United States & Gun Control discussion.

Is that FFLs reporting sales?

Yes. In PA you fill out a 4473 and a PA State Police equivalent. The information from the PSP form is used to create the registry. Since there are no face-to-face sales of handguns in PA without going through an FFL or sheriff, all handgun, SBR and SBS sales are recorded and included in the registry. PSP makes the argument that because it doesn't include long guns in the database, it isn't a registry but they're splitting hairs. Buy a handgun in PA and I can get the details in 30 seconds on a computer.

Well, all dealer sales are traceable through E-Trace...but again, that is only for sales with unbroken dealer sales. You can only trace the weapon, not a person. Now, on the State side:

States that Require Registration of All Firearms
District of Columbia
Hawaii

States that Require Registration of Handguns
New York

States that Require New Residents to Report Their Firearms
California
Maryland (handguns and assault weapons)

States that Require Registration of Pre-Ban Assault Weapons or 50 Caliber Rifles
California (assault weapons and 50 caliber rifles)
Connecticut (assault weapons and large capacity magazines)
Hawaii (assault pistols)
Maryland (assault pistols)
New Jersey (assault weapons)
New York (assault weapons)

States that Prohibit Registries of Firearms by law
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Idaho
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Dakota
Vermont

I went from a VERY anti-gun Maryland to an INCREDIBLY pro-"do whatcha want within the law " Georgia and it feels like I'm in a different country vis a vis gun laws.

I'm the same person yet the state view me differently. Definitely an eye opener.

I hear what you are saying but let me explain.

Freedom of movement is not the same thing as regulation of flying. For example, the Constitution guarantees us freedom of movement, but the law also says you can't leave or enter the country without a passport. No passport, no travel. Driving a car- no license no travel. There are certain things the government can do to regulate travel.

I don't have a problem with a no-fly list existing, especially after 9/11. I just have a problem with the fact that no common citizen can gain access to inquire if their name is on it, and how to get it removed - 2 separate issues. If I had to roll the dice I'd wager that 99% of the people on the list probably deserve to be on it.

I definitely think it's time in America to revisit this issue and improve the administration of any such list, but as of right now, everything I've seen makes me think it should be left in place.

Yes. In PA you fill out a 4473 and a PA State Police equivalent. The information from the PSP form is used to create the registry. Since there are no face-to-face sales of handguns in PA without going through an FFL or sheriff, all handgun, SBR and SBS sales are recorded and included in the registry. PSP makes the argument that because it doesn't include long guns in the database, it isn't a registry but they're splitting hairs. Buy a handgun in PA and I can get the details in 30 seconds on a computer.

That is very disappointing....

As of January 1, 2016, licensed Texans will no longer be forced to conceal their revolvers or semi-automatic handguns while out in public.

According to a new open carry law, which Texas Governor Greg Abbott signed at a gun range last June, licensed Texans can now openly carry their firearm (as long as it’s secured in a belt or shoulder holster) in all the same places where they could already carry a concealed weapon—which is pretty much anywhere except federal buildings, courthouses, polling places, amusement parks, worship centers, sporting events, jails, and businesses like bars where more than 51 percent of their earnings come from alcohol sales.

How Texas is preparing for upcoming open carry gun law

As of January 1, 2016, licensed Texans will no longer be forced to conceal their revolvers or semi-automatic handguns while out in public.

According to a new open carry law, which Texas Governor Greg Abbott signed at a gun range last June, licensed Texans can now openly carry their firearm (as long as it’s secured in a belt or shoulder holster) in all the same places where they could already carry a concealed weapon—which is pretty much anywhere except federal buildings, courthouses, polling places, amusement parks, worship centers, sporting events, jails, and businesses like bars where more than 51 percent of their earnings come from alcohol sales.

How Texas is preparing for upcoming open carry gun law

Moving in the opposite direction of Virginia:thumbsup:. More states should consider the same action as Tx..

Last edited:
"Still, while the law isn’t exactly intended to make gun owners out of people who weren’t already privately packing heat, the prospect of seeing armed citizens walking down the sidewalk, driving in their cars, eating at restaurants, or even depositing a check at the bank has some Texans—including police—on edge."

