certainly I will follow the law, but I could envision a thriving underground economy of people buying/selling/trading as if nothing has happened.

I could also envision that should EOs come out to that effect Congress doing something to thwart it. There are a lot of dems that get jittery when it comes to gun control; not just the -Rs.

Aren't executive orders the force of law?

Not unless we live in a dictatorship or monarchy. SCOTUS and Congress are our checks and balance of an over reaching POTUS power grab.

I would wager that criminals do not buy firearms legally and participate in the background checks, so what's the point?

Last edited:
Back