Media loves to make big deals out of things...

Texas: you can carry in your car, no need for a CHL/open carry. Police aren't on edge, geez.....our department has put out policies about the open carry, pretty standard and not that big of a deal. Pretty sure banks will have the no carry notices.

Austin Chief of police can go suck eggs, one of the biggest liberals...in the biggest liberal city of Texas.

The Gov of Virginia ha declared that Virginia will no longer recognize CCW permits from more than a few states. He claims other states are granting CCW's to criminals. My hope is that those states do not follow suit and fail to recognise our Va CCW's. I just renewed my CCW for another five years, and I am wondering if the number of CCW's granted will drop. I think it will. Up to now, it has been legeal to open carry, as long as you have been cleared to purchase the weapon. Not many practice this, in fact it is rare to see open carry except for LEO's. I expect that will change too.

The Gov of Virginia ha declared that Virginia will no longer recognize CCW permits from more than a few states. He claims other states are granting CCW's to criminals. My hope is that those states do not follow suit and fail to recognise our Va CCW's. I just renewed my CCW for another five years, and I am wondering if the number of CCW's granted will drop. I think it will. Up to now, it has been legeal to open carry, as long as you have been cleared to purchase the weapon. Not many practice this, in fact it is rare to see open carry except for LEO's. I expect that will change too.

I fear it is going in the wrong direction. VA was and is a state I always admire for it's gun laws.

PA won't recognize any state that doesn't recognize a PA license to carry.

I fear it is going in the wrong direction. VA was and is a state I always admire for it's gun laws.

I did too, until now.

PA won't recognize any state that doesn't recognize a PA license to carry.

I hope that De. will side step this insanity. My daughter lives in "slower" De. & I spend some time there. This is what happens when a relatively unknown, slow ball player tries to curry favor with both the obama and clinton camps. Maybe they'll make him Ambasador in Bengazi:sneaky:.

Last edited:
I did too, until now.

I hope that De. will side step this insanity. My daughter lives in "slower" De. & I spend some time thee. This is what happens when a relatively unknown, slow ball player tries to curry favor with both the obama and clinton camps. Maybe they'll make him Ambasador in Bengazi:sneaky:.

FWIW, you can get a PA non-resident license. Between that, Florida and Utah you're good in virtually all the non-communist states.

"Still, while the law isn’t exactly intended to make gun owners out of people who weren’t already privately packing heat, the prospect of seeing armed citizens walking down the sidewalk, driving in their cars, eating at restaurants, or even depositing a check at the bank has some Texans—including police—on edge."

Media loves to make big deals out of things...

Texas: you can carry in your car, no need for a CHL/open carry. Police aren't on edge, geez.....our department has put out policies about the open carry, pretty standard and not that big of a deal. Pretty sure banks will have the no carry notices.

Austin Chief of police can go suck eggs, one of the biggest liberals...in the biggest liberal city of Texas.
The yahoo article is such a joke.
150 of 800 Police Chiefs expressed concern, mind you only 200 of 800 felt the need to respond; so 75% of the Police Chiefs are against open carry.

I wish we could just ban democrat's, but I guess that would be kind of unconstitutional, and maybe a bit irrational, or a poor use of common sense when dealing with irrational senseless people. IDK, I guess I'll just scream "come and take it" as I charge a round in the chamber...

And no I will not be fighting the government, its a jokingly usage of my first amendment right in support of my second amendment right, as I plan to use my forth amendment right after I bury my shit in the Texas Hill country, or maybe somewhere in west Texas, but most definitely not by the coast, as salt water is too corrosive...or is it? Maybe I should use my fifth amendment right to STFU now.

While I typically despise the NY Times (and still do in this case), here is a pretty interesting article they put out after the Newtown shooting. Their point being that 1,500 state gun bills were introduced in the year after the Newtown massacre. 178 passed at least one chamber of a state legislature, and 109 have become law.

Of those 109, 39 laws tightened gun rights while 70 of them actually loosened controls. Take a look at your state and see if you are getting what you voted for:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...s-enacted-in-the-year-since-newtown.html?_r=0

Back